Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • "Token Attractive Woman"
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

Have we done this one yet? Cycling Weekly caption a female rider as “Token Attractive Woman” 😯

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41122033

simondbarnes

Jesus Christ

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh FFS!

Rachel

aP
    Free Member

I used to buy the comic every week, I haven’t bought it for years – this partly explains why.

jimdubleyou

That is some top-level editing there.

pfft.

DezB
    Free Member

Ha! Slipped that one past the editor. Embarrassing I’d say. But it’s probably an utter OUTRAGE in these internet times.

ton

singletrack mag could be spoiled for choice, if they used a reader as ‘token ugly bloke’.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s the other caption?

‘Jaffa loves his smashing orangey bit?”

Someone forgot to take off the prompts for the photo editor…

binners

We once sent a mag to print with the picture caption ‘get one of those lazy bastard sub-editors to write a caption for this’ 😳

brakes
    Free Member

they issued a statement last night apologising and blaming (but not naming) one particularly member of junior staff – inexcusable.
    the club I’m in have called them out before a number of times for unequal columns inches for reporting local cycling results for women and men i.e. Top ten for men and Top 3 for women.

edd

Time Inc. has recently made redundancies at their cycling magazines. I imagine that this is a parting gift from a disgruntled (former) employee. (Obviously, for the avoidance of doubt, this doesn’t make it acceptable.)

newrobdob
    Free Member

Jesus Christ

I didn’t see him in the article. 😕

daern
    Free Member

Ha! Slipped that one past the editor. Embarrassing I’d say. But it’s probably an utter OUTRAGE in these internet times.

The fact that this was acceptable for a (presumably) junior member of staff to put in in the first place speaks volumes about the culture that exists within their organisation and, apology or not, that unspoken culture is far more of a serious problem than a single error on a single picture.

Yes, the internet will get outraged immediately, but these things point to a much deeper malaise within the sport that is not going to be fixed with an apology… 🙁

finbar
    Free Member

Nothing else on earth succeeds at making cycling appear dull so well as Cycling Weekly. I literally cannot understand why anyone would buy it.

Yes, the internet will get outraged immediately, but these things point to a much deeper malaise within the sport that is not going to be fixed with an apology…

Try reading ProCycling for some heartening coverage of women’s racing. Sure, not as prominent as the men’s, but some interesting interviews and race coverage. Good balanced analysis of La Course in the most recent issue.

legend
    Free Member

ffs! I thought this was going to be a Kylie-esque thread. 2/10

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

the club I’m in have called them out before a number of times for unequal columns inches for reporting local cycling results for women and men i.e. Top ten for men and Top 3 for women.

I bet that’s proportionate to the size of the start list though.

Week night races in the Central region get >120 men across 2 races and are lucky to get 12 women.

DezB
    Free Member

are lucky to get 12 women.

1 between 10!

councilof10
    Free Member

Storm in a teacup. I’ve read CW for almost 30 years and it’s quite obvious that the regular features are designed to a formula. I always have a flick through that feature looking for the “token attractive woman” as it’s so obvious that they try to tick that box.

It often crops up in conversation on group rides if the Token Attractive Woman wasn’t up to scratch this week, and we’ve joked about which member of our club would be that person if we were ever included!

So I find it quite funny that this has slipped through the net. Having worked in magazine design, I know how easy it is for things like this to happen.

Very embarrassing, but very understandable. To err is human…

nealglover
    Free Member

Very embarrassing, but very understandable. To err is human…

The mistake of leaving it in the finished mag is totally understandable.

The fact that it’s obviously acceptable in their office, to write it there in the first place, isn’t understandable at all.

continuity
    Free Member

What happens if I found it mildly humorous?

Do I have to go and bleach my mouth out with soap?

I’ve been on group rides where one of the girls joked that she is the token attractive woman in the peloton. Does that make her a traitor to the cause? Should we all have fallen over our zipps to defend her other qualities?

allthepies
    Free Member

Well I lol’d.

brakes
    Free Member

I bet that’s proportionate to the size of the start list though.

perhaps if there was less unequal coverage of women’s cycling the start list might be bigger.

munrobiker
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware when the cycling guys at time are assembling an article the captions just say “Type Caption Here gfgfdgsdgfdsgsd” until they come up with a caption, so the disgruntled redundant person theory sounds most likely.

Bit off regardless.

daern
    Free Member

The mistake of leaving it in the finished mag is totally understandable.

The fact that it’s obviously acceptable in their office, to write it there in the first place, isn’t understandable at all.
    This. Unquestionably.

councilof10
    Free Member

I’m not sure if you’re aware, but the “Real World” isn’t at all like the sit-down-pissing-lib-fest that is STW.

People make “jokes” and have “fun”… It’s really quite a lovely place!

aracer
    Free Member

Perhaps. Or maybe there are other reasons.

How are you coming to the conclusion that it’s seen as acceptable to write it?

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m not sure if you’re aware, but the “Real World” isn’t at all like the sit-down-pissing-lib-fest that is STW.

If I was a junior member of staff I wouldn’t be doing things like that unless it was a prevailing theme in the office.

You might be different, but I doubt it.
    You just want to sound like you are.

nealglover
    Free Member

How are you coming to the conclusion that it’s seen as acceptable to write it?

Because it was apparently written by a junior member of staff, to be seen by other (less junior) members of staff further down the line.
    It was left in place by mistake.
    Clearly that mistake is not normally made. And it gets replaced by a caption that’s suitable for people outside the office.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

but the “Real World” isn’t at all like the sit-down-pissing-lib-fest that is STW

😆

mos

Does anybody know who the chick in question actually is? She looks pretty fit.
    :mrgreen:

martinhutch

Editor calls sub an idiot, which he (presumably) is.

Editor for some reason stops short of calling himself an idiot for not scanning the proofs properly. It wasn’t exactly tucked away in the margin…

It’s the editing equivalent of a SMIDSY.

Then again, I remember the happy day when our team pressed publish on a court report of the early stages of the Harold Shipman trial, the part where he was still innocent and you ought not suggest otherwise. The headline was ‘Dr Death appears in court’. 😳

Gary_M
    Free Member

Hardly worth getting all pissy knickered about, storm in a dcup.

ransos
    Free Member

If you don’t like it here…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have to say what a very very stupid comment to make, clearly the editor doesn’t proof read.

MSP

Looks like the junior member of staff was just trying to highlight the casual sexism in the formulaic standard articles CW publishes, it’s just satire in the Alf Garnet tradition.

aracer
    Free Member

So you assume.

It was left in place by mistake.

Probably, but that mistake wasn’t necessarily made by who you’re assuming.

The other assumption you’r making regarding the culture is that if it had been picked up by the editors that the junior member of staff wouldn’t have got a bollocking – maybe like a lot of people he hadn’t realised it was unacceptable “banter”.

thepurist

Maybe the junior staff member put it in knowingly to highlight their experience of the mags editorial style?

neilthewheel

^that. It’s someone sending up the editorial stance.

rene59
    Free Member

I thought it was funny.

jamiep
    Free Member

Saturday just gone, we had a CW writer and a photographer join our Club rides to do one of these pieces on our Club. We look forward to seeing the write-up

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘"Token Attractive Woman"’ is closed to new replies.