• This topic has 31 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by pcb.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • too cold in the winter
  • jekkyl

It’s getting to the point that even going for a quick blast out on your bike now involves a whole load more faffing layering up before venturing outside.
    WAFPITA the cold is.

Klunk
    Free Member

mild winters suck big time, colder the better. Nothing faster than crisp frozen trail.

turboferret

Living in India at the moment a bit of cold weather is a real novelty on the odd occasion, love riding in the snow 😀

Cheers, Rich

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not for me, perhaps one extra layer on top and when it gets really cold the Endura Thermolites.

creamegg
    Free Member

Mild and wet winter = horrible (although wont stop me going out on bike and having slidey fun in the mud)
    Cold freezing winter = happy days. Even better if it snows. I love cold crispy winters as much as hot summery days

D0NK

mild winters suck big time, colder the better

what he said, it’s a lot easier to dress for cold weather than wet weather. Tends to be less windy if it’s cold too, plus if it gets sub zero for a while you’ve got firm dry trails.

jota180
    Free Member

Hate the Winter cold
    I’m off to Lanzarote and Tenerife for the duration [or most of it]

binners

I can’t wait for the temperature to plummet for a while, and firm things up a bit under my wheels. I’m sick of riding through porridge

somafunk

Looking forward to cold frosty bike rides here, seems a shame to wish for cold weather but at least i’ll get to ride my local trails without dragging half a hundredweight of mud around with me – crazy init?….we used to wish for dry weather to ride on dusty trails but that hasn’t happened once this year due to the wet weather so we now wish for freezing conditions………..it’s gonna make riding the 6″ ruts interesting.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Don’t like the cold, do like the frozen trails 🙂

Still riding to work, find riding road really hard work when it’s really cold, no matter how much I wear, I still seem to freeze 🙁

cookeaa

Conquering the cold is half the appeal, nature cannot defeat me as I have clothes to keep me warm! an extra 5 minutes to wrap up pre-ride is not too high a price to pay IMO…

I was out sunday in the late afternoon and while it was cold but it wasn’t terribly, freezing, cold (Berkshire/Oxon) but there was lots of standing water and mud about that was more of an issue than the cold…

My winter gloves were a shade too warm on long sloggy climbs but kept the wind chill off on flat and DH bits, base layer, top and jacket kept the worst cold off of my body, I did need to open up the neck on occasion and had the pit zips open for the whole ride…
    It got a bit colder as the sun went down but TBH it’s not cold enough yet to really enjoy…

Like others have said, it’s less fun when its a muddy slog on an SS, far better for it to be rolling along of hard frozen ground that grinding through sludge. My chain was full of damp leaves and mud was piling up on the stays at the top of the hardest climb (making it harder still) and TBH That just made me wish for colder weather and less rain to make it a all bit easier and add that Crisp winter sensation…

Still better than being sat in front of the TV though…

teamslug
    Free Member

MTFU!

tonyd

Was brass monkeys this morning when I left the house! Good clothing choice meant I was comfortable all the way in though – 1 hour on the road bike. Lovely when the low sun lights up the trees at the moment.

jam-bo

was cold enough to freeze my toes last night but not firm the mud up.

crazy-legs

Love properly cold winters, bring it on. I want a repeat of the weather a couple of years ago when it was -15.
    Hate this half way house of cold wet conditions though.

pcb
    Free Member

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Sir Ranulph Fiennes (who knows a bit about cold)

rocketman
    Free Member

what I dislike more than anything about the cold weather is getting ‘kitted up’

Would much rather head out in T-shirt & shorts no fuss no bother

Someone I know lives in San Diego it’s amazing how much difference the weather makes to our lives here in the UK 🙁

soulwood
    Free Member

The good thing about cold weather is that when you go out you know you’re less likely to bump into so many other people. I was forcing myself to rest a few weeks ago as I had a nasty cough. The weather changed while I was in forced rest and I thought how cold it was and how it would be on the bike. When I got out on the bike I was reminded of how you keep warm as you are doing your exercise on the bike so the cold isn’t bad at all. However for all the “comfies” out there they barricade themselves inside and watch junk TV as they can’t bear the idea of doing anything outside.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

With a bit of frost my local trails might actually become rideable again, been avoiding some of them since May!

oldgwegg
    Free Member

As someone else said, the colder the better, especially with a dusting of snow. But last year the snow was so deep it was impossible to ride from the door. Had to put on the cross country skis instead (Madshus Glittertind, metal edges for touring and telemark turning). /fantasises about MTB with skis on either side.

atlaz
    Free Member

Last year the weather pissed me off right until it got really quite cold. Once it got below -8 degrees it was awesome. It’s really nice riding in the woods in the snow and staying dry because it’s cold enough that the snow can’t melt on you.

SaxonRider

Klunk – Member
    mild winters suck big time, colder the better. Nothing faster than crisp frozen trail.

I’m with this. It makes you feel alive!

jam-bo

does that mean he should have worn better gloves and socks?

anyway, i thought that was a billy Connelly quote.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Too cold? Pedal harder.

Northwind

I prefer winter to the height of summer, can always wrap up warmer.

njee20
    Free Member

it’s amazing how much difference the weather makes to our lives here in the UK

Rubbish! Our weather (except for the Highlands) is rarely outside the range of -5 to 30 degrees. Recent extreme events notwithstanding we don’t have masses of snow, or monsoons, or hurricanes, you don’t need air conditioning in your house, nor worry that if your heater packs up you will die in your sleep.

It’s pretty normal here!

Frozen trails are good though for sure, frozen roads not so much…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for cold being better than wet.

As long as everyone knows that faffing isn’t allowed, no stops till cake.

Takes no longer to get ready, the layers are just thicker (or some extra time putting an extra top on).

I find the trick is to:
    a) get ready really quickly (thus avoiding faffing and protential to change your mind) then sit on the sofa for 5 min letting your bodyheat warm up the layers.
    b) leave boots on a radiator by the door untill the last minute, makes getting out the door almost plesent.

cupra
    Free Member

I prefer the cold weather but the only downside for me is black ice, which caught me out late last week on the commute 🙁 As other have said I would much rather have cold and crisp rather than mild, wet and windy.

avdave2

A couple of sections of the commute had me off the bike and running this morning thanks to the farmer whose ploughed the field and then destroyed the bridleway by driving several tons of tractor down it. Can’t wait for it to freeze and get my eyeball rattled out on the rigid bike.

njee20
    Free Member

Irritatingly today looks to have started cold and crisp, with no wind, and is now changing to mild and windy, so I get to ride home over heating with a head wind the whole bloody way again!

trail_rat
    Free Member

anyone complaining about the cold

I will swap with you now ?

im in balkanabat Turkmenistan. Lovely mountainous region taht loves to eat sheep and onions.

during the day its near 30 degrees ….. almost every day

pcb
    Free Member

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘too cold in the winter’ is closed to new replies.