Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Today's Big Storm
  • SaxonRider

Not that I’m complaining, but it is a bit of a let-down here in South Wales.

After all the apocalyptic warnings in the news yesterday, including pictures of 1000000 foot waves hammering the Cornish coast, I thought the winds might at least exceed 20 mph.

In any case, I had a nice commute in, so long may the storms stay at bay.

sandwicheater

Maybe you’re in the eye of the storm? dum dum dummmmm

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Blue skies and sunny ‘ear on the sarf coast.

nickjb
    Free Member

What news? The BBC weatherman was playing it down yesterday

Coyote
    Free Member

Quite mild and sunny here in Bolton.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Blew through during the night.Swell was building through the day up here.Had a good sail earlier yesterday until it was blowing 40mph+ and then sat in the car and ate my sarnies.Warm too.

SaxonRider

Quite mild and sunny here in Bolton.

I can’t believe I just read that sentence.

jam-bo

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

blowing a hooly and been shitting it down since about 7am in devon.

chvck
    Free Member

It’s just miserable here in Mid Wales, not overly wet or especially windy. It’s just overcast and a bit rainy, the wind yesterday was pretty strong though. I attempted a mtb ride and couldnt keep the bike on the road when I got into the hills, I abandoned the ride before I even managed to get offroad.

Drac

There was supposed to be a storm? I’ve been in my nightshift bubble so no idea. It was blowing a hooly through the night last night, I even seen a wheelie blown over. We will rebuild.

ahwiles
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

What news? The BBC weatherman was playing it down yesterday

some people still think the daily express is a newspaper.

jimster01

Had a look the eyeball surfcam for Croyde earlier and the waves were certainly looking BIG!!!

slowbloke
    Free Member

It’s throwing it down here (Newton Abbot) at the moment to the point there is an awful lot of standing water and there is the odd strong gust but the met office appear to have downgraded the weather warning to 40-50 from 50-60 and the period is now much short.

Local coast webcam looks unpleasant but that’s about as far as it goes Teignmouth Webcam

SaxonRider

some people still think the daily express is a newspaper.

To my credit, I have never actually looked at the Express. In fact, all the red tops are blocked here at worked.

It was the metoffice I was referring to, where even late last night, they were saying we could anticipate gusts of up to 80 mph.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Had a look the eyeball surfcam for Croyde earlier and the waves were certainly looking BIG!!!

I had a peek at Saunton and there were three nutters trying to take board in the sea and failing miserably.

whitestone
    Free Member

@awhiles – those are obviously fake Express front pages – there’s no picture of Princess Diana for a start 😛

Riding home last night, all was fine until about 2Km from the house when it started to get windy. By the time I got home it was a gale and rattling the windows. Lasted most of the night but was little more than a breeze this morning.

Edit: Don’t the Express use some guy in a shed as their forecaster? Been shown to be completely random and wrong more times than correct.

molgrips
    Free Member

Breeze has picked up a bit now.

Maybe some more winter on the way though:

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

jam-bo

ensemble forecasting is based on probabilities of potential outcomes. looks like the low has tracked further south than predicted. it happens. the models aren’t perfect and its a complex system.

would you rather:

metoffice issued a warning that something might happen which then subsequently didn’t. eg storm-ish doris

metoffice didn’t issue a warning for something that then subsequently did. eg micheal fish in 1987

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It was a little windy and a little wet during my quick random ~45min dash around Harefield SO18 earlier, but at no point did I feel I was going to die, even on the false cat4 Strava segment up Minstead and Beauworth! 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been surfing this morning, we have waves, we have a bit of wind but it ain’t much, tomorrow the swell will be Big.

I am looking forward to this.

tjagain

Nice sunny afternoon in Edinburgh

PrinceJohn

Looking on magic seaweed the swell seems to be mostly in the bay of Biscay. This morning’s commute to work was pretty unpleasant, lots of heavy rain, spray and poor visibility, but people for once weren’t driving like idiots.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve been surfing this morning, we have waves, we have a bit of wind but it ain’t much, tomorrow the swell will be Big.

Where in the country (assuming you are UK) is that BB? I’m desperate to get in the sea.

Stoner
    Free Member

It was the metoffice I was referring to

you should stop reading their obits too 😉

Ewan
    Free Member

Personally I’m looking forward to the next one. The country will feel my wrath!

jam-bo

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

can see the eye of the storm now over the tip of cornwall. 50mph NW at culdrose, 32mph ESE at cardinham about 30 miles up the road.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Bit of swell at Birling Gap with a few going in for a desperation surf, hideous swirling winds and no mojo meant I cut short my road ride.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Today's Big Storm’ is closed to new replies.