Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Todays infrequently used word
  • Alex

In mildly related news we’ve been trying to slip classic Reggie Perrin quotes past the comms team. I *nearly* had ‘Badger ate signal box at New Malden’ published to the world earlier 🙂

nickc

Slattern

needs to be much more popular

RustySpanner

Apoplexy.

Almost as nice to type as it is to say.

tom200

My son came up with a new one today; ruderise (to make a song ruder that was originally intended). I though that was quite good for a 6 year old.

slowoldman

Apoplexy.

Jake Thackray got that into a song!

swavis

Thrutch

Spin
    Free Member

Thrutch

Been climbing today?

scaredypants

Ftumch

Orgo does

dirtydog
    Free Member

Obfuscate

Harry_the_Spider

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

“servicing” as in when you want a baby horse you take your female horse to the stallion to get it “serviced”
    I also like “occulting” but don’t find many reasons to fit it into conversations these days unlike “walloper”, as in Donald Trump? What a walloper.

AdamW
    Free Member

When thinking of certain political positions the word ‘antediluvian’ does come to mind a lot. *koff*koff*UKIP*koff.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I had the pleasure yesterday of using ampersand and nomenclature in the same sentence, which also came hot on the heels of fluglebinder. I was, I admit, positively giddy by the end of it all.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Thus.

Describing something, then drawing it or pointing to it and saying…

“Thus”.

Also read a book years ago where one of the characters would start a sentence with “Now” instead of “ermm”. It’s an unusual opener, he postulated, and gets people’s attention, while also buying you valuable seconds to formulate your thoughts. Also it’s not as hesitant or indecisive as ‘ermm’.
    Not many other people get that, but I like it.

sirromj

I usually have enough trouble speaking with normal words, but managed to use the word simulcrum in conversation the other day…. [oops spoiler deleted!]
    *later admitted to youtubing it.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I have two:

Please and Thank-you. (bit of a cheat I know)

frankconway

@AdamW; could also use troglodyte

wombat

Ullage is a favourite of mine.

When writing reports I endeavour to include at least one word that is likely to result in the reader reaching for a dictionary

scaredypants

SOmeone at work today got in with integumentary but that’s worky jargon and so I’m not letting him have it

TimothyD
    Free Member

Flibbertigibbet is one of my favourite words, and flummoxed is a close second.

I think they’re both lovely.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Effulgent and pulchritudinous – two words that belong in chat-up lines that have probably never been anywhere near a chat-up line.

vondally
    Free Member

Merkin

Buffoonery

Shenanigans

slackalice
    Free Member

Recusant.

The other day, Slack jr telling us about his cross country run and chatting to one of his fellow “runnee’s”

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Todays infrequently used word’ is closed to new replies.