Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Toaster&KettleTrackWorld
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Pimpmistress Jazz and I are getting a new kettle and actually buying a toaster (we don’t currently own one).

We’re both agreed, as we’re buying them together, we may as well get them to match.

I studied product design and work in graphic design, and I like Duelit kit.

Pimpmistress Jazz is a far more practical teacher, with far more ‘practical’ tastes*.

What litters your kitchen counter at home, and what should we get?

*Read less designery poncy / quality, depending on your point of view.

jam-bo

No idea. Stainless something or other that was on special on the end of an aisle about five years ago.

Toaster toasts.

Kettle boils.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

We have a Bosch kettle and matching toaster, the only kettle I’ve ever had with more than one button.

samuri
    Free Member

Walk into ASDA, buy cheapest kettle, buy cheapest toaster. Enjoy.

My wife has a steel kettle that sits on the cooker. It takes seventeen hours to boil. I’m usually sat down with a nice brew and half way through the first chapter by the time she has her tea sorted but apparently, according to her, water in a plastic kettle boils at a different temperature.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve been to the kitchen to check; we’ve got red ones. DeLonghi, apparently and they are red, which obviously boils and toasts faster than other colours.

I’d look them up on the web, but I’m scared to know how much Mrs Crikey paid…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

If you want your toast done in the century you started it off then dont get a dualit. We got one as a wedding present and honestly its some sort of toast time machine.

Honest advice – a free Which subscription is – well free for the first month. They always have recent toasters, kettle etc.

Dualit dont average out well. At all.

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve looked…

Boils water and makes toast without any drama.

£60 or so each.

thecrookofdevon

Dualit basic 2 slice toaster here (in red). The best bit of kitchen kit I have ever bought. Yes they cost significantly more than your average toaster but they are bombproof and you can replace all the bits. Oh and they have no stupid buttons apart from the 1 or 2 sides thing. Just a simple dial which then unwinds for a given period of time perfectly toasting your bread/bagel etc. Perfection!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dualit toaster & kettle here too. Both do what theyr’e supposed to &, (more importantly to Mrs G) match the rest of the kitchen. (they do look good mind)

chaos

Morphy Richards matching pair – rubbish, avoid.

The toast takes so long the bread is completely dust dry on the inside by the time it’s browned. Useless at doing just one piece (though that is a rare event).

The kettle is slow and astonishingly noisy for what it’s doing.

Do the Dualit users not get irritated by the noisy timer?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve just one requirement from a toaster. Fit a **** modern sized slice of bread in horizontally so it toasts evenly!!! We bought a “posh” toaster, it still doesn’t fit a “Warburtons” size slice of bread! Shit!!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ovbiously not, as I’ve no idea what your’e on about!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Would somebody please buy one of these and tell me if they work well.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Ovbiously not, as I’ve no idea what your’e on about!

Nope. they’re not irrated. They’z dead by the time the toast is done.

chiefgrooveguru

It was a wedding present:

It’s still as awesome as one could reasonably expect a toaster to be.

cranberry
    Free Member

Dualit = ace.

Well built, british and repairable if they wear out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wrightyson

I know that feeling , i like scottish plain bread – i need a 4 slice toaster with 2 long slots as oppose all these posh toasters you get with 4 slices next to each other , retarded design,

Limits my toasting choice , its a 30 quid delongi i took from my parents when i left as they bought new to match kitchen.

Kettles a 15quid item from tesco and is silver.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Dualit 4 slice. We had a 5 toasters in less than 4 years prior to buying the dualit which has just worked as it should for around 8 years now. The only downside is the slots are a little narrow to fit a overblown farmhouse slice in.

juanking

Dualit kettle and toaster here, utter rubbish. Top knob broke off the kettle and the toasters browning setting is either based on some strange space time continuum or it decides exactly how you don’t want your toast. Utter rubbish. German next time.

somafunk

As i have a Kitchenaid artisan food processor (excellent) and a Kitchenaid artisan coffee bean grinder (also excellent) i thought their Artisan Two slice toaster would also be excellent, nope…..it’s utter shit – the toasting elements that are wound round the insulators are wound far too tight and they don’t heat up evenly thus leaving bread untoasted. Doesn’t bother me anymore though as i stopped eating bread so that knocked the stress of having to cope with uneven browned toast on the head.

