Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Today's eBay chancer – bought a bike off me – advice please!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I sold a bike on eBay. As anyone who’s ever bought a bike from me will tell you (I’ve sold a few on here) I service and prep my sale bikes carefully and they’re always as good as they can be, working well, and good value.

This guy was a pain in the arse from the second he won, but I won’t go into that. The bike arrived with him on Monday, tracked via TNT, and today I get a message saying two things:
    1) I’d supplied the worong pedals
    Fair dos. I’d just pooped some new ones in the box and they’re obviously kids bike 1/2in thread. I’ve told him I’ll get some new ones posted out tomorrow
    2) That the pedal threads in the cranks(s?) are stripped
    This is simply not true. I serviced the bike, fitted some pedals of my own and txt rode it before removing my pedals for sale. Those threads are perfect, or at least they were when they went in the box.

Basically, I’ve told him to do one, not in so many words

The only thing I’m worried about is that if he opens a case and eBay, as usual, side with the buyer, can PayPal take money direct from my linked bank account or debit cards? My PP account is currently £0
    That’s it, that’s all I’m worried about.
    Advice?

Cheers chaps 🙂

beej

I’m assuming the buyer knows that one of the pedal threads is reversed, and hasn’t just tried to screw one in the wrong way and thought the thread was stripped?

flange
    Free Member

I’ve had a similar situation and yes, normally they come down on the side of the buyer. To the point where you normally end up muchos out of pocket because of it.

My suggestion would be send him the bits he needs, or offer him a refund. Sadly ebay seems to be full of dickheads these days…if I have one more fool tell me he can buy it cheaper from china, I’ll …well I’ll not do much. Bit you get the idea

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Andy

buyer collects for bikes for me Pete.

Buyer: That Colnago had a dent in the top tube
    Me: No it didn’t because we checked it when you bought it
    Buyer: Heres a photo
    Me: Well that happened after you collected it because we checked it when you bought it, and heres a photo with no dent.
    Buyer goes quiet

As flange says – many dickheads…

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

No paypal can’t take the money from your bank account but they can debit the pp account leaving you with a negative balance. Then you have their debt collection people chasing you within a few days, I had a bad experience with pp whilst selling and would not sell using pp again.
    Richard

Euro
    Free Member

Maybe he tried to put the pedals on and damaged the threads and that’s how he realised you supplied the wrong pedals?

taxi25
    Free Member

^^^^

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I don’t care what he did in the slightest. Not my problem. He was a PITA from the off. The first time it’s really happened to me.

Tricky – Thanks, as I suspected. Well they’re stuffed now, I’ve just closed my PP account. 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve just closed my PP account.

which just makes you look dodgy!

Jamie
    Free Member

Not my problem.

….but you sent him the wrong pedals? So if he did do the damage trying to fit them etc etc

You have to remember, not everyone is a professional mechanic like yourself. So maybe he took a few tries before he realised they were not compatible.

geoffj

Don’t piss about or you will lose the bike and your money.
    Offer a full and unconditional refund now to the buyer through the eBay messaging system.

Well they’re stuffed now, I’ve just closed my PP account.

That was probably one of the worst things you could have done 😕

phunkmaster
    Free Member

What is it with eBay and bike parts? Sounds like the buyer has frigged up the threads and is trying their luck.

I have given up with eBay and selling bike parts.

Years ago I sold a wheel, two rides old. Buyer claims it was so buckled a bike shop couldn’t repair it. Wanted a refund. I asked for the store’s number and it went quiet.

Hope you sort it.

woodnut
    Free Member

you’d have to be very hamfisted to knack up full size crank threads with kiddies pedals
    😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

which just makes you look dodgy!

I can live with that. 🙂

You have to remember, not everyone is a professional mechanic like yourself.

That’s why I put words something like this in the advert:
    The bike will arrive boxed and require some assembly and adjustment before use. If you’re unsure how to that, please talk to you local bike shop who should be glad to do it for you at cost.

So maybe he took a few tries before he realised they were not compatible.

If you put a kids bike pedal into an adult bike crank, it flops around like a prick in a bowler hat. It’s not even close.

Beginning to wish I’d not put any explanation at all in this thread…!

To be honest if he’d not pissed me around as much as he did before he even PAID I’d have offered a refund already, but he hacked me off so much I can’t be arsed any more.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Aww balls.
    I’ve come over all nice because I’m in a good mood and offered to send him some new (literally brand new) M442 crank arms I’ve got. I’d forgotten about them. He seems very happy with that indeed.
    (As you would if you’d just mashed your pedal threads!)

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ask for the old arms back…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nahh. I’m not that much of a ****!

Matt_SS_xc

I had a similar issue a year or so ago. I tried to fight it but buyer won with pp. however they won’t talk your money until you have received the bike back. Buyer pays return postage. In my case the buyer never returned the bike….I think he was hoping I would just give him a partial refund. Call their bluff, worst case is you end up with the bike back!

weeksy

Who’s going to fit the new arms? The same guy who can’t even fit pedals without stripping threads?

