Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Today took a twist I wasnt expecting son referred fro brain and spine MRi
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

My 7 year old has been suffering with a bad back achy legs for a year or so (legs been painful lot longer) finally referred from GP for physio last August, physio then wanted him referred to spinal expert,

Long and short saw the consultant today (son had lots of tests done and xrays of spine etc)from what he can see there isn’t anything wrong with his spine, but cant work out why he cant stand still has no balance (we’ve been down the core stability route) lots of other issues, he wants him to have an urgent MRI scan brain and spine if its not spine related then its neurological related… feeling a little shell shocked to say the least, lots of factors as to why he has this could it be a fall he had in the Lake district a few years ago where he cracked his head open ? Doctor even mentioned mild Cerebral Palsy ?1!? we are very confused and can only wait for this shitty nightmare to be over…which hopefully we’ll have some answers in a few weeks…

and today I thought we’d get some positive news…

other than all of that he’s a normal little boy who’s average at school and can ride a bike and loves minecraft !

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Balance problems? Just a bit clumsy or proper vertigo type stuff?

Seeing as it’s taken a year to get to referring him for an MRI and nothing serious has happened in that time, try not to be overly worried 😉 I hope things work out for your boy!

Pigface
    Free Member

Fingers crossed it is nothing serious, good luck to the little man

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

😕

Stay strong. Its awful when kids (yours especially) are ill.

We too have issues here too – mrs_oab was taken straight into AAU/ITU with something they are yet to get the bottom of. Many pints of new blood and she perked up, but 12 hours at home and the effects have worn off…back in again tomorrow, maybe tonight if they can get a bed. 🙁

tonyd

Good luck OP (and Matt), hope it all works out well.

TPTcruiser

So nothing as simple as growing pains in overdrive?
    Hope the urgency gets things cleared up and diagnosed and that he has some fun while it happens.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

It’s the balance and wriggling he’s concerned about. He can’t stand on one leg without falling flat on his face.

If he sits down for to long his legs start to ache and this causes wriggling which at home is fine but at school looks like he’s mucking about. (School know )

*he hasn’t waited a year for a scan this only came to light today if we’d known all this last year we may be on the road to knowing what’s causing all this.

kimbers

at least he can ride a bike!

fingers crossed for all of you

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

Stay strong. Its awful when kids (yours especially) are ill.
    We too have issues here too – mrs_oab was taken straight into AAU/ITU with something they are yet to get the bottom of. Many pints of new blood and she perked up, but 12 hours at home and the effects have worn off…back in again tomorrow, maybe tonight if they can get a bed.
    POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Hope all gets sorted…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds like a great kid, really hoping things work out well. Fingers crossed here too.

climbingkev
    Free Member

All the best mate, hope things turn out OK.

midlifecrashes

Good luck to you both. Fingers crossed.

julians
    Free Member

If he sits down for to long his legs start to ache and this causes wriggling which at home is fine but at school looks like he’s mucking about. (School know )

My wife gets something similar sounding to this, she calls it restless legs, and has had it for as long as she can remember. It very annoying if you’re sat down trying to watch TV with her.

ourmaninthenorth

Good luck all – hope people start getting some useful information soon.

gordimhor

Good luck to you op, and to you Matt.

luke
    Free Member

We’ve recently (just before crimbo) been in a similar situation with the lad having a few issues and then having mri and ct scans of his brain, all very upsetting, especially as it’s the wife’s field of work, she was thinking the worst as were the consultants, thankfully the mri was clear, and the issues something fairly minor in the grand scheme of things at the moment.

My advice, keep off google it will only generate worst case scenario’s have a notebook and pen with you at all times so you can jot questions down when you think of them. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tough times indeed @unfit. Try and stay positive and remember you can share here, we are thinking of your lad.

crankboy
    Free Member

I hope all goes well and echo stay off Google.

ourmaninthenorth

My advice, keep off google it will only generate worst case scenario’s have a notebook and pen with you at all times so you can jot questions down when you think of them. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

Only you know if you need to google stuff or not (I need to in these situations).

The notebook point is a really good one. First thing is think through and write down all the questions you have today. And then keep adding to them as they arise. Then, when you’re with the consultant, refer back to them.

