Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Today's photography thread
  • molgrips
    Free Member

That’s what I meant – delete, prune, store, archive, whatever.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I don’t. After say a trip up north where I might shoot a couple of hundred pics I edit them down to the 15 or so best, save those and delete the rest

Yeah, that’s what I do when I come to put photo books together. I typically do 3-4 a year which is 3-400 photos at most.

I do the books at the end of the year by which point any attachment to what I thought was ‘a good photo’ has gone and I can see the ones that tell the story, which are the ones I want in a photo book.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So as I delete all the rubbish shots soon after taking them I am only accumulating them at a few hundred a year. All go on my Flikr account so thats basically my backup

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

I do the books at the end of the year by which point any attachment to what I thought was ‘a good photo’ has gone and I can see the ones that tell the story, which are the ones I want in a photo book

That’s a really good idea.

footflaps

I find my opinion on my photos mellows over time so I tend to keep them all as I’ve very self critical immediately after taking them. I order them all by folders based on the event / date and use Picassa to Star the ones I think are good, that seems to work fine for 100s of GBs. All the starred one end up on Flickr which is my ‘cloud’ backup and I have a USB drive in a firesafe as a real world backup.

molgrips
    Free Member

So how much storage do you get on flickr? And how do you store images bigger than 1024 – I’m sure I saw someone’s that were bigger.

_tom_
    Free Member

I think you may need the “pro” membership for uploading larger images. And you get a 300mb monthly limit on Flickr.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I noticed in the Ts&Cs of Picasa the other day that images of 800 pixels or less on a side do not contribute to your free space. Although that size sounds small it’s enough for photo books if you have 4-5 photos per page, so makes a very handy free ‘backup’.

GrahamS

800 pixels or less on a side do not contribute to your free space. Although that size sounds small it’s enough for photo books

Really?? 800px printed at 300dpi is only two and a bit inches.

How big is your book?

5thElefant
    Free Member

5 images on a page of A4 would be about 3 inches a photo. You can print at 150dpi of course. Most people wouldn’t notice the difference.

If your house burns down, gets flooded etc I’d imagine those small photos would be pretty acceptable. So if, you don’t want to pay for online backup it’s not an unreasonable compromise.

GrahamS

Ah right, I was imagining a full photo per page style of book.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just started going through photos now. Scrolling through the organiser page and rating the ones that are interesting with a click. Working rather well so far actually, pretty chuffed. I was worried this was going to be a huge task.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Today's photography thread’ is closed to new replies.