• This topic has 31 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Today's moral dilemma.
  • jam-bo

Is it ok to buy the daily mail in order to get a free lego x-wing

I feel unclean.

RustySpanner

Yes.

But you have to buy the Guardian or Morning Star too, balance innit?

m0rk
    Free Member

Yes. No. Yes. No.

No.

Yes.

Erm. No.

(I’d almost prefer to pay full price for the lego and not buy the DM personally)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonahtonto
    Free Member

depends what you intend doing with the paper afterwards?
    what i mean is, you cant recycle it as it may infect other literature and you cant burn it as its particles could end up in the food chain. as far as im aware the only safe thing is to encase it in concrete for 15000 years

jam-bo

I did ask if I could pay for it and then put it back.

Dark-Side

I wouldn’t. Buying it means contributing to increased circulation figures and making the bile filled rag more popular with advertisers.

molgrips
    Free Member

We bought it for the free Lego a few years ago. Outside of the newsagent I grabbed it out of my wife’s hands and dumped it straight in the bin. As she is foreign I had to explain why I took such drastic action. To be honest it’s not that I wanted to politically censor it, more that I knew what a bad mood it would have put her in 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

I wouldn’t give a toss about morals but please don’t read it, it will only make you unhappy 🙁

Cougar

It’s a risk. What if someone you know sees you?

I pick up the Sun on Sundays for my mum (she only gets it for the TV guide). I keep meaning to carry another magazine to hide it inside that I’d be less embarrassed to be seen with, like Razzle.

chewkw
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    Is it ok to buy the daily mail in order to get a free lego x-wing

I feel unclean.

Depending on how greedy you are as a person really.

Most people can be bought with some incentives/money etc.

Yes, go buy it you know you want it.

It is a Lego x-wing so nicceeee.

Drac

No it’s **** not.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s probably costing them money to do this. It’ll be a loss leader, hoping to generate new sales. So if you only ever buy it when there’s a free Lego toy then you will be costing them money. More than if you never buy it at all.

Onzadog
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes buy and put paper in recycling thus taking it out of circulation.

maycontainnuts

Steal it

Drac

The answer you seek is here:

That’s not the one .

Yes buy and put paper in recycling thus taking it out of circulation.

Ay?

chewkw
    Free Member

“…greedy …” is the wrong description. (trying to translate from one language is not easy sometimes)

Should be “… tempted …”.

Depending on how tempted you are to change your views to buy something from the “right”.

zippykona

How does it work,do you need a voucher?
    My parents get that paper. I can get their voucher.

aracer
    Free Member

I gave it straight back to the assistant in the shop when I last did that – from the reaction I was far from the first. Morally justified in the way molgrips described.

Drac

You’ve bought so therefore boosting their sales figures which means the advertisers are attracted to them so the Daily Mail survives, what you do after bought it means nothing to them.

Rubber_Buccaneer

what you do after bought it means nothing to them.

Or me, carry on

sparksmcguff

Buy it, keep the Lego, recycle paper. The increased circulation figure will lead to a short term increase in ad revenue which will then hopefully dramatically fall away when advertisers realise their ads aren’t effective. You get Lego, the dirty Mac loses money! Win

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My old boss used to get confused when we used to refuse to get him the mail from the office cafe. He thought it was a great paper…

oldnpastit

No. You’re funding the nutjobs. It’s people not taking their responsibilities as members of society seriously that has landed us in the Brexit mess.

Bottom line is, you’d be no better than Michael Gove.

Trekster

So, what is the must read STW approved paper(inc Scottish) ❓

At work we pass various papers around the mess room, they are all very samey………..

Sandwich

It’s a risk. What if someone you know sees you?

They won’t know if it’s wrapped in a Razzle or similar top shelf publication.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So, what is the must read STW approved paper(inc Scottish)

Online news, take a selection but remember who is pushing what. Google now puts a big cross section in front of me and I read a lot of it. The turning of facts to suit agenda is something that is worth spotting. (Take a look at the Trump thread and those leaping in front of bullets to defend a position)

Trekster

That’s the thing nowadays, printed news is a day or days behind the Internet 🙄

frankconway

I asked me eldest son – who loves Star Wars more than I do and he’s 30 – to….. buy two copies, remove x-wings, put on rubber gloves, soak papers in petrol and then set fire.
    Should have told him to gather as many ashes as possible and encase them in concrete – curse of Dacre and all that.
    According to Private Eye he will live longer than Dracula…………………

pondo

Mrs Pondo reads it of a weekend. 🙁 She is otherwise a creature of beauty and wisdom, but I really hate that she buys it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Today's moral dilemma.’ is closed to new replies.