Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • tonight my chain snapped….i have a question (non chain related)
  • watsontony
    Free Member

was on my way to do some street and my chain snapped, so i turned around and walked home. now my question is why was my hope pro2 hub clicking when the bike was chainless?

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Maybe the rear mech (as no chain acting on the mech spring) was touching the cassette and stoping it turning with the wheel?

watsontony
    Free Member

no i checked that. the wheel functions perfect apart from this. could it be a pawl issue? i cant really see how tho 😕

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If the cassette/sprocket was stationary or rotating at a slower speed than the wheel then you’ll get the ratchet clicking. This would happen if the cassette/sprocket was dragging on the central stationary spindle due to the viscosity of the grease.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The elzibub?
    Ghosts?
    Poltergeist, there I have it.

float
    Free Member

how are we supposed to know? youre the one with the bike in front of you…

watsontony
    Free Member

how are we supposed to know? youre the one with the bike in front of you…

ermmm because this is stw you guys know…….. and it aint that simple i am pretty sure its going to be fishy going ons in the freehub thought someone might of had same problem seeing how popular pro2’s are…………. bikebouy i think you may be onto something. with the

Ghosts

Grimy
    Free Member

Because the sum of the friction of the bearings in the actual free hub that run on the axle are greater than that of the pawls in the ratchet. Nothing much to worry about, but might be worth cleaning or replacing your free hub bearings if it bothers you. So long as the free hub spins freely then theres really nothing actually wrong, its just a quirk of the design.

Sorry I know thats a boring answer. Lets just go back to ghosts! 🙂

watsontony
    Free Member

thanks grimy will order new bearing pawls and springs and do a rebuild. i was looking at it thinking how are you doing this.(did not exactly have a clear head i was having to walk 5miles home:) )

hambl90
    Free Member

I might be wrong as I’ve had a few jd’s tonight but if you’re not driving the wheel with the chain ain’t that the same as freewheeling ?

watsontony
    Free Member

the chain is gone and still clicking when pushed does not matter now anyways. grimys answer made a lot of sense

muckytee
    Free Member

My Shimano hub does the same thing, It’s been serviced quite a few times so there isn’t anything wrong with it. Just what Grimy said.

Euro
    Free Member

It’s possible to ride without a chain by harnessing the awesome power of pump (although hills are a bit tiring).

watsontony
    Free Member

It’s possible to ride without a chain by harnessing the awesome power of pump (although hills are a bit tiring).

yea got quite away with the power of pump. just forgot about no chain a few times and tried to pedal. i hurt my leg:(

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘tonight my chain snapped….i have a question (non chain related)’ is closed to new replies.