Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Too Hot!
  • tarquin
    Free Member

Went back to the UK and to Iceland over Xmas, arrived back in Australia to find myself melting.

All my spring riding and fitness has been ruined, two weeks of no riding, caught some nasty flu on the plane which has hit me for six.

It’s 30c at 10am, hitting almost 40c in the afternoon, the long term high average is only 28c, simply too hot to do anything. Bought a Breville smoothie maker and have been filling myself up with fruit to cool down and get some vit C into me.

What can I do apart from mtfu, buy a turbo or rollers for the garage?

zokes
    Free Member

MTFU, mostly

That, and get out early. What part of oz are you in, because its been 45 here recently and we’ve still found opportunities to ride early in the mirning

stevious

Guessing you won’t get much sympathy from those in the Northern Hemisphere, but I gather that you’re getting some rather high temps over on West Island. It’s pretty roasting here in New Zealand but nothing quite on your scale. What are the evening temps? Maybe get up mega early, do a quick ride then head back to bed for a nap?

tarquin
    Free Member

Rural NSW, been low 20s overnight, could try getting out at 6-7am, but my body doesn’t agree with exercise at that time!

zokes
    Free Member

could try getting out at 6-7am, but my body doesn’t agree with exercise at that time!

Quite often, that’s all there is to be done.

Which part of rural NSW – NSW is pretty big!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

We’ve had a few nights of above 30 here in Perth. It’s a tad uncomfortable but bearable with the evaporative air con. However, that’s utter pants when it’s humid and we’ve had quite a lot of that recently.

20km’s a day on the bike back and forth to work. Not too bad when I’m on an early shift and in for 7am but cycling in for 1pm is warm. I don’t miss the mud and rain much though.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Just sit still, it’s only for a few weeks. I get out about 6am and back in at 8am if I am going for a ride. Bus to work if its going to be too hot, drinking a litre of water in 10km says its a bit too extreme to be riding IMHO.

It was 47 degrees when I was camping a few weeks ago, that was particularly sticky. Back down south in Busselton this week and it feels chilly at 22 degrees today!

Rich

batfink
    Free Member

Go surfing instead – the sea’s lovely. A bit “bitey” in some places though 😯

Whenever I feel myself starting to get a cold I start taking high doses of Vit C and echinacea….. seems to work for me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is a reason the guys up in Brisbane make these….

Evenings is the time to get out, I currently shut down at about 28c so I’m trying the MTFU and train out of it. Clothing timing and practice with plenty of water.

From tassie though 34c is a heatwave down here

tarquin
    Free Member

I live in Bathurst but my work takes me over the whole “country” part of the state.

Got out for an hour before work yday which was good, will aim to do the same tomorrow or Sat.

Hitting a low 30c just coming up to lunch today, will be a high 30 come tea time, much too hot to ride!

No surfing when it’s 3 or more hours to the sea, Australia’s not all beaches I’m afraid. 🙁

Expecting my Castelli bibs to arrive any day now from Evans, with no fire damage fingers crossed.

toby1

Seriously – I rode in yesterday and had ice form on my glasses, so this is not something anyone UK based will have sympathy for.

If you live in Australia, either the native creatures are trying to kill you or the sun will – time to re-consider your chosen continent maybe?

stewartc
    Free Member

Live in Hong Kong and although we dont get those high temperatures we usually suffer from very high humidity, enough to knock you for six in summer.
    Ride earlier or later, its all good.

Coyote
    Free Member

Sympathy = 0 😐

uphillcursing
    Free Member

42 here this afternoon. Too hot for me to ride. Nice and cool in the house and car though.

corroded
    Free Member

40 in Melbourne this arvo – it’s dry not humid so it’s not actually that bad.

stumpy01

MTFU, I reckon.

Spent a week with Ciclo Montana a couple of yrs ago in July. It was 38 deg. C most days with a couple of days at 42 deg. C. We rode most of the day, with 1 rest day.

Slightly tongue in cheek i’ll admit, but guessing you won’t be riding every day?

The warm sun on my skin while riding is a distant memory!

grantway
    Free Member

Call your Mum to whip your nose

tinybits
    Free Member

It’s cool in the morning, so just MTFU and get out. You’ll get no sympathy here after months of driving rain and now -13 in the swampy lands.
    personally I find 35c about my upper limit for big XC rides, but anything under? Well, it’s just fun in the sun

zokes
    Free Member

If you live in Australia, either the native creatures are trying to kill you or the sun will

No native creatures try to kill people in Australia. The saltwater croc succeeds in killing you if it decides to, and everything else just does it unintentionally.

2hottie
    Free Member

16km ride home tonight, 41 degrees here in Adelaide, you need to mtfu! A couple of weeks back it was 45.7 degrees now that was warm ride!! I Ride in the morning, biking normally starts around 7am so done by 12 then down the beach. Hard life really.

perthmtb
    Free Member

My weekend routine – up at 5:30 (not difficult to do as it gets light at 5am), riding by 7am, finished by 10am. Still have the rest of the day to enjoy (or hide inside in the air conditioning!)

Mind, I’m not up before 8am during the week…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

at least for the next few weeks of the heat of a tassie summer my riding is under air con and a fan on the trainer – small mercies……

andrewh
    Free Member

Hmmm. Only 25 degrees here.
    Farenheit.
    You’ll be getting no sympathy.

zokes
    Free Member

Heat of a Tassie summer??? You don’t know you’re born!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

34 here is like 40 over there!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Too Hot!’ is closed to new replies.