Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Tomorrow's a more important day than you think.
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Its National Cream Tea Day!!

Something to celebrate, whichever way the referendum goes!

bencooper
    Free Member

Apart from the heretics who put the cream on before the jam.

BoardinBob

Hugely important day tomorrow.

it’s the first day we’re allowed to wear shorts in the office on dress down friday

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Apart from the heretics who put the cream[b]jam[/b] on before the jam cream.

FIFY 😉

ferrals
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

Only idiots do that, you can’t get anywhere near a sufficient amount of cream on that way.

edit. no no no big n daft, a skim of jam, a dollop of cream. the only way. I’d actually forego the jam altogether

Next years referendum?

Rubber_Buccaneer

big_n_daft – Member

Clue’s in the name 🙂 Jam first

everyone
    Free Member

Not being from Devon/Cornwall so I feel I can look at this with clear vision.

Surely from a logic standpoint it’s more sensible to have the jam on the bottom due to the fact that it’s significantly easier to spread than the clotted cream is. Thinking about it, why would you even try and spread clotted cream? Just dollop that stuff on!

jimdubleyou

Why this need to spread jam?

Jam goes on with a spoon. In dollops.

Hmmmm Jam.

thenorthwind

Jam goes on with a spoon. In dollops.

And risk uneven jam distribution? Not on my watch!

medoramas
    Free Member

Not being from the UK, but living in Devon for 10 years and for some time earlier in Cornwall I found that the only possible way is having two scones: one jam-cream, the other cream-jam.

#problemsolved

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

See, if you were having a jam sandwich you’d put the butter on first. Butter and cream are similar dairy products so I continue the logic. It’s entirely possible to get half the supplied cream on a scone, evenly distributed, and half the jam on top. Being a midlander it’s all about efficiency for me. 🙂

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Butter and cream are

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

dairy products

😆

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

… because you wouldn’t have cream with Marmite would you?

QED 8)

ferrals
    Free Member

I guess a lot depends up the scone and the jam consistancy, not to mention the cream and whether you get the nice crusty bit or some of the runnier stuff. How long the cream and jam have been out of the fridge and what the day is like would be important. I can see I’m going to conduct a series of tests to determine if there is indeed an universally best way. What sort of sample size do you think I’d need for a statisitcally sound representation of scones, jams and creams?

ads678

ferrals – Member
    bencooper – Member

Only idiots do that care about this, it all goes down the same hole…..

FTFY.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

JAM FIRST!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVXVdPBxipk[/video]

Or bugger the jams and scones and get a slice a bread, cover in clotted cream and sprinkle with brown sugar or put some golden syrup on top of the cream, Thunder and Lighting tis ‘ansum yew!

Cheers, Steve

thegreatape
    Free Member

Spreading jam? Surely that would thin it out 😕

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m lactose intolerant, can’t have cream, but even i know that the cream goes on top. Otherwise, it’s more or less the same as a buttered scone, with jam on.

Basically a sandwich.

but putting the cream on top makes it a fancy cake, and that’s the whole point.

jam on top = sandwich.

cream on top = cake.

and cake wins.

you may disagree, but you’ll be disagreeing with my wife, which means you’re even more wronger.

sazter

This has reminded me of the stupid mayo advert on tv lately where the guy spreads mayo on the bacon instead of the bread?! That is stupid!

phiiiiil

If you’re even able to put cream on top of jam, you’re using rubbish cream and nowhere near enough jam and need to think hard about where your life is heading.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

If you’re even able to put cream on top of jam, you’re using rubbish cream and nowhere near enough jam and need to think hard about where your life is heading.

You just have bad technique. The art is in knowing how to dollop on the clotted cream without ruining your jam application*, a bit like when you have to spoon the mashed potato onto the meat and gravy when making a shepherd’s pie.

*Homemade blackcurrant jam FTW, or at least raspberry, definitely not strawberry.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Spoon cream on half of scone until cream to (half) scone thickness ratio is at greater than one to one. Spoon Jam on other half of scone to at least 3:4 ratio. Return halves of scone to their original orientation in regard to each other and apply gentle pressure until cream/jam protrude by minimum 2mm all around the scone. Serve with well brewed tea.

It makes no odds which you put on first, because you apply the jam to a (now exposed) interior surface of the scone and ditto the cream not one another. Attempting to spread anything which has the consistency of half dried copidex onto another substance of similar viscosity when you’ve a perfectly good semi absorbent and (reasonably) firm surface onto which to apply both is just foolhardiness. Crickey next you’ll be debating whether it’s best to restrict your flow or push hard when peeing into the wind rather than just turning around.

M6TTF
    Free Member

cream first, big dollops of it, then spoon a shitload of jam on top. no other way is even worth consideration

thetallman
    Free Member

Hmmm….

ahwiles
    Free Member

M6TTF – Member
    cream first, big dollops of it, then spoon a shitload of jam on top. no other way is even worth consideration

but that’s basically a jam sandwich.

cream on top makes it special.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I don’t really like cream teas. Always give me a headache.

toby1

it’s the first day we’re allowed to wear shorts in the office on dress down friday

😯

I’ve been in shorts constantly for about the last month!

And obviously Cream first then jam, or the other way round – as long as there is loads of both and they are heading for my mouth shortly after!

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

@dangeourbrain but you only get half as much cream that way!

Cheers, Steve

ads678

I Live in Leeds so don’t really care whether Devon or Cornwall is correct, or actually know which is which, but this is how I do it:

Split scone* in half, put some jam on each half, then put cream on each half, then bite into it so the cream goes up your nose!!

*Pronounced like cone but with an S at the front.

keefmac

I’m not really fussed on cream teas, can I have peanut butter on toast instead?

choppersquad
    Free Member

Obviously jam first then cream.
    Even more unbelievable is the fact that…and I can hardly bring myself to say it……some heathens use whipping cream!!!!
    If it’s not clotted cream, it’s not a cream tea!
    Until the age of 18, my cousin thought that a cream tea was a cup of tea with some cream in it.
    Bless.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Tomorrow's a more important day than you think.’ is closed to new replies.