For kettles i own a breville colourselect which is also shit, sometimes it switches of before it boils so if you’re not paying attention you get a lukewarm cup of tea, sometimes the just boiled “beeeeep” continues till you switch it off and back on or you take a spaz and punch it till it stops, sometimes the kettle will light up and cycle through all 9 colours for no apparent reason while beeping loudly which can be disconcerting in the middle of the night as you wake up thinking your suffering a flashback due to those acid and pills you popped back in the early 90’s rave scene.

I may buy a new kettle soon, all i want is something small, very quick to boil and has the ability to boil one cup at a time.

petefromearth

The magimix toaster is fantastic. Similar price to the dualit and well worth it. Has a satisfying ding when the toast pops up. Can fit nice chunky bread too.

Got a 6 slice dualit as well at my mrs’s bakery. It looks cool and does make very nice toast. You have to cut the bread quite skinny though which gets annoying, and I often put the timer on and forget about out it until it’s gone cold!

bol

Cheap Bosch kettle and matching toaster came to less than £50 from Amazon if I recall. They’re quite nicely designed (I did product design too FWIW). Where we live kettles don’t last all that long (even Dualit ones), and toasters get scabby fairly quickly, so we buy cheap and fairly often.

tutgareth
    Free Member

Dualit all the way for me 🙂

Markie
    Free Member

We have the four slice Dualit as above. Good, unless your piece of bread is anything other than perfectly shaped and flat – woe betide you if you are toasting frozen bread and the loaf got slightly squashed before it froze… the bread will jam in the toaster and then burn.

I think they do slightly more complex models with wider slots that close in around the bread whilst allowing for more bread thickness variation. I’d go for one of them.

sharkbait
    Free Member

4 slice dualit here. Had is for 11 years and still working as we’ll as the day it was unboxed although it has had one replacement timer.. Wide slots allows it to cope with all sorts of thick stuff and it makes awesome toasties.

Conversely I’d never buy a dualit kettle and just use some cheap plastic thing.

FuzzyWuzzy

Would somebody please buy one of these and tell me if they work well.

@DD
    – had one of those for a few years now. They work pretty well (toaster bit seems find to me although doesn’t like especially thick slices), the egg bit is pretty neat to – makes things like poached eggs on a toast a breeze. I don’t really use it much these days though as cutting down on bread, the egg part is still good for doing hard boiled eggs though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers Fuzzy. 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

My girlfriend and I have both had versions these for about 5 years now, they’ve worked well and were dirt cheap.

I also have the matching kettle though it’s been in storage for a year or so. That also worked fine. Both have survived the rigours of shared kitchen and student use throughout that time.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

A compromise has been reached.

A Dualit toaster and a something else kettle.

But they have to match (and she doesn’t like chrome)…

Suggestions?

dc11
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Kenwood kMix range? If you swerve the hipster colours they’re actually quite a clean looking design, the ‘whistle’ style kettle is particularly nice. IMO, of course.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

No. I shall do though. 😀

shifter
    Free Member

For Darcy. My lunch egg didn’t look as good as the one in your pic. Usually use a pan…

IMG_00000085 by woldspinner, on Flickr

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Right, don’t tell mrs deadly but I’m off to break the toaster. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Emails Mrs DD*

shifter
    Free Member

Don’t be putting water or eggs in your normal toaster ffs!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Kenwood toaster and kettle here. 8 years old and working a treat, just need to descale the kettle occasionally.

cheers_drive

@DD just get one of these a keep your toaster. Does boiled eggs too. I hate clutter in the kitchen a complained when Mrs CD purchased it but it’s great for poached and particularly boiled eggs.
    [Img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91M60I7xYLL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]
    Not sure how serious you are about the Tefal toast poach thing but as a former industrial design student it reminds me of a student design project.

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

The Breville Hot Cup is good if you are always having cups of coffee on your own as it makes one cup at a time. (saves energy and “help the environment”)

It’s not good for making lots of hot water or if you have small cups.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not sure how serious you are about the Tefal toast poach thing but as a former industrial design student it reminds me of a student design project.

😆 Good point. I just love the “I fancy poached egg on toast” convenience of it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Toaster&KettleTrackWorld’ is closed to new replies.