• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Today's photography question
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

looking for a little present (up to £25) for a friend who has recently bought expensive camera but has little else. Was thinking maybe a Monopod? Any views? The alternative is the 3 pack of Scott Kelby books, which I like.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a monopod and at first I didn’t like it. But then I got a ball head (essential for a monopod) and read up on how to use it, and now it’s good for helping to cut down shake when using long zooms. I suppose it’d also be good for landscapes and the like, not really tried it. It’s quite a subtle tool. I’ve found I can brace it against things with my body to get pretty stable positions, and it can be much more convenient than a tripod I reckon.

Other than that, a polarising filter perhaps? Although that could be more $.

But if they are a newbie, the books will help far more than anything else!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Books sound a good bet. Everything else is quite specific to their kit and personal preferences so would be a bit hit or miss.

GrahamS

The Photographer’s Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos £15

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

How about some cleaning bits? Rocket blower, etc. Useful and within budget

meehaja
    Free Member

You could get a cheap but functional tripod, a comfy wide strap, a decent memory card (fast not just big), Cokin filter starter set is about that much (though not always useful?), good books are always useful, magazine subscription, trip to somewhere interesting to take pictures?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Rocket blower???, oh i see.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooh, that Michael Freeman book is on Kindle – ordered 🙂

GrahamS

Ooh, that Michael Freeman book is on Kindle – ordered

Isn’t the Kindle black-and-white? I think some of the chapters about using colour may be a bit difficult to understand 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Quite possibly 🙂

Some Kindle books have links to images online though – will see.

DrJ

You can buy it on the Kindle store and use it on a colour device like an iPad, or your home computer.

I think it’s a pretty good use of electronic books – for books that aer big and heavy that you maybe won’t use that often.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah.. so the file is actually in colour? Was assuming that it’d still be B&W if viewed on a computer… nice.

DrJ

I assume it is in colour – when I have bought books fom Kindle store they have always been in colour

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Today's photography question’ is closed to new replies.