• This topic has 94 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Today I saw a 4K screen TV in John Lewis.
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Would anyone want to watch a screen as close as suggested in the diagram above? I think I sit around 10 feet from my 50″er and switch between normal BBC and the HD version (Virgin) and can see they’re slightly different but makes no difference to my viewing pleasure.

headfirst
    Free Member

Meh, I can’t see the big deal. I’ve gone on the John Lewis link and the picture quality on the TV on that page looks no better than the rest of the webpage. I get a much better picture on my actual TV, and my actual TV is about 10 times bigger screen size than that John Lewis one, my hand nearly covers the whole thing for god’s sake!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hard to say – glasses aren’t an exact thing – they don’t restore perfect vision. Sometimes the optician has to compromise on distance vs close-up, sometimes there are just limits on what can be done. And frequently people’s eyes change so glasses that were great 3 years ago are now not that great. Lots of factors.

But then again, people who don’t wear glasses possibly don’t have perfect eyesight either.

And some people just don’t notice shit, like my mum.

M6TTF
    Free Member

by the time 4k broadcasts are numerous the technology will be cheap, and the next greatest thing will be out. Currently (well, the last time i looked into it) Netflix have 1 ‘box set’ in 4k to watch and no one else is broadcasting in 4k. waste of your money atm

nano
    Free Member

Bit late to the thread, but just purchased a 4K TV.

Dunno about the science but the picture is much better than the existing HD that I was getting on the old TV (HD ready). I don’t think anything is as sharp as the demo’s they run in the store, but for what I paid i’m pretty pleased with it.

Using cheapo £5 HDMI 1.4 spec cable and a Sky HD box

stoffel
    Free Member

Using cheapo £5 HDMI 1.4 spec cable

Ha ha! HDMI cables… 😆

nano
    Free Member

@stoffel

Exactly.. glad I read that article!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’m not sure you quite understand the concepts here. Upscaling makes fewer pixels into more pixels by spreading out the existing detail over more pixels

That is too simplistic – upscaling does more than that – de-interlacing, interpolation of likely extra deatil, edge enhancement, deinterlacing, anti-aliasing, etc.

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/everything-you-need-to-know-about-upscaling-484345#null

oldboy
    Free Member

For those who can’t see the point in any of this, ITV switched the TdF from HD to SD today at around 3:45 p.m. and for me at least, watching on a big screen, it was as different as night and day.

CountZero

It’s a bit like some conspiracy theorists claim 650b to be. Sony are massively pushing 4k, both getting cameras into studio’s and TV’s into houses because they want people to upgrade their TV’s.

It seems that a lot of photographers shooting video for commercial use are shooting in 4k. I was down on the Somerset Levels earlier in the year, to see the starling murmerations, and there was a bloke with a very whizzy camera on a tripod. I went over to have a closer look, and it was a RED modular camera with a Canon DSLR lens on the front. He was shooting 4k for a documentary he was putting together about the starlings. Storage was a bunch of SDXC cards arranged in a RAID array, either 32 or 64Gb, I can’t remember for certain. He was from Devizes, and not from a particular station like the Beeb.
    The new Sony A4s DSLR mirrorless camera can shoot 4k up to ISO 406,900, but requires a separate recorder pack to do so, I think because of heat issues, the results in almost complete darkness are astonishing.

TiRed

We sit 12 feet from out 108″ projector screen. It’s the same solid angle as a decent seat at our cinema. I can certainly see the difference in source definition. But the projector is a vintage Sony with very low resolution. The brain removes the chickenwire. I’ll be in no hurry for 4K.

stoffel
    Free Member

We sit 12 feet from out 108″ projector screen.

Do you get neck strain frm moving your heads around so much?

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m currently about 70 cm from the 36″ TV I use as a computer monitor and the lettering is slightly jagged. It looks fine for most things put I do push the chair back to a metre for full-screen Youtubes, Fibre HD TV and DVDs.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve just seen a 50″ ish Samsung OLED TV on demo at Costco. Not sure what resolution, I assume 4k, but it was stunning and wafer thin. Unfortunately it was curved, but a stunning picture. It was £3500, which is very pricey, but a factor of 10 cheaper than a couple of years ago.

TiRed

Do you get neck strain frm moving your heads around so much?

Not at all, as I said…

It’s the same solid angle as a decent seat at our cinema.

In truth it might be nearer 15′ to the back of the sofa. Hold your hand at arms length, stick thumb up and pinkie down. That is the vertical screen height. Most TV’s have a miniscule solid angle. We also have a 42″ Plasma TV behind it for domestic duties and a 32″ in another room. There is no point feeding the 32″ and HD signal. Even the Pioneer struggles to show a difference at the viewing distance.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Today I saw a 4K screen TV in John Lewis.’ is closed to new replies.