• This topic has 29 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mt.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tom Petty and the Cool Hall of Fame
  • SaxonRider

Of course he’s not the only one, but if there was a Cool Hall of Fame, I think Tom Petty would definitely be in it.

He’s just one of those guys that gets on with the music while exuding a sense of cool without being self-conscious about it.

There are a few other musicians I would add, and maybe even one or two other ‘dark horse’ candidates.

But who, from among the art and pop culture world, would you include, and why?

binners

Johnny ****in’ Marr (to use the Morrisey quote he so loves)

its as if when the Smiths split up, one of them was tasked with the mission of becoming the biggest bell end on the planet. And Johnny Marr did the opposite. Just did his own thing. Played with all kinds of people, doing all sorts of different stuff. His solo stuff is excellent. Effortlessly cool.

I saw him do this in the Deaf Institute in Manchester, playing to a couple of hundred people. Apparently it was the first time he’d ever played any Smiths stuff live since the band split up. It was emotional. One of the greatest guitarists who’s ever lived IMHO

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIHOZOZYIHs[/video]

SaxonRider

Good call, Binners. I flipping LOVE Marr’s guitar playing.

fasthaggis

Mr Waits

SaxonRider

Not so fast, haggis. You forgot to give your reason.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Charlie Watts – a lesson in how to be in a successful band for ever and maintain your dignity throughout.

fasthaggis

You forgot to give your reason.

If you try to define it or give details, it will fade and change.
    You just know when you see and feel it, often a very personal thing.

vinnyeh

Leonard Cohen.

SaxonRider

@vinnyeh: Since you didn’t give a reason, I’ll do it for you.

Leonard Cohen simply exudes all that is good and poetic in the human soul. If I could hold a candle to his sense of calm and peace, I would be a saint.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Neil Young comes across as ‘cool without being self concious’.
    From the world of film I’d say Steve McQueen.
    In both cases I’d say they just got on with it & were there own man.
    With McQueen he also rode for the U.S motorcycle team in the ISDT,here: https://federicodecalifornia.wordpress.com/2010/07/03/mcqueen-america-take-on-the-world-isdt-%E2%80%A2-east-germany-1964/
    Not only that but he financed the classic film’On Any Sunday’ & competed in Enduro’s as Harvey Mushman

BoardinBob

I know he’s a character but Lestor Freamon is my first ballot hall of fame pick

(closely followed by almost every other character from The Wire)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple:

John Mellancamp – Exudes coolness from every pore, sings from the heart about real life.

Ray LaMontagne – Exudes coolness from every pore, sings from the heart about real life.

binners

If we’re covering art, then I’m nominating David Hockney

This countries Picasso IMHO. Just constantly inventive, technically flawless, always moving on. Without doubt our greatest living artist. A million times more creative than the self-promoting charlatans that have followed him. Fiercely opinionated, cantankerous, awkward old northern bastard, not afraid to rail against anything he sees as unjust. Doesn’t give a monkeys what anyone else thinks. He wrote a letter published in the Guardian yesterday bemoaning the moving of museum archives from Bradford to London, because apparently everything has to be in London, doesn’t it?

And because he did this….

and this

and this

metalheart
    Free Member

Tom ****ing Petty, you’re joking right?

You mean cool, as in, like, you know, cool, right?

How’s about Iggy

Lou/John/Sterl/mo

Richard/Tom/Richard?

Hell, even Bobby!

failedengineer

Leonard Cohen & Nick Cave

RustySpanner

Helen Mirren, obvs.

TP.

Bessie Smith.

zippykona

SaxonRider

Sorry zippykona, but who is that?

metalheart
    Free Member

Daniel Craig….

cinnamon_girl

Van Morrison for being such a prolific and wonderful songwriter.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No. A million times no.

JoeG
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

Van Morrison for being such a prolific and wonderful songwriter.

😯

Wait – cinnamon_girl (self appointed defender of all that have a vagina) has named a MAN*??? 😡

WTF! Did International Wimmenz Day go to her head? ❓ Has someone hacked her account? 🙂 Has she had a stroke or a recent head injury to be thinking like this? 😮 I’m concerned for her well being. 😉

Well, since she’s not doing her job, I guess that I’ll have to add a cool chick. 😀

* eddiebaby – lets not fall for the obvious red herring and debate Van Morrison’s coolness or lack thereof. The fact that he apparently has a Y chromosome is all that is important. 😆

JoeG
    Free Member

This sums it up nicely.

anagallis_arvensis

Kris Kristofferson, Rhodes Scolar, Helicoptor pilot ( landed in johnny cashs garden to give him a demo tape), amazing song writer and shit but quite succesful actor.

zippykona

SaxonRider – Member
    Sorry zippykona, but who is that?

In the real world he is Steve McQueen.

Pigface
    Free Member

CG, Van Morrison cool ?????? The grumpiest most irascible man on the planet.

Not sure anyone listed above is cool, don’t think I could come up with a name of someone I think is cool, maybe Steve Caballero who does do a lot of fun stuff.

Yeah I will say Steve Caballero

cinnamon_girl

Wait – cinnamon_girl (self appointed defender of all that have a vagina) has named a MAN*???

WTF! Did International Wimmenz Day go to her head? Has someone hacked her account? Has she had a stroke or a recent head injury to be thinking like this? I’m concerned for her well being.

Joe – I don’t like seeing derogatory comments about wimminz on here cos, actually, I don’t believe that the majority of men think that way on here. There’s too few wimminz on here but those who are do make a positive contribution to the Forum, and not just suggesting bikes for the missus.

If blokes really wanted a male only Forum then there are other places they could hang out and be as offensive as possible by sleazy comments and posting sleazy pics. Not naming names but they know who they are.

The post I objected to, and assume that’s what you’re basing your opinion on, appeared to be a serious one due to the absence of a smiley or wink. I’m no screechy feminist but my own experiences of being patted on the head and humoured would indicate that there is still work to be done.

That’ll do for now. 🙂

gordimhor

Gil Scott Heron,For musical genius Michael Franti for daring to be such an idealist , Nina Simone, Wilson Pickett for love of music , Peter Tosh for being really radical too long in Marleys shadow ,

gordimhor

Edwin Collins And Alex Harvey

mt
    Free Member

Wilko Johnson, no explanation needed.

Mick Jones from Man was very cool and the best guitarist from Wales.

Frank Zappa obviously cool.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tom Petty and the Cool Hall of Fame’ is closed to new replies.