Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Today's ride ruined …
  • cinnamon_girl

Ended up terribly upset and feeling helpless. 🙁

Roe deer trying to clear fence, couldn’t make it, started crashing into it. Saw me then went into a panic, terribly nervous and highly strung creatures.

Pedalled furiously past to avoid distressing her any further. 🙁

stevied
    Free Member

It’s not your fault, you didn’t put the fence up (did you?)

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Oh deer

njee20
    Free Member

Ruined? Really?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

It’ll be fine, they are flight animals and it was responding normally. There also not the brightest, so it will have forgotten all about the incident now. Not your fault.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Frankly, I’m staggered. This sort of thing could buck the trend of enjoyable rides. However, you should try and put it behind you, don’t take it to hart.

Etc.

As above, nothing to worry about, it’ll be bounding off the other way without a care in the world. (Tasty, too! 😉 )

roverpig

I know, it’s annoying when that happens and you don’t have your gun.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d steer clear of that Deer if I were you in the future. 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Pedalled furiously past to avoid distressing her any further.

Mowing down several innocent worms in the process….

z1ppy

Had this on a night ride, but with a muntjac [sneaky edit for RD]. Between two fences on a bridal way, he crashed into the sheep fence got his head stuck in a ‘hole’ due to his wickedly sharp if short horns, I cut him out three times… which was scary with him thrashing about and those horns far too close. No way of holding him, we’d moved past and would set him free, only to charge straight back into the fence again, very frustrating… he did eventually run off & as the track was part of loop he wasn’t there 30 minutes later, thankfully.
    I see deer reasonably regularly down our way, the best during another night ride, coming across two sets of eye at head height watching us on a DH decent (which was down right weird @ the time), they watched us go past – I glimpsed what they were

cinnamon_girl

😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Muntjac on the side of M40 north of Oxford yesterday. Seemed happy enough but hope it didnt try to play a game of dare.

Jamie
    Free Member

glasgowdan
    Free Member

One example of why we’re higher in the food chain than those dumb animals…

Bregante

At least it was runningaway from you..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_lVZjzXG0U&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

rOcKeTdOg

montjac

Muntjac

Pesky things ate the veg from my garden!

thepurist

Saw me then went into a panic, terribly nervous and highly strung creatures.

Amazed it managed a character assessment of you so quickly 😀

matt_outandabout

Could you not have caught it and popped it in the pot?
    om nom.

tomtomthepipersson

Wait until you get chased by a big male 😯 – 150kg, pointy, snarly and coming out of the darkness at you. Shits you up and gets the adrenaline flowing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cinamon_girl really glad you where out given your postings on the Hampshire rides thread.

MoreCashThanDash

Wait until you get chased by a big male – 150kg, pointy, snarly and coming out of the darkness at you.

Where do I sign up, big boy? 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

meanwhile over on roedeertrackworld…..

nope, nothing.

in other news i once watched a muntjac jump between two strings of barbed wire, about 8″ gap. rattled the lower one everso slightly, i very nearly had to stop and applaud it.

nick1962
    Free Member
    MrNice
    Free Member

Roe deer trying to clear fence, couldn’t make it, started crashing into it. Saw me then went into a panic, terribly nervous and highly strung creatures.

well it would be if it couldn’t clear the fence

legend
    Free Member

Deer fences in stopping deer shocker?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Jamie’s Gif above is brilliant…

cinnamon_girl

Ooooooooh you ‘orrible lot. 🙁

Would be terrified at the sight of a 150kg male, fallow was it? If you chaps insist on night-riding then you gotta be brave. 🙂

jambalaya – thanks, will update that thread. 🙂

badllama
    Free Member

Had to destroy a deer once that had broke it’s leg trying to jump and got caught between two fences. It’s sad to do but they are so panicy it’s best to be quick once the decision has been made.

You ever have to deal with one cover it’s head with something to calm it a bit and who ever is holding it hold on tight! If it’s got a broken leg it’s **** though.
    Best smash it’s brains in with something very heavy as the alternative gets a bit messy.

Tasted good though 😀

kudos100
    Free Member

Disappointed at lack of deer whispering skills.

oldboy
    Free Member

Had to destroy a deer once that had broke it’s leg trying to jump and got caught between two fences. It’s sad to do but they are so panicy it’s best to be quick once the decision has been made.

You ever have to deal with one cover it’s head with something to calm it a bit and who ever is holding it hold on tight! If it’s got a broken leg it’s **** though.
    Best smash it’s brains in with something very heavy as the alternative gets a bit messy.

Anyone remember the case of an off-duty policeman who ran over a rabbit? The rabbit was writhing around in the road, so the guy reversed back over it’s head to put it out of its misery, apparently. Anyway, someone reported him to the RSPCA, who subsequently successfully prosecuted him for cruelty to an animal.

badllama
    Free Member

It’s ok oldboy no cruelty involved I blew it’s brains out with a 12 bore shotgun which was pretty instant TBH.

Best leave them to suffer in future then 🙄

Dickyboy

a friend found a freshly deceased deer in the road one Sunday evening, took it home & hung it up outside ready to take to the butchers in the morning, his neighbour told him that he needed to let the blood but after several attempts with blunt knives they eventually gave up & resorted to a chainsaw instead 😯

Freester

A few years back we saw a deer (no idea what make or model) tangled up with a single strand of barbed wire run along the top of a 1m or so high fence.

We thought about cutting the wire but looking more closely the wire had completely wrapped around the deer’s leg and the leg was completely broken and the wire pretty much down to the bone.

My mate knew the local guy with the hunting rights for most of the land we were riding on so called him. He came down and quickly despatched the animal with a Crocodile Dundee style ‘That’s not a knife’ knife. We ate venison pie the following weekend.

njee20
    Free Member

Ooooooooh you ‘orrible lot.

It’s nature! Do you openly weep at roadkill?

teasel
    Free Member

Deer fences in stopping deer shocker

Exactly. They can do a fair bit of damage – last summer I watched one yank over a small apple tree. If I had the appropriate rifle my dining table (if I had one) would have been adorned with venison…

teasel
    Free Member

Almost forgot…

“ruined”

🙂

cinnamon_girl

It’s nature! Do you openly weep at roadkill?

No but deer are beautiful creatures and I do have an interest in them anyway.

Is disappointed that my thread from a couple of years ago concerning a dead badger isn’t remembered. Must be the quality of the readership these days. 😉

I wanted to take the dead badger to a taxidermist as I’m keen to ‘bring the outdoors in’ as it were and start a collection. Currently only have a fallow deer antler in the lounge and that has spooked one or two folk! 😆

njee20
    Free Member

No but deer are beautiful creatures and I do have an interest in them anyway.

Is disappointed that my thread from a couple of years ago concerning a dead badger isn’t remembered. Must be the quality of the readership these days.

I remember your thread about a dog eating a leveret.

cinnamon_girl

Oh yes, murder on the trail. 😆

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Today's ride ruined …’ is closed to new replies.