Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Today's dull topic – kitchen appliances, who is good?
  • lunge

New kitchen time at lunge towers and this means new appliances, oh what fun.

We need a fridge/freezer, electric oven and dishwasher. I’ve always gone for Bosch in the last, they seen to last well and don’t break down too often. So before I go for the same again, are there any other manufacturers worth aiming at/avoiding? I’d love Miele stuff but sadly can not afford such luxury items!

Oh, and while we’re here, I need a new blender too as I’ve managed to burn another Kenwood job out making soup, any suggestions?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Bosch DW here and it’s way better than the POS Whirlpool we had before. Neff fridge freezer needed a new fan at only 3 years old and Neff Microwave broke down after about 8 years of a bit more than moderate use, so not entirely convinced by them but they look nice.
    13 year old Brittania cooking range …… meh, one oven very slow to heat up and grill is noisy.

sam_underhill

Neff, Bosch & Siemens are all the same aren’t they?

edhornby

we have a beko fridge – different handles and it’s a smeg with double the pricetag

spend the money on a decent oven, the fridge and dishwasher aren’t that important really, manufacturing quality of these are much of a muchness and all good quality nowadays like modern cars…. blender, just a cheap handheld jobbie will be fine

Rio

Neff, Bosch & Siemens are all the same aren’t they?

All part of BSH. According to the sales person in a well known department store that’s never knowingly undersold the BSH stuff that’s made in Germany is very good, the stuff from their Turkish factory is ok, and the other stuff from undefined sources is no better than your Beko’s etc. Seems to be born out by our recent purchases – German-made Neff oven and Siemens washing machine are great but Turkish-made Neff dishwasher is a bit plasticky and I’m sure won’t last the 15 years its predecessor (Bosch branded as Hotpoint) did.

johndoh
    Free Member

spend the money on a decent oven, the fridge and dishwasher aren’t that important really, manufacturing quality of these are much of a muchness

Totally agree – we have had Neff, Siemens and Smeg dishwasher in the past, each one only lasted two or three years. We then bought a Kenwood which was half the price, did as good a job and lasted as long (we moved out so I have no idea if it is still going).

At our new place we have Neff stuff throughout (dishwasher, fridge freezer, microwave and oven) and it is all ancient (almost 30 years old) and still going strong so I assume it is all the modern stuff that is just bobbins.

We bought new washing machine and tumble drier but bought cheap and they are still going strong two years on – I will adopt the same approach as mentioned above when we refit our kitchen in the autumn – cheap dishwasher and fridge, but get a decent mahoosive range cooker 8)

cranberry
    Free Member

My parents have a Neff microwave/oven – a cheap no branded microwave from Asda heats food quicker and more reliably – It’s been fixed once, and it is still less than impressive. Not a brand I would rush towards.

bigblackshed

Siemens here. Long guarantee, bought from a Euronics shop so comes with lifetime callout and labour, just pay for the parts.

doris5000

my last washing machine was a Beko, worked fine and was still going strong after nearly 10 years when i moved out. i bought another Beko for the new place. time will tell…

alpin
    Free Member

Siemanns, miele.
    End of.

ocrider

Before moving our kitchen was all Neff.
    The only thing that didn’t survive a decade was the washer/dryer. I’m glad we have the room for both machines in the new place.

But anyway, it’s already been said, but it is worth underlining the fact that Bosch = Siemens = Neff

smokey_jo

Miele is alright until it goes wrong then it becomes very expensive. We have a 5 year old combi oven / microwave / grill that is very temperamental and when the service guy came out his diagnostics showed nothing wrong. Problem persisted so called them back and they wanted another call out fee despite him not fixing it in the first place.

A rubber seal for the door – a very simple seal at that – £30 + Vat.

Had a miele conduction hob go wrong too within 5 years. The neff we replaced it with seems much better.

Washing machine and tumble dryer – always buy cheap (Beko) and if it breaks out of warranty then replace rather than fix unless it’s just a seal or pipe.

DezB
    Free Member

Stock STW answer: johnlewis.com, sort by price>Highest first. Top brand result is the one.

bails

My parents were given a microwave as a wedding present. 28 years later it finally packed up. I can’t remember the brand unfortunately.

Then my dad remembered that he’d taken out an extended warranty on it and had been paying £3 a month for the best part of three decades. I think their new one was supplied by the warranty people for free*. 🙂

*I say ‘free’ what I actually mean is £3 x 12 months x 28 years = £1008, without even adjusting for inflation 😆

D0NK

😆 was it a 28year old model aswell 😆

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Another vote for the John Lewis option.

bails

was it a 28year old model aswell

😆 “like for like” would have been funny. No, it was just a ‘normal’ modern one, so probably £50-£75.

jekkyl

a cheap handheld jobbie will be fine

ewwww gross. [/scottish joke]

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve always found that the cheaper lower spec German models have been perfectly fine for me. I’ve just gone for a cheaper Neff oven and hob, and cheap Bosch dishwasher and washing machine which are all great – really nice quality. Never seen the point in spending so much on Meile. I’m sure they are better, but i’ve had my current £230 Bosch washing machine is getting on for 15 years old now and it has been 100% reliable in all that time, and the dishwasher I had for 6yrs which also gave 100% perfect service and only got replaced as we swapped out our kitchen and the wife wanted a different coloured one.

If you’ve got a bit of cash left over then consider a Quooker hot tap. I got one of these as a bit of an extravagance – wasn’t cheap, so don’t even try to justify it, but I can truly say it is one of the best kitchen gadgets i’ve ever had. Don’t scrimp on the other options alternatives too – Quooker are the only ones where the water is 100 degrees out of the tap rather than 98 degrees – makes all the difference to a cup of tea.

DezB
    Free Member

Where can I get one of these 28 year old models please?

andermt
    Free Member

Every appliance in our kitchen is now Bosch as got fed up with stuff only lasting a couple of years. All bought from the John Lewis Outlet shop (scratch & dent stuff)

Last item went in about 4 years ago so doing better already.
    The record for worst was the Beko washing machine which only lasted 1 wash!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Today's dull topic – kitchen appliances, who is good?’ is closed to new replies.