Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Toasty base layers what's favourite?
  • fergal
    Free Member

Merino clearly doesn’t work, unless you are being carried in a sedan chair in sub zero temps :D.

tomd
    Free Member

Merino – the ideal base layer for the discerning ebiker?

slowster
    Free Member

Surely, if you wear mesh under it, it’s no longer a base layer…..

In my experience two thin close fitting baselayers is the way to go when it gets very cold.

Moreover, in my experience none of the modern, supposedly high wicking, synthetic baselayers offered by the likes of Helly Hansen, Craft, Castelli, Howies etc. are as good as the version of Helly Hansen Lifa sold 30 years ago. The older version of Lifa looked scruffy and was responsible for the ‘Smelly Helly’ nickname, but was very effective. The newer version might look better, but does not perform as well (in the same way that fleece supplanted fibre pile, despite fibre pile’s superior performance on every count except looks/fashion). I think the reason for the superior performance of old Lifa was its rib knit and the ‘bobbly’ surface of the fabric, which gave it its scruffy appearance but also helped the wicking and insulation performance, unlike the very smooth surface finish of modern Lifa tops and similar products from other manufacturers like Craft etc.

The combination of Brynje mesh with an outer baselayer (merino or whatever), is the only product I have found so far to compare with wearing two old Lifa baselayers.

tomd
    Free Member

The Odlo base layers are similar to the old helly hansen. Loose woven with heavy pile on the inside. They look terrible but are excellent. They do a version for “cold” and “very cold” and where they’re from I guess they should know the difference. Anyway, their very good and worth a look if you’re missing the old Hellys.

https://odlo.com/uk/en-gb/shirt-l-s-turtle-neck-1-2-zip-originals-warm-14.html

lunge

Nike Pro or an Old UnderArmour winter job. Neither were over expensive and have lasted years.
    I like merino for skiing but just don’t like it for anything involving sweating.

gowerboy

I switched to merino and loved it at first. But when I went back to synthetic one day I really noticed how much better it handled sweat and dampness.

I really like Paramo Grid base layers.

eulach

it’s too ” itchy” …maybe something to do with too much body hair..?

It’s not just me then.

dovebiker

X-Bionic, tested by me down to -27 in the arctic over 5 days. Expensive yes, but worth the expense where getting cold and damp is not a good idea – but you also need good mid and outer layers too.

bigdean

Hmm.. i find synthetic stuff just gets cold so is useless for anything over half an hour (i sweat alot). Merino does get very soaked but not cold like the nike base layers.

Trouble is my on one merino vests are getting tatty and cant find suitable replacement.

oldfart

Plenty of suggestions thanks folks , and for me personally Merino as quite a few have said makes me itch like buggery , gives me chills and gets holy in next to no time . Got a Mountain Warehouse shops nearby might check out that Talus but haven’t had a lot of luck with MW lately they seem more casual than serious ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Been a long term HH fan esp original LIFA. Never had the smelly jelly issue either despite being a sweaty b….

However recently bought a couple in white and the material is very different and IME not as good

I also have one of the dry tops. Awesome warmth but only for really cold ski days and other mountain trips. Collar a bit off.

For simple sports eg running tennis and cycling I have found under armour, Canterbury and nike pro all work well so I just look for the sales

grey

I use Keela ADS long sleeved top, they certainly wick the sweat away and I sweat a lot.
    I can finish a winter ride and my baselayer will be dry.

fergal
    Free Member

I’m actually wearing my Helly while typing this, they are that good, CBA to take it off after getting in, funnily enough the other half has left the room?

slowoldman

Toasty base layers you say? How about toast? Perfect for beans, eggs, etc.

perditus
    Free Member

Alpkit stuff is very good.

velocipede
    Free Member

Rivelo merino here – found on Sports Pursuit – really good for me and Im a sweaty bugger!

coatesy
    Free Member

Another recommendation for Mountain Warehouse Talus here, had HH Lifa, Patagonia Capilene, and Endura BaaBaa, but the Talus is alawys the one I choose.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ll tell you what I don’t understand. Most of these folks that say merino doesn’t work wear merino socks, or at least it would seem that way when people ask for sock advice. Now I don’t know about them but I find my feet are quite often very sweaty things but rarely cold in my merino socks. Must be witchcraft.

scotroutes

I don’t get sweaty feet. Not compared with my torso. (I do wear merino socks sometimes).

perditus
    Free Member

A good combo is a synthetic short sleeved top with merino arm warmers. Long 100k plus ride yesterday with Alpkit Koulin top (£14 in a sale and my On One merino arm warmers £3.00) under a windproof top (Alpkit Arro £32.00) with a merino buff and all good.

oikeith

I quite like the ones from sports direct which are 2 for £7, they feel warmer and nicer than my cold weather canterbury one and have a slightly more relaxed fit too which is easier to get into and out of!

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Toasty base layers what's favourite?’ is closed to new replies.