Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Today, i did a long (for me) ride.
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Took full advantage of the bone dry trails and linked together all the best bits of my local trails in & around Stroud.

Rode non stop, managed approx a bit over 55miles in 6hr45min.

My legs feel rather feeble now.

Endomondo clocked 3200ft of climbing at 5hr and then the phone died. It didn’t record a couple of loops I did in woodland, just shows a straight line. Is this normal? Would a Garmin do this? Would Strava pick up my route from their heatmap?

Be interesting to see what the legs have in them tomorrow.

I realise its all relative, but this was a biggie for me.

A fantastic day on local trails, I’ll be sleeping well tonight.

🙂

Basil

From busted collarboneland I applaud whilst being envious

Northwind

Sounds grand… I don’t do long rides either so I’m always a bit amazed when I do an event and ride for 7 hours and my legs don’t unscrew and fall off 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like a good day, was planning a big ride but woke up with cold so had a lazy day.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Internet dick measuring aside, that’s a decent amount of pedalling by anyone’s standards I think. Good work, I spent all day in the office staring at the woods my local trails hide in…

scandal42
    Free Member

No pitchurs 🙁

qwerty
    Free Member

Cheers, initial “challenge” was to ride for the duration that my son was at school (08:40-15:15), which i achieved, chuffed.

qwerty
    Free Member

No piccies I’m afraid, but I did see a dead mole (or bat), mother and baby combos of muntjac and partridge try to evade my by running down the trail, and I can confirm that all the Shires squirrells are currently very busy. Oh – and DUST!

bobmac892

Good effort, spanks the distance I could manage ATM.

igm

The one time I rode around that distance off road (60 miles as I recall) it took 10 hours, so a decent speed too in my book.

jools182
    Free Member

That’s a good distance

Certainly longer than I’ll ever manage

I bonked on the Jacobs ladder – Hayfield loop, and that’s a couple of years ago when I was fitter

tenfoot

What a great way to spend a day.

I dream of being able to spend 6 hours on a bike.

Nice one.

simonjj
    Free Member

Nice ride qwerty, being local (Brimscombe) be interesting to see how you linked trails

peteimpreza

Another local interested in your route.

Do you have a GPX or any record of it?

qwerty
    Free Member

No gpx, used Endomondo to track first 5hrs, but its not tracked some of the small wooded loops I did.

Roughly, started near Noah’s, road up Quarhouse and to Birdlip (9miles but it gets you out), Witcombe Wood, Buckholt Wood (looped round again after descent), more woodland riding (not sure which woods), cross A46 and up to Painswick Beacon, trails to Roccoco Gardens, road on lanes to Edge, Maitland’s Woods (looped to also descend), Standish Woods (exit at Ash Lane) straight over descend fields and road through Cashes Green, over to Sainsbury, up onto Selsey Common, over common and into Penn Woods, descent 1 to bottom and winch up to Cowley Peak, single track down beside road, descent 2 to bottom and winch out to scout camp, back to Sainsbury, road up to Prince Albert, up to Rodborough Fort, track round the back to descend to Bear Hill, enter woods that traverse around hill and then descend on road to cycle track, exit at Dunkirk Mill, up Cow Lane to enter back of Woodchester Mansion and fireroad to Coaley Peak, road to FGR, descend trail into Nailsworth, Tetbury Lane to Weighbridge pub, back into Nailsworth and cycle path and tow path back to Brimscombe. I think thats it. Phew.

No skimping on the fun singletrack, looped around again to get some good descents in.

My legs were complaining last night. Gonna loosen em off with a flat cycle into town today.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Well done chum….55 miles trail riding…that’s impressive ..can’t say how many I’ve done on the MTB as I don’t strava MTB rides
    Most on the road bike for me is 127miles (London 100 2013 plus ride home)

MrOvershoot

I started mountain biking in the Stroud area back in the late 80’s and 55 miles round that area is hard on the legs as the hills are steep and very little flat. Well done 🙂 (I’m also a bit jealous)

Out shortly for a SS ride with probably about 100 meters of climb in 2 hrs 🙄

tang
    Free Member

As a local who rides all those trails, thats a good day out! Plenty of nasty climbs that hurt, nice work Querts! I am jealous as I only get 2/3hrs max these days. Wish I still lived on Painswick Beacon where 2 hrs was into the woods straight out the door as we lived in the woods up a long track!

timba
    Free Member

A day on an MTB is a biggie in anyone’s book and I think harder than a day on a road bike

IME the straight lines are where the GPS has lost its signal, probably under the tree cover, so it joins the last known positions together

Would a Garmin do this? It’ll depend on the tree cover. The Garmin Etrex30 has good satellite reception and 25 hours battery life and it would preserve your phone battery to let a Garmin take the GPS strain and have your phone to make calls on

kerley
    Free Member

It didn’t record a couple of loops I did in woodland, just shows a straight line. Is this normal?

I get this sometimes and usually in the same spot (no tree cover any worse than anywhere so always a bit odd but must be something specific about the spot) Sometimes my phone just drops out all together, some time it drops out and I get a straight line.

Was also wondering if a Garmin would be better than phone but seems inconclusive so sticking with my phone as I only have to take one device then.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Today, i did a long (for me) ride.’ is closed to new replies.