Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Today, i fired a Glock and a 45 ACP
  • handyman
    Free Member

Went to range today and fired off a few rounds , 45 has a lighter trigger, Glock as a 9mm less kick bad, both were not as heavy as i expected, might go again, i live in USA and was in Pennsylviana where guns laws are less strict

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve fired a Glock 9mm, loved it! I was in Budapest, so also fired Mag 357+45, Walthar PPK, plus a shed load more – I honestly cant remember how many I shot! All great fun 🙂 Also did similar in Prague+Poland, but they werent as good. Off to Budapest again next month woot!

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve fired a Glock, but found I wasn’t very accurate with it – seemed to wander all over the target. The .45 was much more fun.

jamiep
    Free Member

Outside Brataslava, in some quarry (dodgy as, cant expect it was in any way licensed), Ive shot a Scorpion, Glock and AK47. Very exhilarating.

The AK47 can really get through the rounds, but they all had much, much less of a kick than I anticipated.

cb

ACR, AK47, Famas etc etc – I was on the PS3 at the time tho…

donsimon
    Free Member

I was in a gun shop a couple of weeks ago, I find them strange places as I do the fascination with guns, as a hobby. I fired on the ranges with the army 25+ years ago and not since. The only reason to fire a gun is to kill something or to prepare yourself for killing something. (PS not included).

GrahamS

the only reason to fire a gun is to kill something or to prepare yourself for killing something.

I used to do a bit of target shooting, but the idea of killing something didn’t really enter my mind.

Does the same rule apply for archery, javelin and darts? 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Does the same rule apply for archery, javelin and darts?

The Nuge is fine with the bow…

Spearfishing rocks!

Darts? Well no. Just no.

scaredypants

not since … then, dude

never again

you wouldn’t know

ask the government – I don’t even exist

donsimon
    Free Member

Does the same rule apply for archery, javelin and darts?

You’ve clearly never seen me play darts!
    And probably yes, it applies to archery and javelin as these sports have been developed from weapons of war. Shooting at targets doesn’t have a section for AK-47 or Glock, I don’t think. There is a deviation from destruction to sport. Does a competition weapon have the power to kill in the same way as an AK-47?

SaxonRider

@don simon

When you live in a place where wolves, bear, cougars, etc., can represent a real danger to livestock and people, it still pays to know how to shoot.

Just because we live in Europe where our ancestors already took care of the problem doesn’t mean we need to shelve such skills. The tragedy of human existence is that, however liberal and enlightened we like to think ourselves, we can still end up in conflict with nature as well as other people.

I want my kids to know how to use a bow and/or a rifle because I would like to think that they could return to where their parents came from and be able to undertake the sort of work necessary to get on.

Ultimately, I buy 99.99% of my vegetables from the market, but I still want my kids to know something about farming.

donsimon
    Free Member

@don simon

When you live in a place where wolves, bear, cougars, etc., can represent a real danger to livestock and people, it still pays to know how to shoot.
    Perfect, as I said a weapon is designed for killing and you agree with me. I trust you don’t use an AK-47 or Armalite for your forays into the woods. It’s the John Rambo wannabe that i don’t understand and who worry me slightly.
    I was brought up and currently live in the country so am well aware of the real threat that wolves, bears, pheasants, rabbits and yetis pose.

SaxonRider

For the record, I’ve never even held a gun other than a .177 air rifle when I was a kid.

But you don’t actually address what I’ve said other than to ridicule it – which isn’t an argument. I am suggesting that there are parts of the world where bears and other wild animals present a real threat to people and domestic animals. For you to add pheasants, etc., to the list is just snide.

But to emphasise my point, this is the area where I grew up:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20050827/bear_attack_050826/

And before you comment on the stat that ‘only 3 people have been killed by bears in Manitoba’s history’, you must consider that Manitoba is an extremely sparsely populated province, and that far, far more people have been mauled without being killed.

So, for example:

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2585606&archive=true

I think my position is entirely reasonable and not remotely John Rambo-ish.

GrahamS

before you comment on the stat that ‘only 3 people have been killed by bears in Manitoba’s history’, you must consider that Manitoba is an extremely sparsely populated province

How many bears have been killed by people in Manitoba’s history?

Or are you saying the bears are winning?

donsimon
    Free Member

For you to add pheasants, etc., to the list is just snide.

Adding pheasant wasn’t snide at all, adding yeti was! 😉
    Look at what I said originally. Guns are designed for killing and unless you are going to kill something I don’t understand the need.
    I don’t know why you are taking the aggressive defensive stance. I AGREE WITH YOU AND IF YOU USE A GUN FOR HUNTING OR PROTECTING YOUR FAMILY THERE ISN?T A PROBLEM. I HAVEN’T CALLED YOU, SAXONRIDER, A JOHN RAMBO.
    Do you wear you NCIS cap with the peak forward or backwards?
    I am more concerned about the use of, or the need to use, weapons of war.

SaxonRider

Now that I have actually re-read your post, I can’t understand why I took an agressive/defensive stance either. I can see that you haven’t really said anything against me at all. 😳

Having said that, I suppose I was just hoping for a good fight that I could get into from my desk on a Wednesday morning!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Having said that, I suppose I was just hoping for a good fight that I could get into from my desk on a Wednesday morning!

Perhaps you could have a duel.

konabunny
    Free Member

Or are you saying the bears are winning?

Laugh if you want but it’s the bears that are doing all the bank robberies.

beamers

When I was a lad growing up in N.Devon and out riding one day we came upon an old disused quarry, not large enough or suitable for MTB trails but perfect for the N.Devon Handgun club to have a range set up in.

2 guys were in there having a shoot. “Want to have a go lads?” they asked.

We had a go with their .357 Magnum, Colt .45, some form of .38 Special and a very cool .22 bolt action magazine fed rifle.

This of course took place prior to the current controls on privately owned handguns being imposed.

donsimon
    Free Member

No worries. You need to be here at the weekend if you want a fight, that’s when I get rid of the week’s stress. 😉

andy_hamgreen

surely the perfect combination ? – the mtb guys get fit dodging the bullets – the gun guys get to spice up their target practice… 🙂

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

My wife passed her concealed carry test on Saturday, so she’s packing a Smith&Wesson M&P .45… Nice gun! Haven’t had a play with it yet though. My father-in-law just acquired a Barrett M82 .50 cal rifle which I am super excited about! I like guns B)

PS. I live in Kansas. Here there are no restrictions as long as the rounds aren’t explosive…

Macgyver

Jesus, .50 cal!!! I hope he’s got a big yard so as not to annoy the neighbours as those rounds will go for miles! Although I’m not quite sure what you’d really use it for?

Still reckon the oddest place i had a go of a gun was in a hotel in China. Went for a look round, Gardens – check, games room – check, bar – check, gym – check, rifle range – errrr don’t remember being briefed on that one but give me fresh target and a new clip would you…….

handyman
    Free Member

I enjoy shooting at targets, it helps with relaxation and i have fished and eaten what i caught and if the the need arises i would hunt for food. and as oddball said in kellys heroes ” a sherman tank can give you a very nice edge”

coffeeking
    Free Member

I once fired a colt 45 with ball bearing type hand packed ammo. That had quite a kick. That was in the UK at a local range a few years back! Can’t imagine living in an insane country where everyone’s allowed to be armed, it’s just barmy.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Can’t imagine living in an insane country where everyone’s allowed to be armed, it’s just barmy

Like Switzerland?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Like Switzerland?

Yup. <as an side note the conditions in Swz are somewhat different to the US>

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Today, i fired a Glock and a 45 ACP’ is closed to new replies.