Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Today's Mac Book problem.
  • zippykona

I connected my iPod so I could sync it. A warning popped up that it was drawing too much power and to remove it.Even though the mac book was plugged in. Tried a few more times and now my usb ports don’t seem to work. Tried different cables and devices with no joy.
    Obviously I’ve googled this and have no idea what they are talking about. One helpful response was to take it to an apple store. ****.
    So I throw myself upon you good folk again.
    Does a System Reset wipe all the data on my computer?

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

I would try a SMC reset, can’t remember the keystroke combo do it, Google for Mac SMC reset for the details..

zippykona

Will I need to back up before the reset?

loddrik
    Free Member

sorry to thread hijack but I also have a Macbook problem. Just got one and tried to install steam, can’t remember my steam login details and when I try and get them I keep getting a message that says I can’t connect to the steam servers. Is this an issue with my Macbook or with steam?

Drac

It’s an issue with Steam, if you can connect to other places on the internet.

https://steamstat.us

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

Nope. The SMC reset does a reset of the power management firmware, it doesn’t do much to the OS itself

loddrik
    Free Member

sorted now

zippykona

Tried the smc. The charge light changed colour as it said it would so I assume I’ve done it correctly. Still getting the message. What shall I try next?

IA

Plugged the ipod into something else to see if it’s that?

I do wonder if you’ve got a damaged cable/ipod and shorted the USB power rails.

Fairly obvious question: you tried powering it down, unplugging it and leaving it a bit, then boot it and try a different usb device?

If you look in system information what does it say about your USB devices?

zippykona

Clicked on usb and it said lots of stuff that a numpty like me won’t understand.
    There’s a lot of niggles on my laptop now would going back to factory settings sort them out?

hypnotoad
    Free Member

How old is the macbook?

I have a 9 year old one which throws that USB error, even with nothing plugged in.

zilog6128

Given that the SMC reset didn’t work, possible causes/solutions:

1) Battery is old & on the way out. How old is the laptop? Has the battery been replaced before (especially with 3rd party battery?) New batteries are not that expensive from Apple. You can probably get it replaced via post which may be more convenient than going to an Apple Store.

2) USB cable(s) damaged. I’ve had this before with cheap 3rd party cables. Try a genuine Apple cable which you know for a fact works (ideally someone elses)

3) Something is broken on the logic board (which will need replacing).

brassneck

2) USB cable(s) damaged. I’ve had this before with cheap 3rd party cables. Try a genuine Apple cable which you know for a fact works (ideally someone elses)

That’d be my first shout.

Is it a really old iPod? It’s not actually FireWire connect is it? I still have my 3rd Gen FW one and it’s 30 pin iPod end but should be in a FW port to sync. The power supply is really meaty, and if I remember right it didn’t charge when connected, only on the charger.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Today's Mac Book problem.’ is closed to new replies.