Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tokyo & Japan advice please
  • afrothunder88

Afternoon all,

I’m going to be spending 8 days in Japan in early September and would like some advice on Tokyo mainly. Anyone been there and know the best district to stay in as a tourist? Cheaper is better at the moment. Not hugely interested in nightlife, but a few bars would be nice.

Also looking for advice on places to go and things to see. Got the main stuff like observation platforms, the Palace and gardens on the list already.

Also, putting some serious thought into climbing (hiking) Mt. Fuji whilst I’m there. Given that its only 60m from Tokyo and at 3776 meters doesn’t seem ridiculously high it would appear to be rude not too. Anyone climbed a similar peak? I’m in pretty good shape physically, don’t really know at what height altitude sickness can become a serious problem but I’ve done a fair amount of hiking about at 3000m+ whilst skiing and although tiring it wasn’t too bad.

Cheers.

johnj2000
    Free Member

If you can afford 100 quid I would hire a guide. I had an afternoon with one and she took me for a 5k run round the imperial palace and then we visited shrines, fashion district, tea room, and had roadside sushi which was amazing.

It’s an amazing city and I wish. Could afford to go on holiday as mine was a work trip. I was advised that Fuji was a bit far to do in the time I had but you should be able to achieve it if you have 8 days.

Make sure you do a shrine and also check out the cosplay peeps that hang out in various places, very very odd.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Fuji is doable – its a walk rather than a climb and its a popular visit, start early in the morning for the best view from the top. Early September isn’t prime walking season for it (July-August are the easiest period) but it shouldn’t be as busy which is nice.

I’d recommend a visit to the Sengakuji shrine if you have the time near Shinagawa station, its in a residential area and is a fantastic place – its the burial place of the 47 ronin and when I visited wasn’t busy with anyone other than a few older japanese visitors although surprisingly the monk in attendance spoke english and they had a english pamphlet as well.

If you’re a geek in addition to the necessary visit to akihabara head over to Odaiba to the Diver City Mall – they have a full size gundam guarding the gate 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t get a taxi from Narita airport to the centre of Tokyo unless you have one million pounds.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Yes, pre book taxi if you can or better still figure out the public transport beforehand.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Big busy, busy, busy city.
    I couldn’t wait to get out of it and explore!

If you like temples & shrines Nikko & Kamakura are ace (daibutsu is BIG!) quite touristy (Japanese tourists) but not tacky.

Sod the guide, plan what you want to do and you’ll find people who will help you when you are lost 🙂 Loads of people speak English, but aren’t necessarily forthcoming.

Sumo is good fun if you are there at just the right time – turn up early for cheap seats, reserve by putting something on it and it’ll be waiting for you when you return for the big bouts.

Trying to find addresses e.g. for a recommended restaurant can be a nightmare, so allow plenty of time.

Getting to Fuji area wouldn’t take long by shinjuku, climbing it wouldn’t be high on my list, but (if you get a clear day – often cloud-shrouded) the views would be great.

Looks like it’s got some gnaarr rock gardens 🙂
    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/J-MtFuji.htm

roady_tony
    Free Member

re: Sengakuji shrine +1 from me too.
    palace is nice
    get a guide its worth the money and it can give you some places to return to for food etc.
    although food is just about great from anywhere
    also just dont be scared and get out on your own, its an amazingly safe place and you uncover all sorts
    …although be afraid of the guy selling train tickets as they take no nonsense….
    if you can, get a bullet train – the ride is awesome as is the countryside. direct to kyoto … is a nice city in the old sections.
    there is also – and i cannot quite remember – a world heritage site just outside of tokyo,think i got a train to it, it has those huge RED torii gates and some hikes too…

have fun – well jealous

tails
    Free Member

Have a look on couchsurfing.com and on facebook for groups, you can often find people to show you around. Stay at hostels not hotels I’ve met all sorts at hostels, people who have walked the length of Africa, michelin star chefs, oil riggers, students, firemen, Rastafarians, all good fun.

cheers_drive

From Narita get the Taxi bus or the Narita Express train, both are easy to figure out. The Metro is easy to figure out too.
    Can’t remember where I went for my free weekend there during one work trip but if I was going for 8 days I would definitely go to Mt Fuji.

TheFlyingOx

Great city.
    You’ll find that most people aged 30 and under are good English speakers and they’re super-willing to help out, so if you get stuck just ask someone. Older folk tend to shy away from foreigners though, so don’t assume they’re being rude. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Try to take in an onsen while you’re there. Granted, the centre of Tokyo is going to be less spectacular than the clifftop/mountaintop/forest ones, but they’re a nice experience either way. Be prepared to be stared at/avoided if you have any tattoos though – it’s seen as a sign of gang membership/Yakuza.
    Have some dinner at a posh restaurant – they’re not all that expensive. We ate at the New York Grill in the Tokyo Park Hyatt, got a window table on the 53rd floor, absolutely phenomenal views. Had a 5-course a la carte meal, which included Kobe beef, with beer and whisky, and the bill was less than £100 for me and the wife. Granted, this was when it was 185 Yen to the £ but you may strike lucky.

