Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • todays acquisition-lazer 2 dinghy!
  • duncancallum

Random message from a family member today resulted me now owning a laser.

It’s a form of Tourettes I can’t say no and I hoard stuff….

However this time I’m genuinely impressed it’s complete and working. One issue is I can’t sail. But I hope to get that sorted.

Can’t wait I’ll get some picks up soon.

bikebouy
    Free Member

A Laser 2?
    With a kite and trapeze?
    Wow.
    Thems old boats.
    Good for a blast thought.

Enjoy.

duncancallum

Yep. I grew up with a merlin rocket…. that’s old

joshvegas
    Free Member

We had a laser 2 mych lolz when i fell out with my dad and just stepped off the side 😀

Your crewman is going to get very very wet.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@duncan – yes as above laser 2 is quite different from a laser. I wouldn’t say its a beginners boat and really you need 2 people to sail it 😕 A free boat doesn’t cost zero to sail. If you’re keen to give it a go I would suggest you take a course first, you might then try and find a club and get a member to helm it whilst you crew. I suspect anyone who can sail won’t want to be crew for you if you are a beginner 😉 I wouod also check the boat is sea-worthy, no holes or leaks. Ask the original owner to take you out perhaps ? If the thing needs work I would just say you don’t want it

As an aside I last sailed a laser 2 in 1984 !

Have fun, there is little to beat a day on the water.

duncancallum

I’m joining bolton sailing club. I know it’s not quite a beginners boat so I’m going to get lessons.

I’m quite excited at about it

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thats great, good luck. I predict you will become skilled at righting a capsize, also advanced tactic of climbing over the gunwhale to avoid getting wet 😉

convert

Don’t understand – you say you grew up with a merlin rocket but you can’t sail. Can’t sail or very very rusty?

Laser II aren’t that bad to sail as long as you choose the right conditions (gently but consistent breeze) and someone competent to show you the ropes. Also get someone who knows how to depower the main whilst rigging and get it as flat as humanly possible, which might be bit of a challenge as it’s bound to be a baggy old thing by now.

duncancallum

I was about 5 or 6 when we got it and probably used it a hand full of times we used our speedboat more to waterski up untill I was 10 or 11

We got rid of both when my old man died.

So I can’t sail but as a small spog I spent a fair time around them.

I was crap at watersking too…

willjones
    Free Member

Good bit of Bethwaite design! Enjoy 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

I crewed in laser 2s plenty at school, though I can’t sail…

Let us know how you get on – I’d like tolerate to sail and Bolton’s suitably close.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah….Merlin Rockets! We used other host Rocket Week on the beach. Beautiful boats.

Other as beautiful as a Salcombe Yawl or a proper Laser, mind you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘todays acquisition-lazer 2 dinghy!’ is closed to new replies.