Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • todays idiot question… 10 or 11 spd?
  • daftvader
    Free Member

afternoon,
    rebuilding one of my bikes and trying to keep costs to a minimum… is there any practical difference between 10 an 11 spd? apart from the obvious extra cog… yes i am a bit thick when it comes to this as i have run 2007 9spd X9 till i stopped riding a couple of years ago…
    now i am desperately trying to keep costs below £200 and have managed to make up what i need on crc for 145 in 10 speed. should i suck it up and pay the extra £50 odd for 11 spd?
    cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1x or 2x? 2×11 seems fairly pointless u less you plan a 1x . conversion later.

daftvader
    Free Member

1x

richardthird

I’m building a 1×10 and 1×11 at the mo. Only reason I’m going for 1×11 on one bike is cos Shimano Hydro road shifters are 11sp only.

Otherwise I stick to 10sp and much cheaper mechs, cassettes and chains.

munrobiker
    Free Member

What are you trying to put together? Mech, chain, cassette shifter for 11 speed can be had for £145 no bother at all.

Shifter

Cassette

Chain

Mech

If that’s £145 with cranks then I’d probably go 10 speed, if it’s £145 without then it’d be silly not to go 11 speed and reap the benefits of the extra range with smaller gaps between gears.

daftvader
    Free Member

Bb, cable set as well… I prefer to get all from one supplier and no eBay…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Well, if you want to run stuff that isn’t as good because it all comes in one box then carry on.

Shifters come with cables. BBs are a tenner.

daftvader
    Free Member

The thing is, I’ve been out of the bike scene for so long I don’t know what’s good and what’s not…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘todays idiot question… 10 or 11 spd?’ is closed to new replies.