• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tomato Ketchup As Energy Source??
  • astormatt
    Free Member

So today i was doing a road sportive and at the last feed station i saw a guy drinking tomato sauce straight out of the bottle*, a few people around me did notice and comment.
    I have tried googling it, but i haven’t found anything to suggest it is a good source of energy.
    So what do stw think??

* i assume it was tommy k as why would you use a ketchup bottle when there are so many less weird options to drink out of.

gwurk
    Free Member

So today i was doing a road sportive

I see where you are going wrong.

hols2
    Free Member

It has a lot of sugar and salt, but personally I prefer steak sauce if I’m drinking straight out of the bottle.

jobro
    Free Member

Yes it could well be the sugar but there must be better alternatives at a feed station.
    I wonder:
    a) Its something he strangely does normally.Sort of, miss out the whole chips, burger thing and go straight to mainlining the good stuff!
    b) As often happens after consuming nothing sickly sweet gels and liquids during a long ride he wanted something more. “piquant” ? I remember back in the day on Polaris events I used to take a small tub of stuffed olives for the same reason.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I see a rebranding opportunity.

NRGsauce

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When I’m racing in a sportive, I always have one bidon full of Bloody Mary.

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s a thing

(src – The Onion 😉 )

Actually, I’m a ketchup addict and could easily drink from the bottle, but it is crammed with a massive amount of sugar, salt and vinegar.

allthepies
    Free Member

It was EPO-laden blood.

FOG

Somebody gave me a sachet of ketchup when I cramped up badly on an event and it worked! I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along to explain why.

jobro
    Free Member

Somebody gave me a sachet of ketchup when I cramped up badly on an event and it worked! I am sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along to explain why.

No, they really wont

beej

Yes they will. Similar to pickle juice I guess.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/pickle-juice-a-cure-for-muscle-cramps/

Drac

The cramp went away you thought it was the ketchup.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Falling behind? Drink …

Drac

😆

shermer75
    Free Member

He can look forward to sharting his way up the climbs

dawson

I forget who it was but I seem to remember a Great Divide/ultra distance cyclist saying that they would grab sachets of mayonaise and squirt that down their necks as it was a quick way of getting calories in

martinhutch

Yes they will. Similar to pickle juice I guess.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/pickle-juice-a-cure-for-muscle-cramps/

Not a reliable sauce, I’m afraid.

IGMC etc

shermer75
    Free Member

I forget who it was but I seem to remember a Great Divide/ultra distance cyclist saying that they would grab sachets of mayonaise and squirt that down their necks as it was a quick way of getting calories in

A lot more calories in mayo tho as it’s about 75% oil (9kcal/g), tommy k is mostly vinegar, tomato (obvs) and sugar (which is actually v low in calories- 4kcal/g, or the same as protein)

Drac

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/heinz-mayo-packet-377616422

There you go someone has done the work for you.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tomato Ketchup As Energy Source??’ is closed to new replies.