Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • today's thoughts to bedazzle the massed intellect that is the STW forum are…
  • ro
    Free Member

…. why – apart from having an Audi drivers perspective (i.e.child-like) on what technology is good for – would anyone use a carbon framed MTB when the one thing carbon is totally useless for is dealing with high impact point-loadings, like when the front of your BB bounces off a rock or your down tube is caressed by sharp stones thrown up by your front wheel? twits.

btw, i'm now using discs. they're very modulated but a complete pain in the arse to set up and maintain. another case of piss-poor technological 'progress' encouraged by people and magazines who should have known better.

on the good side, i'm LOVING sram. best components e-v-e-r. and after years of spd's I'm enjoying the fun of flat pedals again. why did i ever change?

is the barefoot / minimalist running movement the equivalent of the ss movement in cycling? i think it is. silly poseurs. although having said that I do like running in nike frees 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

>i'm now using discs. …….. but a complete pain in the arse to set up and maintain.

Does not compute.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Ro,

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT, WHATEVER YOU JUST TYPED (I couldn't be bothered to read it) IS TRUE.

HTH

ro
    Free Member

that's it terry! YOU'RE GETTING THE MESSAGE, BUT NO NEED TO SHOUT 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

btw, i'm now using discs. they're very modulated but a complete pain in the arse to set up and maintain

You mean you are a piss poor mechanic? Very straightforward things hydro discs

belgianbob

Barefoot running = SSing, yes.
    Carbon frames: because they're there, and they're lighter and because they look nice. Besides, why should roadies have all the toys?

ro
    Free Member

Besides, why should roadies have all the toys?

because roadies do not subject their bikes to impact in the normal course of events.

ro
    Free Member

Very straightforward things hydro discs

strange this, but i bike for exercise, not to improve my skills with an allen key or a brake-bleed kit. weird, huh?

poppa
    Free Member

ro, I know exactly what you mean! I was also wondering:

1. Which is better, a hardtail or full-sus?
    2. Why are roadies so grumpy?
    3. What tyres for Glentress?
    4. Does bike weight really matter?

nickc

when the one thing carbon is totally useless for is dealing with high impact point-loadings,

Just because you don't understand how carbon works, thankfully doesn't mean that the people making CF frames don't either. Stick to stuff you know about…

Hydro disc, mine have been maintenance free for 5 years, you must be doing something wrong (or you've bought Avids, in which case you deserve everything you get TBH)

Barefoot running = SS… don't think so, SS at least has a point

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I point blank refuse to tinker with cable brakes now. Life is just too short.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ro, I thought you'd left us forever ?

but a complete pain in the arse to set up and maintain

For me it was: bolt to frame mounts and squeeze lever till they work, then forget till squealing indicates pad replacement. Repeat.

luked2
    Free Member

Shimano hydraulic brakes are pretty easy to sort out – mine need bleeding right now but I think the hardest part of that will be finding the bit of tubing you need. Somewhere in the garage.

Avid BB7s are just as good and easy to setup (but you do need to stop occasionally while riding along).

Decent rim brakes are fine on roads, but it's a nuisance to have to keep replacing rims. And they just don't stop as well in the wet. If you don't ever go very fast, then that's not really a problem.

It's all about choices.

ro
    Free Member

i never said 'forever', simon. i like to return here now and then in the vain hope it'll be like it was four years ago. it was fun then. what happened to all the smart people? moved on to paragliding?

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Or ….I carn't help but wonder how much of the world economy is based on the design/manufacture/supply/sale/support of goods and services that when push comes to shove no one really needs.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but i bike for exercise, not to improve my skills with an allen key or a brake-bleed kit. weird, huh?

strange that, I ride for fun. In order to keep having the fun occasionally I fix something.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You mean you are a piss poor mechanic? Very straightforward things hydro discs

Indeed. 🙂

For me it was: bolt to frame mounts and squeeze lever till they work, then forget till squealing indicates pad replacement. Repeat

LOL! SO true! 😀

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

You use Sram, ergo you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about I'm afraid. And you clearly bought the wrong brakes if you're having to set them up.

molgrips
    Free Member

btw, i'm now using discs. they're very modulated but a complete pain in the arse to set up and maintain

Haven't had to adjust mine in years and years. You are doing it wrong.

