Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • too hot for riding?
  • Blower
    Free Member

tis for me,suffer too much in the heat.

you?

Coyote
    Free Member

Just waiting for it to warm up a bit. 8)

No such thing as too hot, it’ll be cold, wet and blowing a gale soon enough. Enjoy it while you can.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve found that shoes can play a major part in this.. I recently replaced my trusty old Vans with some BMX trainers… I’d hoped that they would have similar venting but the padding etc makes them waaay hotter and has left me very uncomfortable and suffering generally from the heat..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

I suffer but just get with it plenty of fluids gets me through.

Blower
    Free Member

was out at 7.30am this morning for a quick few hours,before it warmed up..
    was out all day in it yesterday,foooked me,

i dont mind the cold,its the wet thats nay good.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Dunno about it being too hot, but the baby starting to scream her head off in the other room was pretty off-putting.

racefaceec90

i love this weather. 😀 the only downside is that i’ve just got a lovely new bike on friday (a lovely charge duster 😀 but got sunburnt riding it.so haven’t ridden it this weekend 🙁 but will hopefully do a nice ride tomorrow to make up for it 😀 i love the sunshine 😀

Esme
    Free Member

I agree with Blower! 90% of UK weather is perfect for me, but I really dislike heat

Even worse, I hate people going on about how lovely it is – even the weather forecasters do it!

mattstreet

Yeah, can’t deal with the heat either – especially when we get a sudden jump in the temperature. If I push it, and don’t take on enough fluids (I don’t drink enough even in normals temps!), it’s a ticket to migraine town. 😥

Far better to just sit and enjoy a beer in a shady spot. 8)

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ll ride in any weather. I quite like the heat and sun, just take lots of water/fluids with you and you’ll be fine.

Blower
    Free Member

give me the -15 anyday 🙂

angryratio
    Free Member

I’m gonna head out later.. but not until after lunch.
    No doubt it’ll just end up being a thinly disguised trip to the pub.

fourbanger
    Free Member

We start at 5.30 when it’s already 30 plus. 100Km later it can be in the 40’s. Man-up.

rOcKeTdOg

I just ride about teatime when its cooled a bit, plus the tour is on!

mogrim

Can it actually get “too hot” in the UK for riding?

SBrock
    Free Member

was out in the Dark Peak at 7am this morning, as there is no way anyone in there right mind should be riding in the middle of the day in the heat!
    Suits me any way, as I can sit down and watch the Tennis!

alpin
    Free Member

the weather has been shit here in southern germany for the last few weeks (excluding mon & tue this week).

getting bored of the dull, overcast skies. and when the sun does shine it’s usually followed by a thunder cloud.

Drac

Can it actually get “too hot” in the UK for riding?

Evidently yes. It’s also relative why we don’t get as hot as some med countries not normally anyway. Mid 20s plus is hot for us so our bodies need to adjust and acclimatise, given we only often get a few days in a run of good hot weather it can take awhile.

In the Alps in temps into the 30s I’ve always been Ok so I reckon humidity is big contributor to it too.

t-p26
    Free Member

Get out you jammy ****,you`ll be fast enough to moan when the weather turns more “british”…. some people have to look after small people today and dont have the chance!!

mogrim

Evidently yes. It’s also relative why we don’t get as hot as some med countries not normally anyway. Mid 20s plus is hot for us so our bodies need to adjust and acclimatise, given we only often get a few days in a run of good hot weather it can take awhile.

MTFU! Anyone complaining about it being “too cold” is usually called a shandy drinker, same thing goes for the heat too 🙂

Drac

That is true Mogrim that is true.

I do just get on with it but on occasions I suffer afterwards. Even more since becoming a bit thinner on top.

D0NK

Too hot? yeah if you don’t do it right, very easy to over do it, overheat and dehydrate. Gotta ease off the usual pace a bit and remind yourself to drink lots more than usual.

donsimon
    Free Member

Gotta ease off the usual pace a bit and remind yourself to drink lots more than usual.

+1, that’s why we have no racing in Spain. Oh! Hang on a minute. 😆
    Drink lots and get on with it.
    Lightweights…

Drac

If I ease off on my current pace I’ll stop, in reality I’m talking of rides of 7 maybe 8 hours or more in the sun. Not just a 3 hour pootle like yesterday even though it was hot.

D0NK

+1, that’s why we have no racing in Spain. Oh! Hang on a minute.

