Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tonsilectomy recovery
  • wwaswas

15 year old daughter having tonsils out in August. Wife and I have booked 5 days away in the motorhome in northern France starting 10 days later, leaving her home with her 20 year old brother.

Had a pre-op appt with a nurse today and it was suggested that it might not be best to leave her as complications can set in at around 10-15 days.

So, would you go? Would you enjoy it or just worry?

jekkyl

Whats the worst that these complications could arise to?
    Does her bother drive and have access to a car? if yes, then I’d go and perhaps ring twice a day. He is 20 and an adult.

wwaswas

this says 5-10 days (when the ‘scabs’ come off) is risk point for additional bleeding and this is what the nurse was concerned about. I guess 10days+ is the outer limits of that? https://www.openanesthesia.org/post-tonsillectomy_complications/

(son has a car (30 year old mini but it still counts?) and we’re a 15 minute taxi from a&e in any event)

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

My brother had his tonsils out as a kid. He bled about a week after, blood transfusions, infection, fortnight in hospital. I had mine out as an adult and everything went fine (if you eat food with a bit of texture to it like mashed potato rather than soft food like icecream it’s supposed to help slough off the dead skin cells and stop big scabs forming so you don’t get the horrible pain and bleeding in the second week). It does really hurt and make you feel miserable though – not sure I’d want to be at the mercy of my brother while going through that (although my brother is a total git).

PiknMix
    Free Member

Whats the worst that these complications could arise to?

The stitches split, you bleed profusely, it starts to come out of your nose then clogs meaning you can’t breathe. Can’t really talk to explain what’s happening and it was the single scariest experience of my life.

I was in hospital for 3 weeks.

The real pisser was that they did such a bad job of taking them out, they re-grew and I had to have them out again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tonsilectomy recovery’ is closed to new replies.