These days, I print off my questions and even if the conversation has already covered them, I make a point of going back through them before I leave to make sure I have understood what I’ve been told.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Good luck to all, worrying times. Hope you get the best possible outcomes.

These days, I print off my questions and even if the conversation has already covered them, I make a point of going back through them before I leave to make sure I have understood what I’ve been told.

Wise words. Inside Health program on Radio 4 recently mentioned that people only remembered about a third of what was said during a consultation.

tang
    Free Member

All the best guys. I’ve spent many a week with both kids and wife in hospitals with all sorts of implications. Great they have you looking out for them.

ourmaninthenorth

Wise words. Inside Health program on Radio 4 recently mentioned that people only remembered about a third of what was said during a consultation.

Agree. It may be sensible to have someone else with you taking notes (I’ve been the note-taker before).

Also, medics tend to (I assume through training as well as culture) try to ensure that the core of their message gets through without overcomplicating. I tend to find that leaves more questions than answers (hence using google), so I ensure that there’s a more nuanced conversation – generally by asking open questions (how does that work? what does that mean? what’s the difference between this and what the last person said?) rather than anything which elicits a yes/no answer.

DezB
    Free Member

Best of luck to unfitgeezerjr.

cchris2lou

all the best .

summitchilterns
    Free Member

Good luck OP and to Matt too….

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve been in a similar situation of waiting for a diagnosis relating to someone I love and the best advice I can give you is DO NOT try and fill in the blanks. The tests are just that, tests. Wait until you have test results and a confirmed diagnosis before you start planning what might be.

Best of luck with the results.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Thanks everyone woke up this morning and feel pretty miserable about it all, I know staying positive is a must its hard to stick your feelings in a drawer (I’m all to good at doing that) the overtones of negativity keep escaping out…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I know staying positive is a must its hard to stick your feelings in a drawer (I’m all to good at doing that) the overtones of negativity keep escaping out…

Given what you’re dealing with I’d say feeling shit is perfectly normal, don’t beat yourself up about it.

Dont confuse being positive with a stiff upper lip mentality. Your boys undergoing tests, nothing more but even so it’s natural to contemplate on all the possible outcomes and what they might mean for you all in the future. In many ways these are the hardest times because you know next to nothing but assume everything so being upset, frightened, confused and otherwise generally a bit morose are all perfectly normal reactions.

For me, I can just about manage to hold it together so long as I mentally distance myself from our situation but the last thing I want to be is distant so I’d rather be upset, get it over with and then focus on what we do next to improve the situation by even a little bit. My emotional reaction came as a surprise to me but it is my honest unrepressed reaction.

You may be different and cope in a completely different way and I’m sure you’ll want to try and keep any anxiety hidden from your lad but that appropriate and well intentioned deceit aside you do need to be honest with your emotions and do whatever you need to in order to work through them. It might be talking to your wife, a mate or stw randoms, could be a workout, a run, beating the bejesus out of a punchbag, playing with your lad, going for a walk. Whatever it is that works for you, you need to do a little of it in order to be in good shape to help out everyone else.

lesgrandepotato

Best of luck to mister unfit. Remember right now unfit jnr will probably just need some qdt ( quality dad time ) enjoy it and enjoy his smile. I suspect he’s much less wurrited. Enjoy the moment with him.

alisonsmiles
    Free Member

If you are one of those (us) who googles everything obsessively when you have even the merest hint of a suspicion then a positive slant on what you’re looking at as a worst case scenario might be to google David Stone, Cyclist.

mogrim

All the best, and with a family member going through some serious medical shit at the moment I can only echo the note taking thing – you might think you’re paying attention and remember everything, but you won’t 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

All the best to you both – puts all my petty annoyances into proper context.

rmgdsc76
    Free Member

Mr Unfitgeezer, I feel your pain. My daughter was in special care for weeks when born with fits on day 2. Had all sorts of scans, blood tests, lumbar punctures etc. they found a bleed on the brain, which eventually drained, we were told all sorts of stories about what might happen and what her outcome might be. She’s nearly eight now and absolutely fine and unique. I’m sure everything will work out ok, just learn to ride the ups and downs. All the best for your Little Man..

funkrodent

Good luck mate (and to Matt), fingers crossed but I’m sure it’ll be fine

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Today took a twist I wasnt expecting son referred fro brain and spine MRi’ is closed to new replies.