Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Today – the good and the very bad!
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Good – Spent the day riding at CyB, great weather and didn’t see one other person out on the trails.

Bad – driving home, drove over a brick on the motorway. Immediately blew both nearside tyres completely. Car doesn’t have a spare, just a compressor and filler. Which was irrelevant as two wheels had gone, but even if it had been just one, the holes in the tyres were that big it would have done nothing. So I obviously call green flag who tell me I don’t have the level of cover I thought I did and so I would have to pay for every mile over the first 10.

Biking is getting bloody expensive!!!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Must have been difficult to dodge a brick…

loddrik
    Free Member

Not in heavy congestion where you can’t see infront of the car a few feet ahead.

Olly
    Free Member

reminds me of a joke

Loddrik driving down the motorway from CyB

Boom Boom. 😉

coil on mine went snappy while the car was sitting outside the house for no apparent reason and ripped through the tyre.

2 new tyres
    2 new coils
    a shed load of new suspension fittings as apparently they were rusted to rusty
    and a big wodge of labour, as apparently they had to do it in the carpark, as they couldn’t get it into the workshop.

430 quid poorer.

Boooo

tazzymtb

Olly that reminds me of joke….

what do you call a a monkey in a mine field

a Baboom 😀

john_drummer
    Free Member

Not in heavy congestion where you can’t see infront of the car a few feet ahead

what kind of speed were you doing with the car in front only a few feet ahead?

andyl
    Free Member

swerving is kind of difficult with cars either side – give him a break!

Did you report it to the police/highways agency as they should have sent someone out to remove it so no one else did and they they could check CCTV footage for anything that could have dropped it or if it was thrown from a bridge. Quite a serious matter either way.

Remember a carpet falling off a lorry a few cars in front once. Pissing down with rain and luckily I had time to check the middle lane was clear and swerve. The Volvo 4×4 in front went right and ended up along the central barrier (no idea if it scraped) and the car behind went into it.

bassspine
    Free Member

Jaysus, wonder how many other tyres that took out this evening. Nasty

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It was a brick so theres not really and need to swerve, minor deviation within the lane would be enough to miss a brick. Taking out both tyres suggests no braking was done either. My money is on way too close to the car in front.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Ahhh, STW where everyday is Judgment Day!

Stoner
    Free Member

coming back from CYB or some such once with a mate I spied a dodgy geezer on the overpass above the motorway a few hundred yards ahead. Sure enough he reached into his coat and pulled out a brick throwing it down towards us. I managed to gently veer to the right but remained in lane as the brick was heading down the nearside of the van. Later had to assure mate in passenger seat that I moved right because the brick was going to the left, not because I was happier for it to hit him rather than me 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Well it actually makes more sense for him to get hit as you are driving. If he was a real mate he would understand that.

or on the other hand if you were a real mate you would want to die with him.

or am I getting mates confused with something else? hmm 😀

convert

Some people are such dicks – not there, not have an effing clue about the exact circumstances but feel the need/desire to pass damning judgment. Those with something the rest of us like to call “social awareness” understand the correct response to such a post is “bummer”.

Bummer.

toys19
    Free Member

convert – Member

Some people are such dicks – not there, not have an effing clue about the exact circumstances but feel the need/desire to pass damning judgment. Those with something the rest of us like to call “social awareness” understand the correct response to such a post is “bummer”.

Bummer.

Convert plus ONE

Bummer

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“STW where everyday is Judgment Day!”

Lol a lot!

loddrik
    Free Member

Let’s be honest, I am usually happy to dish it out so it’s quite right that I am on the receiving end now and again.

And no, I wasn’t too close, the light was pretty poor and there was obviously no chance to avoid, otherwise I’d have driven all the way home.

To do two tyres in one go though, just plain unfair..

molgrips
    Free Member

What car was it to not have a spare, out of interest?

gonefishin
    Free Member

What car was it to not have a spare, out of interest?

Lots of cars don’t have spares these days. My Focus doesn’t but comes with a compressor and bottle of sealant. It’s a way of saving weight and thereby improving the mpg of the car as well as giving a bigger boot.

BigJohn

I had a coil snap coming down the M6 a few weeks ago. Within seconds the sharp end had neatly cut the front sidewall in two, which made for an interesting slither between the 2 lines of traffic on either side and on to the hard shoulder.

I’m certain that a lifetime riding down gravelly twisty trails on Cannock Chase gave me the experience to make the manoeuvre without spilling any of the baccy from the roll-up I was making with my right hand. Although I did mis-spell a word in the text I was writing.

rOcKeTdOg

i drove over an 8ft long piece of 3 by 2 on the M8 once, it was completely across the middle lane and traffic on both sides, what ya gonna do?

as said before

Bummer

BigJohn

It’s usually more dangerous to swerve than it is to hit what’s in front of you.

DezB
    Free Member

..said the old lady that killed my dog 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Some of us are very aware of the social rules that some people think we are supposed to follow, but chose to ignore them as they feel they make people ignorant.

takisawa2

I did two tyres once, driving over an exhaust back-box. Luckily near home, so a mate with the same car came & lent me his spare.
    All the same, could have been worse for you so think lucky.
    Tyre blew out on our old car & the car eventually finished up on its roof. Frightening. A few days later, on the school run, the youngest asked if we could “do that upside down thing again”…!!!

Lots of cars don’t have spares these days. My Focus doesn’t but comes with a compressor and bottle of sealant. It’s a way of saving weight and thereby improving the mpg of the car as well as giving a bigger boot.

Thats quite shocking really. Isnt it illegal to drive on a French motorway with no spare ?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Today – the good and the very bad!’ is closed to new replies.