Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Today is the first day of the rest of my life.
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

goodbye to my 3 years in Project Management, sod that for a career! I'm sick of pushing paper just to make rich folk richer and watch my life slowly ebb away into their bank accounts, today I have made the change.

I'm going back to doing the work that I love, cooking great food.

Big thanks to my good friends for supporting me and giving me the opportunity to work along side some of the best chefs in the country, I'm really excited about this, this is going to be fantastic!

onwards and upwards!! 🙂

flip
    Free Member

Well done and good luck 😛

sv

All the best and enjoy!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Good luck fella, brave move, I hope it works out for you…….now I'll have a Big Mac, Fries with a banana milkshake please 😛

rootes1

yep, project management sucks…

now back to to the pointless review of large scale biomass CHP..

Lifer
    Free Member

Lolz @ Biscuits

Where are you cooking/what sort of food?

big_scot_nanny

fantastic, love it when you read people taking back the power in their lifes. Let me know where I can come for some nosh!

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Go for it MrNutt – Where are you working?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Well done.

Project Managers always strike me as people who want the word 'manager' in their job title but who can't actually do anything (besides fill in lots and lots and lots of spreadsheets – the more, the better).

MrNutt
    Free Member

my friends places are:

Home

http://triplecrownmarden.com/

http://www.thesevenstars.co.uk/

I can throughly recommend eating in any of them, good atmosphere and the food is fantastic. (I wouldn't take credit for the food, that belongs to Guy & Britt, Josh and Michael respectively)

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Friday is the first day of the rest of my life…I can't wait, this has been the longest month ever!

fadda

Good on yer – about to get out of the same thing myself!

MrNutt
    Free Member

originally I wanted to be a Graphic Designer, did that for a while, then got seduced by IT, then was tormented in advertising & business development then fell into project management. but all the while I've kept my hand in the kitchen, in fact my first proper job was actually cooking. I have a huge love of good food, always have had and I'm passionate about cooking; its creative, exciting, dangerous, intriguing, fascinating and most of all, great fun.

I was using a photocopier on Friday, my 36th birthday, just thinking about recipes as it duplicated a load of tedious information and I just thought: "Fuxk this for a lark, life is too short to be photocopying shit."

Resigned this morning by email, Spoke to my folks who were all delighted & supportive, I'm very happy, its gonna be a lot of hard work but also a lot of fun.

judderman
    Free Member

wow ur not that far from me (somerset) do all those places tolerate mountain bikers?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Forgot to put in my post good on you Mr Nutt for following your dreams.

stumpy01

Nice one….! Good luck.

One day I hope I will do something similar!

I'm with dorset_knob re, project management; it just seems to be hassling people & printing out MS Project.

gog
    Free Member

Go for it and all the luck in the world, as said before it's great to hear of folk chasing their dreams.

MrNutt
    Free Member

As long as you don't turn up caked in shit they'd all be cool, I would recommend booking at all of them though! Oh and with summer coming up and all of the places being very much in the countryside, camping and the odd organized ride could well be on the cards! 🙂

rootes1

I'm with dorset_knob re, project management; it just seems to be hassling people & printing out MS Project.

Note quite – we have a team of PM's at our company – a good one can be a real plus on a large scale project – a crap one can be a nightmare…

not sure anyone decides to be a PM and people have to earn a crust

byut top marks to Mr Nutt for making a brave move – hope it works out well

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

"I'm going to give it everything I've got – it could change my life"

COOKING DOESN'T GET TOUGHER THAN THIS

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

not sure anyone decides to be a PM and people have to earn a crust

Yep. that's a fair comment. I'm probably just remembering the bad ones.

Fair play to you Mr Nutt – cheffing always strikes me as damn hard work. Not for me, but I do love food so glad there are people like you around!

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh its damn hard work, but its very rewarding and it can be a bloody good laugh! bit like mountain biking really!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

D'you have a recipe for Groundhog? 😉

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Only about 15/ 20 minutes from me and we have friends who live in Pewsey so on your recommendation i'll be visiting them soon. Always looking for good foodie pubs in the area. 😀
    Good luck.

tails
    Free Member

Very inspirational wish I had the balls to pack in my current job and get back into my passion.

What did your ex boss say to your emailed resignation?

Good to hear on this grey Monday morning.

MrNutt
    Free Member

he didn't have a lot to say, not alot he could say, I wouldn't have stayed even if they'd offered me double my wage!

Karinofnine

Good for you, and very good luck.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

So have you got a permanent post to be going to then? One of your friends places?

Good luck

ourmaninthenorth

"I'm going to give it everything I've got – it could change my life"

COOKING DOESN'T GET TOUGHER THAN THIS

He's going HOME..!

MrNutt
    Free Member

Permanence is a myth, there's no such thing! Eventually I'd like to have a place of my own doing good food with the best ingredients at sensible prices, so this is more than "a permanent job" this is a career, this in my future and this the path my life will follow for the duration 🙂

one day I *will* have my own place and I know that when that happens I'll catch myself, probably whilst chopping parsley or peeling potatoes, I'll look around and have a quiet smile to myself.

Thats why I'm doing it, because today and tomorrow is always happening in the kitchen.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Good luck! I start my new job next week too!

Kevevs
    Free Member

Good luck to ya mate, takes a bit of balls that.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member
    my friends places are:

Home

http://triplecrownmarden.com/

http://www.thesevenstars.co.uk/

I can throughly recommend eating in any of them, good atmosphere and the food is fantastic. (I wouldn't take credit for the food, that belongs to Guy & Britt, Josh and Michael respectively)

So whose name do we drop to get a discount??

mogrim

I find if you don't hassle people they never get what needs done, when it needs to be done.

I think I'd rather be a chef, too. Congrats on the change!

DaRC_L

Well done MrNutt but have you seen the talent in a proper IT dep't – how on earth did you get seduced? 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

money, it was pre millennium bug and I made a disgusting amount of money selling 3Com, then Cisco then HP (I used to be at the top of the game because I didn't try to sell the CTO's & IT Directors anything, just focused on getting them what they needed at the best price with full tier 1 vendor support sold along side) 😀 But by christ was that time consuming and tedious too! I still remember countless 3Com, Cisco & HP/Compaq product codes! I want that bit of my brain back!!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did the same thing myself around eight or nine years ago. You won't regret it (though the hard part's just starting).

Talkemada
    Free Member

I didn't try to sell the CTO's & IT Directors anything, just focused on getting them what they needed at the best price with full tier 1 vendor support sold along side)

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds bloody boring.

Well done for having the balls to make the change. A brave move, I'd imagine, right now.

When's your burger van going to be up and running then? 😉

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member
    Permanence is a myth, there's no such thing! Eventually I'd like to have a place of my own doing good food with the best ingredients at sensible prices, so this is more than "a permanent job" this is a career, this in my future and this the path my life will follow for the duration

one day I *will* have my own place and I know that when that happens I'll catch myself, probably whilst chopping parsley or peeling potatoes, I'll look around and have a quiet smile to myself.

Thats why I'm doing it, because today and tomorrow is always happening in the kitchen.

WTF is that all about?

Judging by your "made loads of money in the past" comment which followed i would presume you are stable enough to make the choice regardless. If so then hats off to you, smart choice. Your a lucky man to be in that position.

ART

Well done that man .. cheered me up on a Monday morning. Those pubs not far from us either, will check them out. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Today is the first day of the rest of my life.’ is closed to new replies.