As for carbon – it's light, rides well and does not in real life fail randomly all over the place any more than any other material.

I don't even know what magazines say about carbon or discs, sorry.

pedalhead
    Free Member

You use Sram, ergo you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about I'm afraid

another scoop added to the BS pile of this thread

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Hey Ro,

Just a suggestion.
    Instead of antagonising and insulting folk maybe you could post up some interesting pictures of where you are.

Try and do something positive with all this time you have to spare…?

crikey
    Free Member
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Ro, if you are now using discs, despite having slated them for the last 18months or so, can you explain what credibility you actually have left?
    Or is this just an elaborate ruse to get us all shouting HYPOCRITE?

ro
    Free Member

luked2, i have NEVER had to replace a rim in my entire life.

i think it's due to the fact i don't consider riding through gloopy gritty mud and then expecting my bike to work just fine to be indicative of a large brain.

but i could be wrong…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and then expecting my bike to work just fine to be indicative of a large brain.

or a timid disposition ? Please try harder.

ro
    Free Member

Instead of antagonising and insulting folk maybe you could post up some interesting pictures of where you are.

i'm not a fan of complex technology, so tell me how to do it in simple language and i'll gladly oblige 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

i think it's due to the fact i don't consider riding through gloopy gritty mud and then expecting my bike to work just fine to be indicative of a large brain.

Honestly mate – wtf?

You make this much –><– sense, you really do!

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

Not an IT wizard myself but..

"Ro continues to work on behalf of a range of clients in Europe and Southeast Asia on web-based communications and social media marketing using netbook & smartphone platforms."

…you may know how to a little better than me?

I may be wrong though.

However I would be interested to see them if you do.
    Maybe a ride you've been on with some historical links?

ro
    Free Member

However I would be interested to see them if you do.
    Maybe a ride you've been on with some historical links?

i know (assume) you know what you're trying to say, but i don't.

in english please?

ntreid
    Free Member

Trade Description Act – there's nothing here to bedazzle any kind of intellect. Please change the title to something more suitable, like "blahblahblah wind up blah. Carbon? Gay."

thomthumb
    Free Member

.. why would anyone use a carbon framed MTB when the one thing carbon is totally useless for is dealing with high impact point-loadings, like when the front of your BB bounces off a rock or your down tube is caressed by sharp stones thrown up by your front wheel?

to answer the op – this is not everyones mtb experience. do not assume what you do with a bike is what i do with a bike.

imagine it like this. Button and Loeb are both car drivers but do not compete – if loeb turned up to Monaco in the xsara he couldn't expect to win.

ro
    Free Member

if loeb turned up to Monaco in the xsara he couldn't expect to win

y'think? i bet he wouldn't come last.

Pook

Ro, there's no apostrophe in MTBs.

Just so you know, Ro.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

If you are in Vietnam?
    A country with a war that lasted 30 years from the end of ww2 to the mid 1970's there is a lot of history there.

Have you any interesting tales to tell form sight you may have seen?

I was trying to encourage a little positive input from you.

If you can't manage it don't worry.I always look for the best in people-you just seem to have trouble finding it.I'll go back to watching the childish teasing and wind ups you seem so fond of.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Before the internet, would you have moaned about these things to anyone in particular? Or just kept it in your head?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It's funny, most trolls get you biting and arguing/posting.

I find it pretty easy to ignore ro, am curious as to why he has not been banned.

ro
    Free Member

mkchris:

viet nam is pretty cool. the people and the history are what have kept me here for the past three years, 'cos the food is crap and the heat and humidity horrendous.

anything in particular about the place you'd like to know?

phil.w
    Free Member

oh look, a monkey doing a handstand…

LINK

…on a goat thats on a flowerpot on a tightrope.

EDIT: After reading the first post I assumed this was a thread for random crap. Sorry if I was wrong.

ro
    Free Member

curious as to why he has not been banned

'cos, despite all the dicking around, chipps has a sneaking suspicion i may have something interesting to bring to the party…

… and he may be right. you just have to be patient 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You make this much –><– sense, you really do!

Are you sure?
    I can see a gap betwen those 2 arrows….. 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘today's thoughts to bedazzle the massed intellect that is the STW forum are…’ is closed to new replies.