Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)
  • Todays Budget
  • molgrips
    Free Member

IR35 isn't a problem if you run a proper business, just band together with another contractor – job done

Not a bad idea. Currently a bit worried about my current contract not being project-based.

Who wants to join me?

cranberry
    Free Member

You'd think that she would have a bit of shame – stand up, apologise for being part of a government that has damaged the economy more than any other since Labour were last in power, walk out of the door and throw herself under a bus.

uplink
    Free Member

i would have liked to see a massive hike in VAT for non essential expensive luxury stuff and leave it alone for food, clothes etc.

Most food is VAT free, as are kids clothes

br
    Free Member

molgrips

tbh we just kinda fell into it, as I went contracting first and then my wife joined me – and because we both earn fees, we've no issue with divi's nor IR35.

Also no probs with expenses (at a single 'client' over 2 years, as its treated as an 'outsource').

You just need to ensure that if you join with someone else that you write up the company 'legals' correctly.

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

So as long as you dont have kids or a second house, drink cider and not working in the public sector you should be alright.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Nice of her to lay into the new budget without any reference to the reason for it and the previous governments profligacy and complete lack of fiscal credibility. Interesting to see Alistair Darling sitting there with barely an emotion or response. Clearly he knew how badly the economy was shagged and that it would take a robust budget plan to address it.

firestarter
    Free Member

cant understand why they havent hammered fags and booze tbh

BermBandit
    Free Member

Anyone else hear him mention the lack of investment in the early 90's right near the start as a contributary factor? I had to pinch myself, and by the time I had checked that I was actually not dreaming the moment had gone.

jonjones13
    Free Member

Us civil servants paying for the mistakes of the bankers and the last government – f'kin great…

firestarter
    Free Member

and why isnt international aid being cut . surely look after yourself then others

kimbers

i think the cut in benefits and rise in vat will be hitting a lot of lower income families very hard, booze and fags would just be hitting them harder

and i didnt realise that 1.7 million public sector workers already earnt less than 21k a year

tails
    Free Member

cant understand why they havent hammered fags and booze tbh

WHAT! have you been to a pub recently most pints even cooking lager like fosters is £3 odd, and cigarettes/tobacco are very expensive you can't keep targeting tobacco users whether you are one or not.

hora
    Free Member

Us civil servants paying for the mistakes of the bankers and the last government – f'kin great…

The MP's wont be suffering will they. Even those three under criminal investigation are receiving Legal Aid FFS.

jonjones13
    Free Member

I don't care what you hear about heads of councils earning shiploads, yes, there are those but they are very much the exception. I work for the Met Office, have been at my job for 8-years, have a PhD and earn less than £30K – i.e. most civil servants earn relatively crap wages

Booze and fags – yes, this will hit the lower end hardest, but then again, how much does it cost the economy in health-related ilnesses.

Also, anything which involves ££ hits the poorest hardest as they've got the least disposable income

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i get the feeling the defecit is a convenient excuse for the Tories to bring in lots of cuts to the civil service that they'd have wanted to do anyway.

cranberry
    Free Member

jonjones13 – did you vote for the last government?

If you did, then you can't sit down, enjoy the meal and complain when the bill gets presented to you.

firestarter
    Free Member

tails yes i was in on friday got wrecked and smoked too 😉 still cant understand it not going up tho. you dont have to drink and smoke its a choice

tails
    Free Member

and why isnt international aid being cut . surely look after yourself then others

thats what I always think but it must be more to do with business or you'd surly cut that.

Out of interest is the War, generating or costing money?

jonjones13
    Free Member

…the war in Iraq was costing about £1BN/year

Yeah, I did vote, Lib dem – stolen vote…. etc etc

gusamc
    Free Member

jonjones

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285

read thye last sentence in the first part please

jon1973
    Free Member

i think the cut in benefits and rise in vat will be hitting a lot of lower income families very hard, booze and fags would just be hitting them harder

Maybe families on very low incomes shouldn't be spending money on booze and fags?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

gusamac – that is not comparing like with like tho.

Public sector workers are less likely to be blue coller and more white coller

compare like with like and public sector get paid less.

Diploma and degree here ( paid for myself). 30 yrs experience. under £25 000 pa

kimbers

you are right jon of course but why take away one of the few pleasures they have?

monksie
    Free Member

Up until 2 years ago, I was a Civil Servant (5 years with DWP). I was at the top of my grade – Admin. Officer. My salary when I left was £16,000 per annum and absolutley no chance of promotion as all the jobs were locked in. I could go to the next level up as Team Leader -Executive Officer but I wouldn't have been paid more and it would only have been a temporary position anyway.
    The constant crap about Civil Servants having it easy does my head in. I'm much better off with the council :-}

oddjob
    Free Member

All looks fair enough to my given the circumstances. Having said that I don't live in the UK, but I do pay 25% VAT…

CaptJon
    Free Member

Presumably once the deficit is reduced and growth assured public sector workers (like me) will receive nice big pay increases to compensate for these pay cuts? Oh wait, the Tories are in power…

jon1973
    Free Member

you are right jon of course but why take away one of the few pleasures they have?

Smoking isn't really a pleasure is it? it's something you do becuase you (think) you're addicted – so no, I don't buy that at all.

Booze, maybe you have a point but again it's about priorities surely? and it's something you can do without. If you can't afford it, find some pleasures which don't cost you anything – there are plenty about.

bruneep

My response to Mr Osborne is:

I'll give a freeze in effort and interest at work over the next 2yrs.

Tiger6791

and if you work in the public sector they won't fire you 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Better a pay freeze than a job loss. I suspect any moaners will be noted down and slung out at the earliest opportunity.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

As it's the public sector not sure anyone will really notice or care. 😉

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Edinburgh City Council have a scheme where they rent houses and flats etc off private landlords and pay them approximately double the market value, so that they can house homeless people.

lodious
    Free Member

TJ, at what point during the 30 years doing what you do did you realise you were not meeting your salary expectations 😉

hora
    Free Member

So you'll double your capacity?

Junkyard
    Free Member

nice line Hora
    Link Obi _troll?

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Junkyard – no link – no troll either.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Obi_Twa – Member
    Edinburgh City Council have a scheme where they rent houses and flats etc off private landlords and pay them approximately double the market value, so that they can house homeless people.

Sounds like a good policy. Many landlords won't touch people on benefits, let alone the homeless.

willard

Just heard from a mate at work that our local council employees were so worried about the spending cuts in the public sector that a load of them have gone off sick with worry!

Oh, how we laughed.

It'll be interesting to see what tomorrow's papers say about the budget… I look forward to reading the Mail's "average family" comparison chart.

Edited to add that I was very surprised (not) to see Gordon absent from the Labour benches. My already low opinion of the man has sunk even lowerier.

firestarter
    Free Member

well personally it could have been much worse. as it is my work is on a 5 year pay freeze and a 5 year recruitment freeze to and our pensions are getting ruined anyway

mt
    Free Member

bruneep – Member
    "My response to Mr Osborne is:

I'll give a freeze in effort and interest at work over the next 2yrs."

You could try getting a job in the private sector, though perhaps your are in the right place with that attitude.
    Any chance we could swap pension provision?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Todays Budget’ is closed to new replies.