Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tomac Supermatic – Deceased
  • semb
    Free Member

I bought a Tomac Supermatic 26 in 2011 after reading some great right ups in Mbr and on line, in March this year I found a crack in the carbon rear swing arm low down near the bottom bearing. Ok I thought it’s got a life time warranty not a problem but no, wrong they are no longer in business and the warranty is not worth anything, it turns out that John Tomac just sold the licence to use his name to another fella.

I have sent the cracked swing arm off to a very good carbon bike repairs, but they think that the damage to to close to the bearing to be able to make a safe fix, then I have a look around for a second hand swing arm and the only thing I find is somebody else with a broken swing arm too.

So what’s next ? Do I give up call it a bad mistake and hang it on the wall or kick up a ruckus, not sure….

wwaswas

kick up a ruckus

who with? The company that made it no longer exists. You could try the retailer or importer but the Sale of Goods act will probably say it’s too old?

Didn’t Planet-X buy the name? You could try saying brant three times but it’s a bit of a long shot.

I think you’ll just have to suck it up 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

they are no longer in business and the warranty is not worth anything

Is this what the retailer told you?

nemesis
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if you couldn’t fix it – the carbon company understandably probably don’t want to do it as it’ll look messy and be heavy.

Pics?

As to the warranty, I reckon you’d be outside any statutory SOGA type warranty period so a ‘lifetime’ warranty would have been something in addition and if that company is no longer in business then you won’t have much luck.

nemesis
    Free Member

Is this the one?

Where’s the crack?

Now I see it, if the crack is on the part directly above the XT logo on the cranks then I can see that there may not be clearance to make a proper repair.

iolo
    Free Member

Tomac were great bikes.
    Unfortunately I think every single one ever made either cracked or snapped.
    I think your only option is get it repaired.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I can’t believe you got 3 years out of a Tomac full sus before it snapped. They all broke didn’t they?

beanum

I had a Tomac Eli for years and it never snapped. It did make some nasty creaky noises that I could never fully trace though… I binned it last year and got a hardtail. 🙂

semb
    Free Member

It’s not looking good is it, thanks for the comments everybody the picture is the correct bike and yes the crack is above the XT, but on the crank side. I will keep trying but I think it’s a lost cause. Cheers

nemesis
    Free Member

In theory, it might be possible to make a wrap around the broken part and around the bearing housing but it does look like clearance with the rest of the frame could be an issue for that. Maybe worth a go though given that the alternative is binning it…

bigrich

maybe try and find NOS frame from somewhere? or appreciate the 3 years and move on, a secondhand frame should do the trick.

rewski
    Free Member

This ebay seller has replacement tomac parts, maybe he can one track down?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tomac-Automatic-Swing-Arm-Swingarm-Black-Genuine-Replacement-NEW-/121155691633

mattykhz
    Free Member

If it was purchased brand new you should be able to take it up with the retailer as it is them you purchased from not the manufacturer.

Contract of sale is with them and sale of goods act, reasonable quality etc come into play.

Failing that if a credit card was used you have section 75 of the consumer credit act to fall back on making your credit card company liable for item in same way as retailer.

jimmy-s3
    Free Member

How did you get on with this??

totalshell

not well i’d assume.. your credit card co will laugh till the cows come home and the retailer will say quite rightly.. 3 years not a bad lifetime for an extreme sports product

cynic-al
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    Tomac were great bikes.
    Unfortunately I think every single one ever made either cracked or snapped.

I.e. Tomac were shite bikes.

jonnouk
    Free Member

I.e. Tomac were shite bikes.

Hey now. My Omen has being going strong to this day since 2006.

bol

Give HQ Fibre Products in Norfolk a shout. If anyone can fix it, they can.

jimmy-s3
    Free Member

semb,

Any chance you could message me with some contact details? I could do with asking you a few questions.
    Cheers

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

I snapped a Tomac Omen 4x frame a few years back after 8 months. Landed a step down and both stays behind the bottom bracket broke clean through.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tomac Supermatic – Deceased’ is closed to new replies.