Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Today’s lunchtime debate – legalising prostitution
  • G
    Free Member

Speaking as a resident of Ipswich, I can’t really see the argument for maintaining the status quo. Clearly what we are doing now is neither right nor working. So there is no question that we need to do something different IMHO, and then keep doing something different until we arrive at a solution that works. Walking round with blinkers on and sweeping things under the carpet doesn’t actually solve anything. If it be that legalising prostitution removes the sex trade from the control of the drug pushers, people smugglers and other nasty low lifes then thats a result IMHO.

G

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Speaking as a resident of Ipswich, I can’t really see the argument for maintaining the status quo. Clearly what we are doing now is neither right nor working. So there is no question that we need to do something different IMHO, and then keep doing something different until we arrive at a solution that works. Walking round with blinkers on and sweeping things under the carpet doesn’t actually solve anything”

you could say that sums up the governments attitue to the banking crisis.

midlifecrashes

Speaking from Doncaster, where we have had a big street prostitution problem, the police and streetreach people have never seen a prostitute on the streets who wasn’t a drug adict, usually heroin, but some crack these days. The whores are not doing it as a career choice, but to fund their addiction. In my view the answer is to offer free (on-site only to prevent resale) injections of diamorphine on demand at GP clinics and chemists, all you want, when you want it, it’s dirt cheap anyway. The street stuff then ceases to have an economic value and the network of prostitutes, burglars, shoplifters and handlers collapses. From a moral point of view it’s not justifiable, but when has drug illegality ever stopped anyone who has become an addict already?

coffeeking
    Free Member

is anyone going to admit to having had a prostitute ? I’d never even knowingly seen one until last year when a young woman solicited me. I was embarrassed and walked away quickly…

Never “used” one. Hardly avoidable in a large city, no need to be embarrassed – they’re human too. Had plenty of offers from them but when you turn them down often enough they tend to get to know you and just say hi. Or offer you two for one (shudder).

As midlife says, they tend to be drugged to the eyeballs, covered in bruises and freezing on the streets.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Where can I get a cheeap frame/fork for the wife?

Today’s lunchtime debate – legalising prostitution

Funnily, this is how these two threads appeared in the main menu!

Cor, imagine, if all you got for your wife, was an On-One…

oldgit
    Free Member

Definately needs to be looked at from both sides of the fence.
    There’s always concern for the women and their health. But what often goes unreported is the damage done to otherwise stable families of the ‘punters’ when it all goes wrong.
    Legal or not many wives would have very different views to us men.
    I’ve not been involved with anyone or been in any’situations’ but certain events outside of my life have made me totally re evaluate this old chestnut.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d point out that the relationship wasnt in great shape if the bloke is using prostitutes, so really it is just revealing the problem. But that has nothing whatsoever to do with legalising it.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

But what often goes unreported is the damage done to otherwise stable families of the ‘punters’ when it all goes wrong.

If a punter in an outwardly appearing stable family feels the need to visit a prostitute then the damage is already there.

Of course some people visit prostitutes because they like it, no break-down in marriage or other problems required.

Some would argue that you always pay for sex, one way or the other.

sofatester
    Free Member

“Some would argue that you always pay for sex, one way or the other.”

Married Sooty?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

jojoA1
    Free Member

The main reason I’d support legalisation is that it is no different from many jobs. Labouring on a building site is essentially whoring your body out to move stuff about and apply some skills. It can be dangerous, not everyone would want to do it etc etc

I’ve often thought this about various jobs where you do what might be considered demeaning by some people, care work, nursing etc.

I used to volunteer at a sex workers’ support service in Edinburgh and did various jobs like handing out condoms, health leaflets and warning notices about ‘bad punters’ to the the workers on the streets and in the Edinburgh ‘saunas’.

I actually ended up working as a receptionist in one of the saunas when I couldn’t get other work. It involved handing out locker keys and towels and taking the fees for the use of the sauna and gym etc. The ‘masseuses’ dealt with the fees for their own services and paid a ‘shift’ fee to the sauna. It was a most edifying experience.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Another intelligent, lucid post from BD. You’re the Jekyll to PaddedFred’s Hyde

That’s a very interesting way of looking at things, actually!