If it suddenly shoots up by 15-20degrees in one day does that not affect you? A few days to get used to it and we should be fine, but just as we get used to it it starts raining again.

I’m talking of rides of 7 maybe 8 hours

Hmm I find it easier on long rides, if I know it’s going to be a slog I’ll chill out and take it easy, it’s the medium rides that ruin me, shoot round at usual pace in the extra heat, finish OK but suffer for it that night/next day.

donsimon
    Free Member

If it suddenly shoots up by 15-20degrees in one day does that not affect you? A few days to get used to it and we should be fine, but just as we get used to it it starts raining again.

Temperatures have been bouncing around here too. You just get on with it.
    35ºC means going out for a ride, 20ºC means going out for a ride with a long sleeved jacket or arm warmers, 15ºC means digging the longs out. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Gotta ease off the usual pace a bit and remind yourself to drink lots more than usual.

Bring it down to a 20mph average? Right you are sir.

v8ninety

It’s warm, but that’s not the problem. When it’s hot in the UK it tends to be humid and not very breezy, which for me makes it less pleasant to be active in. That said, I get out whatever the weather, I don’t ride as much as I would like anyway, without being weather fussy!

v8ninety

Double post sorry

Blower
    Free Member

was out in the minus 15 in winter and was’nt complaining 🙂 nice and fast frosty trails bring it on!

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s warm, but that’s not the problem. When it’s hot in the UK it tends to be humid and not very breezy, which for me makes it less pleasant to be active in. That said, I get out whatever the weather, I don’t ride as much as I would like anyway, without being weather fussy!

D0NK

wish i was riding now 🙁

Jeffus
    Free Member

Mad English men in the mid day sun, its normal for us to go out in the mid day sun 😀

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

put your shorts and shirt in the freezer for a bit before you set off, Ice cubes in the camelbak – plenty of fluids. I ofen also carry a cold bottle of water to tip on my feet as they seem to get very hot, and also tip into helmet and down back of shirt to help with cooling down.

Just be wary of overcooking yourself – your body core temperature needsto stay somewhere below 30 deg, once it goes above this you could start entering the realms of heat exhaustion. If it goes above 40 heat stroke could kick in.

For me its usually humidity thats the problem rather han just straight forward heat. I cycled around Cuba a few years back and away from the coast roads it was very humid and you just can’t seem to stop pouring with sweat. I think we used as much water to throw over ourselves as we drank.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Am OK up to 30 degrees before I flake – very nice today, esp in the trees.

elaineanne
    Free Member

yep its very hot….especially if you’re at a quarry with no trees (its all open space…boiling hot…. i was sweating hot yesterday….. i prefur it cooler tbh…
    some guy i bumped into yesterday said he didnt like to wear gloves for riding (kinda bad on the hands when ya riding quarrys (lot of vibration…anyway he said “if i wear gloves i,ll end up with a tan line…he didnt want that lol. 😉

Drac

Just be wary of overcooking yourself – your body core temperature needsto stay somewhere below 30 deg, once it goes above this you could start entering the realms of heat exhaustion

EPIC FAIL!

busydog
    Free Member

Here in the desert SW of the US, riding in hot weather is, unfortunately, a fact for about 6 months of the year. It’s only 9:30AM here and already 85 degrees F. Usually in the 90-98 range if you do an after work ride. The saving grace is our low humidity–this morning it is 4% and one prays for a good 10-15 mph breeze–of course that isn’t helping much with the 10 or so forest fires burning round the state.

OCB
    Free Member

Hell yeah, for me anyways … and too bright, that’s as bad, maybe even worse than the heat. I have often find this mid-summer heat gives me err … ‘problems with my guts’ 😉 too, which is a bit rubbish (what with the risk of fly-strike n’ all).

I doubt I’ve ridden more than 20 miles in the last few weeks …

Cold / wet I can cope with but not this [savage] heat / sunlight. Still, the evening’s will be drawing in soon.

Moonhead
    Free Member

Yeah heat can make things a bit harder but as previous posters have said, plenty of fluids. I find riding in cool or cold conditions much easier.

Don’t forget the sun cream too. When I know it’s going to be hot I get out as early as I can. I also pack my hydration pack bladder with ice, suckling from a warm bladder isn’t very nice and with it being cold it encourages me to drink more.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘too hot for riding?’ is closed to new replies.