Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Today I am happy
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Just found out that the 1800+ housing development that would have surrounded my house, ruined my countryside view and probably cost me £50k on my house value has been canned.

Currently 3/4 the way through a nice Shiraz to celebrate.

Just had to share 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

NIMBY!! Think of all the homeless people with nowhere to live.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

does that make you a Nimby ? or a Namby ?

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t care what it makes me – the fields around us are a site of special scientific interest and as recently as 3 years ago the council threw out development plans because they were unsuitable and would spoil the natural habitat but then suddenly had an about turn even though there are many more better suited sites in the immediate area. It was madcap at the time and it has taken a battle but they have now decided not to pursue the barmy plans.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

now that puts a slightly different emphasis on the picture, your OP did come across as a bit precious’– doubt anyone would want a development around there previous rural ‘idyll’- the money thing is weird in a way, subjectively driven– was not that long ago rural/out the way places were cheap because nobody much ‘desired’ them, no its reversed.

I am glad that your’e glad 😉

DezB
    Free Member

So those who shout NIMBY everytime something like this comes up – you’d be happy for a big development in your “back yard” then?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I suspect that in the near future the development will return to haunt you. They won’t be satisfied until every last green space is covered in shanty estates and airports, They seem to believe that such development will magically fix the foundered economy…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Similar proposition in Harrogate.. across from the Farms.. Lots of heartache and angst going on “ouup North” about that. Plans being accepted then rejected and dates brought forward/put back/thown out..

Current thinking is less development in a site the otherside of Tarn..

Who knows.

Shiraz, ponce. You need a good Single Malt.

johndoh
    Free Member

I suspect that in the near future the development will return to haunt you.

This is the plan for building from 2026> and we’ll be long gone before they can plan the next raft of development.

Bikebouy – that’s where I am – on Whinney Lane. Which bit are you talking about?

EDIT: Here’s the list for sites they are taking forward/ditching (as of the Council meeting last Wednesday evening)

http://www1.harrogate.gov.uk/localdemocracy/ViewSelectedDocument.asp?DocumentID=27737

rudebwoy
    Free Member

So those who shout NIMBY everytime something like this comes up – you’d be happy for a big development in your “back yard” then?

oh yeah, can’t get enough of them !

OTOH- what is your ‘solution’ to housing ?? It has to be built somewhere, and since its virtually all speculative building ,they want ‘nice’ places in order to sell.

i live on an estate, so my views don’t count.

wrecker
    Free Member

Urban regeneration & brown field only IMHO. Of course, developers only want to build nice smart new housing estates on green field as that’s where the money is, meanwhile the urban areas get more and more run down, empty/dozed buildings etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fine with it, see threads on excessive house prices and lack of housing. Something needs to change

johndoh
    Free Member

I am happy with housing being built, not happy with it being built in the easiest and cheapest place for the council and on the back of pressure from developers (ie, at the ‘Get Involved’ meetings with residents, developers were caught moving ‘blocks’ around the map after the preferred site had been agreed).

wrecker
    Free Member

House prices aren’t excessive (this is dictated by the market) and there are plenty of houses; they’re just owned by the wrong people. How many people are homeless because they couldn’t find any houses to buy?

franksinatra

the fields around us are a site of special scientific interest and as recently as 3 years ago the council threw out development plans because they were unsuitable and would spoil the natural habitat but then suddenly had an about turn even though there are many more better suited sites in the immediate area. It was madcap at the time and it has taken a battle but they have now decided not to pursue the barmy plans.

Just as well it wasn’t Trump behind the development then, there would be builders there already!

andrewhowell
    Free Member

Need a lot of money to own a house and I still waiting for my house.

jambalaya
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Urban regeneration & brown field only IMHO. Of course, developers only want to build nice smart new housing estates on green field as that’s where the money is, meanwhile the urban areas get more and more run down, empty/dozed buildings etc.

Agreed.

Developers are lazy, it’s easy money developing green field sites a large chunk of which they have bought at agricultural land prices in the hope of gaining planning permission. Urban regeneration takes more effort.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just as well it wasn’t Trump behind the development then, there would be builders there already!

They have been trying since the early 70s (lost count of the amount of times plans have been thrown out – which is why it seemed so odd they were suddenly approved) so if he was behind it, the house would already be behind 1,000,000s of developments…

birky
    Free Member

250 houses going in here 🙁 Google Streetview

mikewsmith
    Free Member

House prices aren’t excessive (this is dictated by the market) and there are plenty of houses; they’re just owned by the wrong people. How many people are homeless because they couldn’t find any houses to buy?

A housing market that is stagnant is a sign that houses are overpriced – the market is taking a while to adjust.
    Prices that mean that first time buyers can’t access the market stop people getting in which drives the rest of the moves.
    Houses are either in the wrong place or cost more than people can afford.
    The homeless line was a dramatic effect, however how many people are stuck living at home etc for much longer.
    I turned 18 in 1997 from that point for 10 years house prices rose faster than inflation, from that point if you weren’t in you were going to find it much hard to get in.

andrewhowell
    Free Member

True 🙁
    The house price rises multiple times in short period of time.

Coyote
    Free Member

NIMBY!! Think of all the homeless people with nowhere to live.

I know, it’s horrific. It’s not like there’s thousands of properties lying empty or anything is it…

Once green space is concreted over its lost forever. There’s plenty brownfield sites knocking around.

scuzz
    Free Member

Once green space is concreted over its lost forever

In the grand scheme of things, it’s not really, is it.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Quick now sell your house!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Today I am happy’ is closed to new replies.