Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Today's moon/stick interface – 700C, 28-30mm, slick, fast, puncture proof tyre?
  • IHN

For the little lady to put on her Super Dew:

gee
    Free Member

Specialized All Condition Armdillo 700x28c

They are practically puncture proof, but sacrifice comfort as the casing is so hard.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Schwalbe durano plus

http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires/durano_plus

Somebody rode 8000km across africa on one set with no punctures!

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I’ve just stuck a Durano Plus on the back of the commuter – it does seem an awesome tyre even at 23c.

Schwalbe Marathon in the 25c flavour is a good tyre too, got those on my SS. A bit chunkier if you like that rather than being totally slick, good for winter.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Specialized All Condition Armdillo 700x28c

They are practically puncture proof, but sacrifice comfort as the casing is so hard.

Handle like a pig on stilts. Harder to fit than a a sumo wrestler’s corset. However, damned tough on the puncture protection front. Recommended.

IHN

Cheers chaps.

Thinking about it, some of the puncture-proofness can probably be sacrificed for increased comfort.

I was just looking at the Durano Performance on Wiggle, plus the Conti Ultragators. I had a set of 26″ Ultragators on my commuter and they were excellent…

ianpinder
    Free Member

yup, I rode across Africa on marathon plus 32c, slightly larger carcass, I also didn’t have a puncture.

For skinny road wheels i would go for the duranos, though would feel more comfortable in the wet on the marathon plus.

thomthumb
    Free Member

panaracer pasella. fast & light, punture proofing is average.

you need flexible casing for a tyre to be fast; this normally means it’s less tough.

druidh
    Free Member

Marathons with the GreenGuard puncture protection are fine. The Marathon Plus is a much heavier version which is almost indestructible but you pay for that in speed.

Conti GP4Seasons are pretty good.

charliedontsurf

Durango plus again here.

They come up large, with my 25mm looking more like a 28mm, which is good.

They feel grippy, and fast, and no punctures yet.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

+1 for Marathon Plus.

boblo
    Free Member

+1 for Paselas. The Tourguard has a kevlar strip so reasonably puncture resistant. Hard wearing as well, I recently got ~3500 miles out of a pair fully loaded touring. Lighter than Marathon’s etc.

RichT

Continental GP4000 four seasons come in 28mm. I’ve had some 23mm for ages and not had a puncture yet.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Another vote for Schwalbe Duranos – they’re ace. I use them commuting and for audax. Almost as swift as a race tyre, yet way sturdier and very puncture resistant. Not hard or stiff, they corner and ride well in the wet.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Today's moon/stick interface – 700C, 28-30mm, slick, fast, puncture proof tyre?’ is closed to new replies.