Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Too heavy for tubeless?
  • Albanach
    Free Member

I am 17.5 stone odd (need to add a few pounds with Camelbak) and am beginning whether I am too heavy for tubeless tyres.

Quite often the rear tyre burps when out and about which means that a tube has to be put in out on the trail which causes much swearing and annoyance. I run them at between 35 and 40 invariably and use Trailrakers in the winter and either Kenda Nevegal/Maxxiss Larssen UST at other times on Mavic Crossmax Enduro rims. I can't remember the last time I had a pinch/thorn flat on the front or the rear so can see the benefit in that sense and don't particularly want to start using tubes on the rear.

Anyone else in the same position or have any comments?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I was just under 17st for a while. And with kendas/stans strips/sealent no issues at all.

adstick
    Free Member

more pressure?

br
    Free Member

Those rims are quite wide, have you tried wider tyres?

Or maybe you need to look at a Stans or UST rim and tyre combo?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm quite heavy and seem to have problems with tubeless, primarily burping of the front tyre. But I'm not sure it's caused by my weight. However I did give up on tubeless because I was tired of having to re-fit tubes each ride, and sit and strip out all the cack in the bead every time.

njee20
    Free Member

Trailraker USTs? Panaracers are infamously bad for being converted.

The only UST tyre I ever damaged was a Panaracer Trailblaster, and I destroyed 2 of them, so their early UST offerings were pants too. Do you have more problems with them, or the Kendas/Maxxis?

Albanach
    Free Member

Aye they are Trailraker USTs.

jonk

I have never had any luck with any panaracer tyres for tubeless. My mate also tried it with me and had the same fate with panaracers. Currently on maxxis with no problems.

richc
    Free Member

I am around the same weight as you and I have had no problem with UST kits and tubless rims all running either Maxxis tyres or Schwalbes.

Only problems I have had is when the sealant has dried up and I haven't noticed and then got a slow thorn puncture.

grumm
    Free Member

I weigh 16.5 stone and have never had any problems with ghetto tubeless – running much lower pressures too.

bigsi
    Free Member

What rims are you running ?

I'm over 21 stone and ran tubeless for a year with no probs. Had Mavic 719's with 2.35 Highrollers and was running between 37 – 40psi.

bigsi
    Free Member

Sorry ignoe my question as I've just re read your original post 😳

geetee1972
    Free Member

Similar weight to you and yes I have had problems as well although I have found a system that works more or less perfectly.

I tried running the UST system on my DH bike and just couldn't get it to work. I went through two sets of dual ply UST Maxxis High Rollers, pinch flatting both front and rear before I gave up on that system and went back to tubes.

On my trail bike the best success I've had is with Stans Flow rims and Maxxis High Roller/Minnion DHF 2.35 Singple Plys. Using a wire bead rear is essential although I can just about get away with a kevlar bead front. This set up works 98%.

Using Specialized Roval Traverse wheels, I can't run them tubeless on the rear with any tyre; the load in corners of the side wall is too great and I end up blowing the tyre off the rim, even with wire bead High Rollers. The front I can run tubeless with a Kevlar bead tyre.

What I've learnt from this is that tubeless success depends on a number of factors including weight, riding style, tyre pressure and tyre/rim combo. The heavier you are and the more aggressive you ride in the corners, the harder it's going to be to get working. You need a stronger side wall and wire beads to give the tyre the support it needs to prevent burping.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Too heavy for tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.