Akihabara Electric Town is mental for electronic stuff and quite a few of the cosplay folks. Shinjuku is mental for sheer volume of traffic and people and electric signage. Have a go on the Tokyo Harbour train loop thing if it’s raining and you’re at a loose end. Catch a Sumo match if you can. See if there’s any ‘Dorifto’ on (crazy car drifting) if that’s your bag.

Oh, and look out for Yakiniku restaurants. Ask if you can’t find one.
    It’s an all-you-can-eat-and-drink type affair, but it’s a barbecue. Awesome fun, especially if Sho-Chu and Chu-Hi alcohol is included.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Been to Japan a few times, and have climbed Mt Fuji.

Travel from Narita into town is pretty easy, just use the orange bus (cheap and goes to lots of hotels), or the Narita Express – see Orange Bus

Get someone local to book the bus from Tokyo (Shinjuku in my case) to the start of the walk – there are several start points. Make sure to go back to correct start point (someone I know went to the wrong one, it’s a big mountain). The up and down routes are different paths (if that makes sense).

I took a morning bus, climbed to the top during the day, back down 1500m or so, stayed in a hut, got up at 3am to walk back up to see the sunrise. Unforgettable experience, and not an especially tough walk. Take gloves (sharp rocks), walking pole(s) and sunblock. I ended up stupidly sunburnt. In July it was 30 degrees at the base, and 0 degrees at the top.

Couple of photos to show the atmosphere.

[/url] IMGP0815 by paulcheshirecat, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url] IMGP0763 by paulcheshirecat, on Flickr[/img]

TheFlyingOx

oldnpastit

I did the trip to Mt Fuji many years ago. Well worth doing.

Everything else about Tokyo you will have forgotten fifteen years later, but reaching the top of that mountain and then getting back just after the last coach to Tokyo has left will stay with you forever….

jonba
    Free Member

We found the lonely planet guide to be worth its weight in gold. Some really nice places to stay at affordable prices, same for food (although that wasn’t that expensive). We stayed in Ikibukoro everywhere is fairly easy to access using the trains.

There is so much to do and see that having a plan is worth while.

Tips are that there is soooo much more to Japanese food than Sushi, try to eat in as many varied places as possible.

Second one is that for the price of the towers you go up to view the city you can buy a drink in a bar on the top floor of a hotel, just sit near the window.

Third is smile and bow.

d3fm3ch
    Free Member

It’s defo worth getting out the city, as amazing as it is. I highly recommend Hakone. The open air museum was amazing. Also the cable cars with view of Mt Fuji. And let’s not forget the pirate ship over Lake Ashinoko!

afrothunder88

Some excellent advice there to mull over, cheers guys!

Everything else about Tokyo you will have forgotten fifteen years later, but reaching the top of that mountain and then getting back just after the last coach to Tokyo has left will stay with you forever….

Ha, I can see why you wouldn’t forget that one!

cheshirecat : those photos are amazing, I’m really hoping it’ll be a clear day if I do decide to do Mt. Fuji. I’d probably stay in one of the huts for the night and aim to be at the top for sunrise.

I’m actually flying in and out of Haneda but I’ve already read that taxis are very expensive!

The Flying Ox I’m hoping to stay at a Ryokan for a night to experience the onsen’s, depending on whether or not I can afford it, I’ve heard they can be pretty expensive. The Yakiniku restaurants sound great though. Thats definitely going on the list. Its also good to know that the local people are friendly.

My Synthpop: the Sengakuji shrine has definetely being added to the list. Also, I remember reading about that giant Gundam statue when it was unveiled, can’t wait to go and see the actually thing!

Cheers again all.

stewartc
    Free Member

Recommend the bus service from the airport (Airport Limousine), they stop at most of the major hotels and if yours is not on the list one of the major hotels should be nearby.
    I think most of the major attractions have been covered above and I would 2nd Hakone if you get a chance, watch out though as the Japanese do their Spa as nature intended plus there are some rituals you need to carry out before jumping in.
    If you can, get to Yoyogi Park over the weekend, it is full of the eccentric aspects of Tokyo, from Asian Rockabillys to teens dressed as some strange Victorian Manga hybrids.
    Most Japanese are very friendly and most love the opportunity to practice their English, you will enjoy your trip no matter what you end up doing.

akira

Tour of the harbour is quite nice, you get some food and see some nice sights.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tokyo & Japan advice please’ is closed to new replies.