Second the comment about BD’s post. Very well considered and rationalised.

Further to BD’s point about yer Crack/Smack-Addict prostitutes not being the type who would get to work in nice, safe environments with licenses; Cab and Taxi services are legal and licensed, but that does not in any way stop some bloke on minimum wage/unemployed trying to feed his kids, from doing a bit of unlicensed cabbing.

Legalising prostitution, in my experience and opinion, would do very little to actually address the issues which force many women into selling themselves. Someone mentioned providing addicts with clean, controlled doses, so as to undermine the illegal drugs trade, which lies at the root of many ills, such as prostitution, robbery, etc.

Good in theory, but in practice, very difficult to set up and run safely and successfully. Chemists and GP’s surgeries have been robbed, and workers harmed, by people seeking to get hold of Diamorphine and Methadone supplies. A clean centre supplying addicts would need heavy security. Then you’ve got the issue of local residents not wanting to live near such a place, for understandable reasons. And would you actually get users to come to such a centre in the first place? I’ve heard of situations where police have targeted areas around drug clinics/needle exchanges, because they know they will be able to make many successful arrests, which helps them with their ‘clear-up’ figures. Then the addicts avoid the place, and the problem becomes worse.

A very deep and complex issue. not one that can be successfully addressed merely by legalising prostitution, as that does not in any way deal with why women are on the Game in the first place.

Criminalising someone who has huge personal problems is wrong, however. Just exacerbates the situation. Hooker gets nicked, fine imposed, she then has to ‘work’ to pay off the fine…

Prostitution, as it is in reality, is not good. But then, to really eliminate the supply, you have to eliminate the demand.

Hmm…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Assuming you’ll never eliminate demand, which you wont, all you can do is try to help those who provide the service. There will always be those who dont want help, this cannot be helped.

theotherjonv

it is still illegal to ‘live off immoral earnings’

I’ve spotted a means to get Fred Goodwin after all!

coffeeking
    Free Member

earnings are only immoral if you you consider prostitution immoral. I’d say those out giving it away freely to all and sundry in clubs were more immoral than those using it to pay to keep themselves homed.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

“If a punter in an outwardly appearing stable family feels the need to visit a prostitute then the damage is already there.”

I dont think that view is quiet accurate. I think some men would be happy seeing a prostitute for occasional ‘somebody new’ sex, but would want to keep thier partner/marriage at the same time. That would imply selfishness/greed rather than unhappiness. I suspect most women would not want to stay with a partner who made that choice though – at least, not when they found out!

I can’t say as I would knowingly date a man I knew had used prostitutes. I would not be happy with his view of women as objects to be purchased as I would be concerned he would view all women in such an empty way and to be honest, I would see him as kind of cheap and sleezy.

Moses

Rude Boy – if addicts could get free drugs, why would there be a need to rob the dispensaries? They are targeted now becasue the drugs are illegal and expensive.
    Heroin is not an overly dangerous drug, when administered properly.

Criminalisation of prostitution-related activity is causing the problems, like criminalisation of drugs causes crime.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

I would not be happy with his view of women as objects to be purchased……

Is it so different to all the Kevs out on a Saturday night buying alco pops for a girls to try and get a jump at the end of the night?

jojoA1
    Free Member

What about whether men who used prostitutes would be happy for their wives/girlfriends to be a prostitute? That always throws up some interesting double standards.

Would the good people of STW ever have a relationship with someone who is or used to be a prostitute?

The girls I met had horrendous difficulties with relationships because of how men viewed them and some of them came across as very morally minded and ‘non-promiscuous’ when ‘out of character’ so to speak.

trailmonkey

Criminalisation of prostitution-related activity is causing the problems, like criminalisation of drugs causes crime.

Correctomundo.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I dont think that view is quiet accurate. I think some men would be happy seeing a prostitute for occasional ‘somebody new’ sex, but would want to keep thier partner/marriage at the same time. That would imply selfishness/greed rather than unhappiness.

It could mean a very different libido between partners and one finding a way to “vent” rather than leave as the rest of the relationship is fine. However I would still suggest the relationship is flawed.

I would not be happy with his view of women as objects to be purchased as I would be concerned he would view all women in such an empty way and to be honest, I would see him as kind of cheap and sleezy.

