Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Today is the first day of the rest of my life.
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

There's always risks, in everything, hell someone could involve you in a nasty road accident on the way to a job you hate. Money isn't the be all and end all of life and I've got my friends and family behind me on this. Hard work and dedication always pay off in the end. 🙂

ex-pat
    Free Member

God I feel like the devil, I'm an IT PM and love it.
    What's more, I can't recall the last time I 'filled in a spreadsheet'. I recall drinking from 12pm last Friday courtesy of the company, in fact every Friday is beer o'clock – a great team spirit.
    Most jobs are what you make of it, and all that Prince II nonsense is just that, better to manage a project (or the six I've got at the moment) to success using one's skills with people, both to get things done and to protect your team from the ever advancing scope of management.
    When the projects are going well I really don't have to work too hard – so a little skill and it's a great job.
    Might add that I'm in Australia working for one of the larger companies out here.

Worse, if it's possible, I use gears on my bike, eat at MacDonalds (occasionally) and I also didn't like the troll house thing that was posted here the other day…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Not so much of a risk if you have loadsa money behind you (Sorry the way you descibed it earlier made me think of that saying).

If you have the money behind you then it is insane to stay in a job you are not motivated in and dont need to be doing. If you havent, well thats a different matter

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ourmaninthenorth

There's always risks, in everything

This is true. The key is balancing the risks. So, I appluad you for pushing yourself out of one area into another, more risky, one.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I don't have a trust fund or vast sums of cash squirreled away, I'm careful with money and don't really have a great deal of expenses to worry about, its not like I'm sat on a mattress stuffed full of cash but as WCA would say "what's the worst that could happen". Nothing ventured nothing gained, I don't need the security blanket afforded by a tedious desk jockey position, same thing every day, day in, day out.

I spoke with my old man about this and he said "Life's too short to be stuck in a job you don't enjoy, good on ya boy, best of luck", and thats all I need 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

spoke with my old man about this and he said "Life's too short to be stuck in a job you don't enjoy, good on ya boy, best of luck", and thats all I need

Sensible sounding man, your father.

When I decided to change jobs recently (to a larger employer, which is due to be be fully listed on the LSE shortly), my father thought I was making a dangerous move to an unknown organisation away from a well known one.

This is why one must choose one's counsel carefully – I'd never listen to my father when it comes to career advice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice one. A chef is one of the few things I could never be tho.

clareymorris

Well done MrNutt but have you seen the talent in a proper IT dep't – how on earth did you get seduced?

OI!!!!!!!!! 😉

mtbfix

Good luck to the career hoppers here.

Friday is the first day of the rest of my life as I leave the bike trade to stay home and care for baby mtbfixlette.

DaRC_L

yep fairplay MrNutt money is seductive ;-)and good luck…
    I like cooking but if I became a chef I think i'd hate it pretty quick so I'll stick with being an IT gnu for another couple of years
    (the kids keep telling me I should become one but at best I'm just a cook)

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I recall drinking from 12pm last Friday courtesy of the company, in fact every Friday is beer o'clock – a great team spirit.

Yuck.

Good on you, though. Someone has to do it I suppose.

rOcKeTdOg

nice one mr Nutt

plus side=you have one life and you are now living it

minus side= i am now starving

i wish you all the best

DT78
    Free Member

Well done, wish I had the balls to career change, maybe in a few years when the mortgage isn't so scary

Can't say I agree with the comments about pm'ing – I would say if you find you time filling out spreadsheets then you should find someone to do it for you (pma/pmo) and focus your time on the important stuff. Surrounding yourself with good people, keeping them happy and keeping them focused is what it's all about.

singletrackmind

Congrat's to you Mr Nutt. Brave to move from a better paid 9 – 5 job to a harder working , less sociable hours one. I wish you the best of luck and hope it works out for the best.
    Now, Those pubs look like they could all serve guest beer. Put in a good word for us, we can do a deal if you could twist their arms to take 6 casks ( 2 for each pub ) on the same day.
    Cheers Rob

MrNutt
    Free Member

That I will Rob, I can definitely vouch for the drinkability of your wares! 😀

ex-pat
    Free Member

@ dorset_knob. If it had been some marketing thing, yes, yuck. But it's with the development & support teams, and they're much more down to earth. I'm not a big drinker, but this was a special occasion (someone leaving) and they're a good crowd.
    None of the marketing nonsense for me!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Today is the first day of the rest of my life.’ is closed to new replies.