Tonight. 19:30 UK time. Raise a glass…

Home Forum Chat Forum Tonight. 19:30 UK time. Raise a glass…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Tonight. 19:30 UK time. Raise a glass…
  • Isn’t it 18:30 UK time? Cape Canaveral is EST? Ie 2 mins time!

Murray

19:20 UTC according to SpaceX on Twitter but “<span style=”color: #6a6a6a; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;”>Time</span><span style=”color: #545454; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;”> is an illusion. </span><span style=”color: #6a6a6a; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;”>Lunchtime doubly so.”</span>

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Launch count down suggests 19.20 GMT

Murray

Now slipped to 20:45

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Blimey it’s like STW did the rocket.

bikebouy

Are they sending a Tesla into space in “ludicrous” mode?

Is Musk driving it?

Is he providing the charging point too?

Or is this a Presentation piece about “I need moar funding”??

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

The man does have flair really.  Loving the simulation.

Premier Icon Ming the Merciless
    Subscriber

I think it’s a bit windy at altitude which is the reason given for delay.  Still think it’s a waste, nasty chemical rockets.  Should put his money into something exotic like an Orion, wormholes or a Bergenholm.

sharkbait

**** awesome. Inspiring.

Mr Woppit

Fantastic. Way to go Douglas.

Spacex. Welcome to the new cosmic Century.

THAT was brilliant!

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

that is how you nail a landing.  incredible

superfli

Bloody hell, that was great! All the family watching that and amazed!

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

so cool that we are allowed TWO threads – one for each booster 😉

Mr Woppit

Time for a gargleblaster.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I just hope that Superlifter didn’t crash into the GCU Of Course I Still Love You too hard…

Subscriber

Fin Point!

love the “Don’t Panic” on the cars dashboard.

tails

I thought they were just sending a car to space, didn’t know they were landing the rockets that’s what all the whooping was about. I was watching thinking NASA have been doing this for years.

So they’ll try to reuse the rockets? What was landing on the landing station at sea, where the cameras went fuzzy?

Subscriber

Still waiting on confirmation of the Sea pad landing.  Apparently the vibes from the rocket upset the camera radio system sometimes

I think Musk just out-cooled Zaphod Beeblebrox.

So they’ll try to reuse the rockets?

Space X have been reusing boosters, and their dragon spacecraft, for a while. I think this is the first time they’ve tried to land three at once. Watching those two booster land together was pretty amazing.

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

So they’ll try to reuse the rockets

not only that, the two outer boosters had already been used once each

Premier Icon nuke
    Subscriber

That was awesome. Brilliant stuff

…But what about the core? Nothing on Twitter etc yet that i can find. Hope it made it too

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

That landing video clip looks like something off the gif thread!

tails

How do the booster remain stable when returning to base, did I miss the parachutes? Did only the top of the phyalic rocket enter space and the big booster returned as well? Last question where did Mr Musk get all his money from I thought tesla was not profitable yet and flying rockets certainly isn’t, his PayPal business seems to have only made him a billion or so.

Anyway cool project and I like those tesla so especially the one with the lambourghini doors.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Presumably the core landing’s gone wrong, i guess the question is whether they own 1 drone ship or 2 now 😛 But if that’s all that goes wrong it’s a spectacular win.

“How do the booster remain stable when returning to base, did I miss the parachutes?”

They gave up on parachutes early on, the landing’s done entirely powered. Though

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Well, that was bloody brilliant.  The booster landing was like something Gerry Anderson would’ve dreamt up.

Nit picking: the on-booster footage was surely the same engine?  Flight similarities aside, both were headed for the same landing pad until it cut away.

The man does have flair really.  Loving the simulation.

Credit where it’s due, it wasn’t a million miles from reality.  If I’d seen that animation before the actual footage I’d have thought, “yeah right.”

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Fascinating stuff and commercially disruptive, heavy payloads at a fraction of the price of existing systems including Arian

Presumably the core landing’s gone wrong

Looks that way. I’ve been following musk on twitter and he’s been quick to put out anything positive and there’s been no mention so far of the core landing.

He has said that the upper stage is all progressing according to plan so the separation must have gone ok.

sharkbait

… although there is a voice saying that the era of big satellites is nearing an end as they all become smaller through miniaturisation.

This is more about his Mars ambitions though.

swanny853

his PayPal business seems to have only made him a billion or so.

I think that got him enough to get the early rockets going which got NASA money coming in. I think he was pretty close to being ‘that guy who made a load of money and blew it all on rockets’.

swanny853

https://waitbutwhy.com/2017/03/elon-musk-post-series.html

If you’vve not read it there’s some interesting stuff here

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

If I live to see men/women land on Mars i will be a happy old man.

How they will shield occupants from radiation and provide long term life support are the real interesting developments to come.

Wish the British were even in the race..

Mr Woppit

Stig In Space.

legend

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>… although there is a voice saying that the era of big satellites is nearing an end as they all become smaller through miniaturisation</span>

and that craft can take 60* tonnes of small satellites up at a time

*not actually if they want the boosters back

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Just watching the live feed of the car with the Earth coming round behind it.

Surreal and pretty stunning by any standard.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to top