Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Today's obscure 'DIY' Question: Electrical Certificates Scotland.
  • juanking

So, we had an extension built just under 3 years ago and I’m doing the merry dance getting all the paperwork sorted with the council for a completion certificate. There are a few small things which I’m literally doing today however one is looking like a real issue. The electrical company (Instalec Technology) went bust shortly after we paid our invoice. I’ve only just realised that we have not had our BS7671:2008 electrical certificate which the council want.
    Has any one had experience of this or have suggestions on how I can get a certificate? Is it possible to get another firm to come in and provide the necessary document presumably at some cost?

Pretty stumped so suggestions welcomed or recommended sparkies in the NE Scotland appreciated.

Cheers.

scotroutes

Basically, that. Just be prepared for a sharp intake of breath 🙂

juanking

Cheers, any indication of costs? A flat rate or a % of the fit?, if it’s a couple of £100 then so be it any more then it may well prove to be a costly oversight. My only excuse is the mrs had our first child on the day before the build was completed so we were somewhat distracted!

3 jobs down off the snagging list 1 left and getting the certificate sorted..

Cheers!!

squirrelking
    Free Member

I would speak to the building control, something at the back of my mind says you can get it signed off (at cost) after an inspection. They have their own people.

juanking

Just had a quote after sending the guys photos of the consumer unit which was updated as part of the job. £300+vat which will include all necessary certificates. This is for 3 rooms, all ground floor all totally new, does that sound reasonable to you chaps?

properbikeco
    Free Member

ask your local building control who they use – might be an inhouse council spark can test for you, or they may have a preferred contractor, either should not be any hassle and a fair price

alanl
    Free Member

It sounds rather expensive to me.
    2 hours on site testing/inspecting, then an hour in the office writing it out, I’d expect £200 total at most.
    They will have to do a Periodic Inpsection, producing an Electrical Installation Condition Report.
    They cannot ‘sign off’ anothers work, but can inspect & test it, and say it is both safe, and complies with the Standards when it was installed.
    It is up to the Building Control as to whether they will accept the EICR. Most will, once you have explained the problem.
    However, there have been reports of the BC not accepting the ‘surface’ inspection (of which the EICR is – no dismantling of floor/walls!), and requiring a few holes knocked in the plaster to ensure the cables are ran in the correct ‘safe’ zones. These stories may be apocryphal, I’ve never had any problems myself.
    Ring up BC first to ensure that you can go ahead to get it inspected by a 3rd party, and that they will accept the Report, and give you the Completion Certificate.

juanking

Thanks for all the advice guys. I’ll hold off getting the guys in who quoted until I’ve spoken to the BCO first. Apparently I should check also check with NICEIC and SELECT in case they have the/a certificate and it just wasn’t sent to me. If they don’t then I’ll get the guys in to issue an EICR if the BCO can’t suggest someone else and they’ll accept it.

Cheers!

juanking

Well you have to laugh. The company who quoted £300 started getting really shirty last night saying that if I didn’t confirm today (before speaking with the BCO) they couldn’t fit me in till December if at all. Some of the trades folk around here in Aberdeen really are special.

RustyMac

Juanking,

I know a decent spark in Aberdeen. My email is in my profile if you want his details. I haven spoken to him in a few months so don’t know his workload atm but if you let him know what you need doing and a specific date for it he’d soon tell you if he will be able to do it for you.

juanking

Cheers Russ. I’ll have a better idea what’s needed after I’ve spoken to the council. Thanks again.

juanking

Quick update. After discussing this with the NICEIC they started investigating and found a new company who did a ‘transfer of enrollment’ from the now dissolved company. Basically that meant the new company automatically were liable/responsible for the work even though it was carried out under a different company name. Upshot of this is the EICR report was carried out and they fitted a hardwired smoke detector all for free. The Council Building Inspector is happy with all the paperwork so has now signed it all off.
    If anyone has any similar queries contact the NICEIC they were really helpful.

Ta

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Today's obscure 'DIY' Question: Electrical Certificates Scotland.’ is closed to new replies.