Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tony Blair – um. Useful or Paid off?
  • tron
    Free Member

Tony Blair's had a load of consulting roles with big businesses, along with various other well paid speaking engagements, via umpteen different companies he owns.

Am I alone in wondering how useful an ex-PM is in a business consultancy role? I really do wonder if it is deferred payment for things he did in office. Particularly after he said he'd have found another reason for us to go to war with Iraq – it made me think of a salesman trying one tack then trying another when the customer isn't interested.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I get the impression he's the first PM to make shit loads of cash from being an ex-PM. I guess he was the first of the new breed of professional **** we have now.

noteeth
    Free Member

Edited. Possibly a little bit strong.

But I do – utterly – despise him. And his ghastly wife.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has he finished bringing peace to the Middle East then?

Jamie
    Free Member

how useful an ex-PM is in a business consultancy role?

Very, as he can allow a business a greater level of access to the government.

mudshark
    Free Member

I'm interested to hear what people get out of hearing him speak – he ain't cheap.

noteeth
    Free Member

I'm interested to hear what people get out of hearing him speak

The opportunity to throw things?

I'd pay good money for that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A bit of both. He has a very useful set of contacts. A few favours to be paid back as well.

El-bent
    Free Member

I get the impression he's the first PM to make shit loads of cash from being an ex-PM. I guess he was the first of the new breed of professional **** we have now.

We have now? He's not the first EX-PM to make loads of cash through political connections, and won't be the last.

Stoner
    Free Member

wonderful line in the Final Cut where Mrs Urquart is informed that in terms of looking after a PMs future financial position they were encouraged to "make their own arrangements".

Lovely euphenism for fill yer boots on the way out. 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

Lovely euphenism for fill yer boots on the way out

"You might very well think that…."

Stoner
    Free Member

You dont mind if I call you Daddy, do you?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

He's crap, I bet he can't even dodge a shoe like his mate Dubya either!

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Well if you wan to pay to speak to Tony Blair you will learn:-

1. How to lie
    2. How to create targets to totally F*ck up the Education System, NHS,etc etc
    3. How to manipulate these targets to fool everyone that your doing an amazing job.
    4. How to change faith and become a Catholic (They welcomed Tony Blair as their as corrupt as he is).
    5.Go to War

Amongst many other things.

He would have to pay me to hear him speak.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

he ain't cheap

Nope……he's the highest paid speaker in the world I believe.

So yeah, resigning his Sedgefield seat because 'politics' was no longer of any use to him, was a very wise move.

And the Blair Rich Project is going very well indeed.

khant

noteeth
    Free Member

"Soon I will be everyone's Daddy.”

toys19
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    khant

+ 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You speak Sarf Landen too toys19 ? ………..ace 8)

noteeth
    Free Member

khant

+1

Kant: "By a lie, a man… annihilates his dignity as a man."

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cant:

Empty, hypocritical talk

gonefishin
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure John Major has used his position in a similar way, so no I don't think Tony Blair is the first.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

gonefishin, JM has indeed made a few bob since leaving office. He's written a very good book on cricket as well.

Oh and his wife has raised scads of cash for charities, but she just likes to keep it quiet. (Mixes a mean Pimms as well, I might add!)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

his wife ………. Mixes a mean Pimms

What……..she's not too generous with the ol'gin, ain't she ?

btw, John Major waited until the next general election, before standing down. In other words, he waited until the end of the game before going off to do other things.

Tony Blair should still be MP for Sedgefield – he never said in 2005 that he only wanted the job for a few months.

But then of course if he wasn't Prime Minister, then Tony Blair didn't want to hang around wasting his time with 'politics' when there was serious money to be made. After all, that was the whole point of him entering politics – ie, a "career move".

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

his wife ………. Mixes a mean Pimms

What……..she's not too generous with the ol'gin, ain't she ?

btw, John Major waited until the next general election, before standing down. In other words, he waited until the end of the game before going off to do other things.

Never had a G&T from her, only Pimms!

Good point re the election. JM stood down the right way, IMO.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Never had a G&T from her, only Pimms!

No gin in the Pimms ? How uncivilised ……next you'll be saying that there was no cucumber and mint either 😐

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh dear, time to educate the great unwashed….

There is gin in Pimms, it is true. However, one cannot be generous or otherwise with it, as it is already mixed you see? If it was a gin and tonic, however, one can be generous as the amount of gin can be varied.

😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Oh dear, time to educate the great unwashed….

Please do, before I go and take the coal out of the bathtub to have a wash…..

How did she manage to mix a mean Pimms if apparently, it is already mixed you see? 😕

I was initially quite impressed at the thought of Norma mixing her own Pimms

……..please don't tell me that the salmon and cucumber sandwichs came from M&S 😐

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, I see. Well, the Pimms itself is already mixed, as the alcoholic element of the drink. The "mixing" involved is how one blends this with lemonade (Schweppes by preference) and various fruit accompaniments.

😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The "mixing" involved is how one blends this with lemonade (Schweppes by preference)

Schweppes ??????? **** SCHWEPPES !!!!!!!

What's wrong with good ol' "English-style" lemonade ??????

No wonder Britain's going down the pan…………when the toffs no longer know what's what.

<gobsmacked> 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tony Blair – um. Useful or Paid off?’ is closed to new replies.