Superficial
    Free Member

I had a similar issue a year or so ago. I tried to fight it but buyer won with pp. however they won’t talk your money until you have received the bike back. Buyer pays return postage. In my case the buyer never returned the bike….I think he was hoping I would just give him a partial refund. Call their bluff, worst case is you end up with the bike back!

Unfortunately I think you’re right – it seems to be a massive loophole with Paypal/eBay’s buyer-biased setup. I have done what you suggest a couple of times (offer a full refund when the buyer makes a ‘not as described’ complaint) and neither time did they send the item back for said refund. It seems any buyer can just chance it though and at least some of the time they’ll get a partial refund.

eBay is way too impersonal – people simply don’t care about screwing you over and normal human courtesy goes out the window. If only the classifieds here weren’t so similar…

morgs
    Free Member

This is all speculation guys as we don’t know what has happened to the bike (if anything) and, tbf, it doesn’t matter a jot.

Seller – of opinion he provided decent goods
    Buyer – not happy

I’d go down the route of a private resolution. It is a PITA but worth it in the long run. I sold a Spesh Hardrock custom build on fleabay. Was 100% honest in the description (all parts working when built 12 months ago, covered less than 200 miles since, some parts may need servicing) but the buyer still came after me as the forks needed a service. In the end, I refunded £20 for the parts and he did the repair himself. Sorted.

nwill1
    Free Member

Cash on collection when I sell…

Buyer – Inspects goods
    Buyer – Happy
    Buyer – Hands over cash
    Buyer & Seller Happy…

Saying that I did sell a cracked frame as ‘spares or repairs’ one time on ebay…it was in capitals in the title and in the description, with detailed photos…the guy brought and paid for the frame then said…”I’ve just noticed it’s cracked…can I still ride it?” He never came back though!

ricky1
    Free Member

Did you try to sell the bike on here first OP,I don’t think I wouldn’t sell anything bigger than a pair of cranks on eBay,especially a bike,it is genuinely full of dicks.
    Easy fix for you really,just send him some new cranks and pedals and iff he moans about that then it means you have the dick of dicks and prepare to lose some cash.
    Hope all ends well.

oreetmon
    Free Member

sent a frame to spain and wheels to italy the same week, ‘shockingly’ neither turned up a the address (both sent sign for and HAD been signed for) paypal blindly backed buyers and oreetmon challenged it,,, even had a post office pal track the items to each address with his techno know how.
    oreetmon closes paypal account and sends lots of evidence and 8 months worth of ‘you cannot be f****** serious’ emails to paypal

they sold the debt to bayliffs, only then did i pay it.

paypal is ruthless.

check it,,,,,, http://www.aboutpaypal.com

devash
    Free Member

No paypal can’t take the money from your bank account but they can debit the pp account leaving you with a negative balance. Then you have their debt collection people chasing you within a few days, I had a bad experience with pp whilst selling and would not sell using pp again.
    Richard

They shouldn’t but they can and they will try and debit your bank account / credit card, so might be an idea to cancel the direct debit and check your card statement on a regular basis unless you sell lots and need the Paypal account active.

Just a bit of advice re Paypal’s ‘debt collection agency’. In the UK you can only collect a debt if there is a valid credit agreement signed by both parties. As the ‘debt’ Paypal saddles you with when they put a negative balance on your account is not a real debt enforceable under UK law, they try it on by getting a faux-collection agency to hassle you by calling, texting , emailing several times a day. You’ll also get official looking letters threatening court action.

Most people believe they can do this, give in to their demands and pay up. What they are doing though is completely illegal and all it takes is a letter sent to the ‘collection agency’ by registered psot asking to see a copy of the signed credit agreement (which doesn’t exist remember as its not a real debt) and they’ll get off your case.

Of course, you won’t be able to use Paypal again under your own name, but at least some scrote hasn’t got away with a free bike.

they sold the debt to bayliffs, only then did i pay it.

Unfortunate mate. Knowing the above info could have saved you money.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Much simpler selling at Muddock.Bit of a nightmare these days selling to people with all the gear and no idea 🙄

muzzle
    Free Member

I’d just pooped some new ones in the box

*snigger*

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

ricky1 – Member
    Did you try to sell the bike on here first OP,I don’t think I wouldn’t sell anything bigger than a pair of cranks on eBay,especially a bike,it is genuinely full of dicks.
    Easy fix for you really,just send him some new cranks and pedals and iff he moans about that then it means you have the dick of dicks and prepare to lose some cash.
    Hope all ends well.

Not the sort of bike anyone here would have been interested in. Cheap jump bike.
    I’ve not had any real problems in the last 10+ years and I have 600+ feedback

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Today's eBay chancer – bought a bike off me – advice please!’ is closed to new replies.