Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Toastertrackworld
  • Cougar

There’s been a death in the family. I’m sad to report that my toaster has given up the ghost after years of loyal service.

The embuggerance of it is, it’s probably something simple like an internal fuse (how complicated can a toaster be?) but it’s held together with these stupid recessed triangular-headed screws which, despite having a reasonable selection of security bits, I can’t open. And tempting though it is, I’m loathe to spend the price of a toaster on drivers just to open the sod.

So, I need a new one. Looking for a four-slice toaster (cos I’m a greedy bastard) that actually toasts evenly without having to turn the bread round halfway through, something that seems a tall order in the toaster world. Ideally I’d like separate controls for each pair of slots (the old one had one plunger which dropped all four, not very green). I want a slot length that is actually bigger than your average toastie loaf slice, which again seems to be an unnecessarily unusual ask, and I don’t want to pay the price of a big screen telly for something which just warms bread.

Any suggestions, before I go and get the nearest Tesco special and spend the next ten years being angry at it for being rubbish?

Ta.

benji
    Free Member

Dualit, yes they are expensive but you can buy all the spares and stop filling landfill with failed inferior goods.

Cougar

I hear you, but I’m not paying £200 for a toaster which doesn’t even pop up the toast.

(Moreover, I haven’t got £200, and if I had I’d rather have an Xbox One and cold bread.)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Only does two slices but my Bosch one is fantastic. No bread turning, even toasting and most importantly, looks cool. So cool I had to buy the matching kettle. Think they were about £100 for them both.

Esme
    Free Member

“the next ten years” 😯
    How long do you think cheap modern toasters last?

Esme
    Free Member

Err, why didn’t you receive 6 toasters as wedding presents?

Cougar

Hah.

Just blew all our John Lewis vouchers on a new fridge, unfortunately.

(Didn’t ask for a toaster as I already had a working one up until last week.)

andyr
    Free Member

“the next ten years”
    How long do you think cheap modern toasters last?

That’s about how long my last one lasted.

I replaced it with the latest model.

Tefal Avanti Classic 4 slice. Ticks all your requirements.

simon_g

Highest Which? rated one with 4 slots is the £35 Breville Aurora VTT475.

Cougar

Tefal Avanti Classic 4 slice.

We have that one at work.

It’s broken.

Cougar

Highest Which? rated one with 4 slots is the £35 Breville Aurora VTT475.

Looks nice, but very mixed reviews on Amazon.

Minefield, this.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Dualit, yes they are expensive but you can buy all the spares and stop filling landfill with failed inferior goods.

They are expensive, they look great, they last forever, they don’t actually do a very good job of toasting bread.

Cougar

I think I’ve answered my own question. Just trawling Amazon reviews, found this…

… which I think is the same one on offer in Tesco currently.

tthew

I bought a Morphy Richards one when the previous hateful piece of crap died. Has massive slots, possibly verging on too big as sometimes the high lift function doesn’t raise the toast high enough to prevent slight finger burns on the metal trim

However, nice even browning, sensible price and the aforementioned ‘massive slots’ makes this slight issue pale into insignificance. Ours is a 2 slicer, looks like the 4 slicer has 2 separate 2 slice circuits rather than 4 individual ones.

Edit – yep, that’s the one. You found it as I was typing. 😀

sweepy
    Free Member

Toasters (and kettles) **** me right off. Dont tell me we can put men on the moon, but simple kitchen appliances are beyond our capabilities. One day I swear i’ll get off my hole and make the perfect, reliable toaster (and kettle) and i’ll be hailed as a god by all.

Cougar

One day I swear i’ll get off my hole and make the perfect, reliable toaster (and kettle) and i’ll be hailed as a god by all.

You’ve got my vote, brother. If you can make it fit a Warby’s slice (the toaster, not the kettle) you will indeed be a prince among men.

Thinking about it, I think my current kettle is also Morphy Richards. Little fella’s done good since he used to work with Tony Hart.

dbcooper
    Free Member

We got a dualit for our wedding in 2003. Still looks good and works fine.

Cougar

Morphy Richards acquired. Cheers all.

It’s currently doing its “stink the house out with melty plastic smell” bedding in. I’ll report back in a bit.

tthew

Need pictures, not just a verbal report.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I like the look of the ‘Sage by Heston’ ones, which is actually just a rebranded Breville.

The ‘quick look’ and ‘little bit more’ buttons are something that all toasters should have!

cheers_drive

I’ve got that safe one too, it’s better than average especially for crumpets or bagels but isn’t as good as hotel conveyor belt toasters. Why doesn’t someone make a domestic version?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Toastertrackworld’ is closed to new replies.