• This topic has 370 replies, 130 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 11 posts - 361 through 371 (of 371 total)
  • Toe curling 650b marketing guff.
  • aracer
    Free Member

Additionally, the increase in rotational weight challenges many lower watt producing riders, so the performance gains are negated when the rider cannot accelerate the wheel system as quickly.

BS

Difference in size 26 to 29 is ~10%. Given a rim/tyre/sealant weight of 1kg per wheel (light, but a bit heavier than what I have for 26) then that’s 200g extra in total. For a system weight for light rider of 70kg (60kg rider, 10kg bike) and given weight at the edge of the wheel counts double for acceleration, that will make a 0.6% difference to acceleration.

Anybody who reckons they can detect a 0.6% difference in acceleration needs to get themselves tested for exceptional ability, as you’re way off the scale. Given you spend lots of your time rolling (where there’s far more than 0.6% advantage to 29 over 26) than accelerating, it’s clear where the advantage lies.

All the above holds true for a comparison between 27.5 and 29, except the differences are a bit smaller.

The solution for many riders is 27,5”. The new wheelsize standard combines the best of both worlds, is somewhere between 29” and 26” in terms of advantages and disadvantages, but near enough 26″ that it’s hard to tell the difference

So it’s your fault Scott and Giant you short arsed, low watters! are just a good excuse for the marketing men

molgrips
    Free Member

So.. wait.. 650b is 25mm larger diameter than 26″ yes? So 12.5mm larger radius.

Does that mean that on my bikes with plenty of mud clearance I could rebuild the wheels with 650b rims and choose tyres carefully and still be ok?

I only ask because I can forsee 26″ tyres becoming harder to find, especially in XC varieties.

kimbers

depends my 650b rims with 2.4 Hirollers on are over 28 inches

molgrips
    Free Member

I said careful tyre choice…

maxlite
    Free Member

Love it ‘cart wheeled bikes’

JCL
    Free Member
    kimbers

that graph is quality

asterix
    Free Member

hey JCL – I was beginning to worry something had happened to you, what with this thread going dead for a few days 😆

JCL
    Free Member

I was busy pushing 29″ propaganda on other forums.

asterix
    Free Member

Oh good that’s all right then:-) I had images of you trapped out on a trail somewhere deep in the forest having been squashed by letting one of those big-wheeled heavy 29er bikes fall on you 😆

hora
    Free Member

Poor 2013 champ Steve Smith wont get much for his winning run bike hey?

Viewing 11 posts - 361 through 371 (of 371 total)

The topic ‘Toe curling 650b marketing guff.’ is closed to new replies.