He’s not purchasing the woman though is he, he is purchasing a service. Just like you might pay someone to do your gardening, or give you a waxing. The only reason anyone sees this as any different is because it involves soemthing which apparently should be restricted to between two people in a relationship. That’s a slightly odd and very outdated view by anyones book. In my opinion your partner should be the person you talk to about problems and your relationship, not a therapist, but I dont consider therapy to be some sort of immoral earnings.

sofatester
    Free Member

As Sooty said – “Some would argue that you always pay for sex, one way or the other”

“The only reason anyone sees this as any different is because it involves soemthing which apparently should be restricted to between two people in a relationship. That’s a slightly odd and very outdated view by anyones book.”

Bang on the money Coffee!

coffeeking
    Free Member

What about whether men who used prostitutes would be happy for their wives/girlfriends to be a prostitute? That always throws up some interesting double standards.

Not sure it’s double standards unless that person would happily USE a prostitute but wouldnt like their other half to be one.

I realise some of my previous comments now look like I’m advocating scenes like the last days of Rome, I’m not, I just think things shouldnt be quite so looked down upon and are more complex than good or bad. I wouldnt like my other half to be a prostitute, but likewise I woudlnt want to use one. Doesnt mean I think they’re bad people for making that choice.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Not sure it’s double standards unless that person would happily USE a prostitute but wouldnt like their other half to be one.

That’s exactly the double standard that I suspect most men who use or have used prostitutes would have.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I wonder if most men who have used prostitutes feel like they are “forced to” by their wives/GFs lack of interest though. I can’t imagine wanting to use one if you’re happy with what you have at home.

sofatester
    Free Member

~POLL ALERT~

How many people on here can 100% say they are happy with there “other half”?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Moi 🙂 Not married but been 11 years now 😀

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Rude Boy – if addicts could get free drugs, why would there be a need to rob the dispensaries? They are targeted now becasue the drugs are illegal and expensive.

Moses; Chemists and GPs have been robbed/burgled by organised criminals, rather than a few desperate addicts. Pharmaceutical quality Diamorphine is loads more valuable than skanky street Brown.

Heroin is not an overly dangerous drug, when administered properly.

Yet an incredibly dangerous one, if administered improperly.

Sorry, I see your points, but drugs like Heroin are illegal for good reason, because they are bloody dangerous, in medical and social terms. And what about other drugs like Crack, Coke, Speed, Skunk, Ketamine, Ecstasy, etc? All of which can be very damaging and dangerous.

Giving out free Smack would be like putting a sticking plaster over a severed artery. The issues that lie behind drug addiction, crime and prostitution should be addressed.

jojoA1
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    I wonder if most men who have used prostitutes feel like they are “forced to” by their wives/GFs lack of interest though. I can’t imagine wanting to use one if you’re happy with what you have at home.

Ah, so it’s the woman’s fault? I didn’t realise! 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ah, so it’s the woman’s fault? I didn’t realise!

I’m not even going to begin arguing, as nothing I say will be right 🙂

Moses

RudeBoy- I disagree with some of the above, but it’d take too long to write why.
    But you’re right, we need to address the issues behind social problems.

(And Sofatester, I’m 100% happy with my MrsM. Well, 99%)

Junkyard
    Free Member

we do need to address the issues behind drug use but our current policies serve only to make gansters/criminals richer , criminalise addicts and cost an absolute fortune fighting an[other] unwinable war.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Moses, I’ve worked in and around such services. Seen all sorts of different ‘programs’ tried; most fail.

Got to look at the underlying issues. Got to tackle them. Until that is done, then drug abuse, crime and prostitution will sadly continue.

Prevention leads to a lack of need to Cure.

jonb
    Free Member

I’m going to stick my neck out here and say it’s wrong. . I can’t see how anyone could live with knowing that’s what their daughter, sister etc. did for a living therefore I can’t support it being legalised.

thomthumb
    Free Member

bevause of the money? they’d be doing it anyway- just not for cash.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Its a very funny subject isnt it,bound up in so many social rules yet not in any logic.

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Today’s lunchtime debate – legalising prostitution’ is closed to new replies.