• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by poah.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • To Zee, or not to Zee
  • jonathonoates
    Free Member

I’ve been lucky enough to have been given a CRC gif voucher from my employer — get in! — and I’ve wanted to upgrade my Shimano BR-M355 Altus hydraulic discs for a while…

I would describe myself as a beginner, but fairly aggressive rider. I don’t mind throwing my bike around a trail centre, pump track or just ‘having a go’ at any ‘ol urban obstacle either. I like fast and flowing single track or rattling down several sets of stairs and off drops when I can’t get to a trail equally as much!

I’m thinking that a Zee M640 disc on a 180mm rotor would be good up front — with a powerful four piston calliper.

I was then thinking of an SLX M7000 on a 160mm would suffice at the rear and would save some cash.

Weight isn’t really a consideration (I think the Zee calliper is only 50g heavier anyway) but cash is!

Would SLX at both ends be good enough or is there a marked difference between the two given my riding style.

Lastly couple of Qs: Are the Zee and SLX leavers similar is size and leaver length (I don’t want the bike to look ridiculous!) and should I go for the XT RT86 Ice-Tech or SLX RT66 rotors?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

STATO
    Free Member

The Zee is powerful, and easy big power means normal power easier. I noticed an improvement because I put them on my DH bike in place of old SLX, I wouldn’t personally bother with Zee for a trail bike.

Regarding rotor, standard Shimano steel or if you want flashy the alu centred floating ones, again the ice-tech is not really worth a lot unless you are already cooking brakes.

sharkattack

You’re thinking about it way too much.

SLX and Zee are both awesome brakes that will do exactly what you want.

Don’t run a mismatched set. You’ll look like some kind of inbred delinquent.

EDIT: Yeah, ice-tech rotors are crap. Someone will be along in a second to tell you how they’re the best thing ever. All I know is I nuked a set in 3 days in the Alps having never, ever worn out a rotor before. I just use Superstar now.

honourablegeorge

My OCD couldn’t cope with different levers on either side of the bar.

Even different calipers makes me twitch a bit.

SLX are hugely capable, I would think trail centres, drops and urban riding would be well within their capabilities – you wouldn’t need Zee unless you’re mainly headed for the Alps or loads of DH – even at that, the SLX probably won’t be found wanting.

sharkattack

….unless you’re mainly headed for the Alps or loads of DH – even at that, the SLX probably won’t be found wanting.

My SLX brakes have been to the Alps 3 times now. My trail bike is my girlfriends DH bike when we’re over there and she’s dragged them all the way down every trail in the PDS for weeks on end and they’ve never stopped working.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Zee are great – powerful as ****, but I’ve a lot of issues with leaky leavers & caliper seals :/

I’d honestly go with Deore so you can bin them when they get tempramental & get more or not bother with Shimano. I’m very Hope-curious ATM, but switching over on 4 bikes is gonna be painful on my finances.

rocketman
    Free Member

Zees are there if you need them. They feel just like Deore/SLX/XT up to a point and then bite really hard. Levers are like Deore with dimples and they work great with RT86s.

Mine were great out of the box but after a careful home bleed they are INSANE. Recommended

sofaboy73
    Free Member

just to be awkward – I find zee’s and slx / xt different in their feel. personally I find the zee’s have more modulation that goes with their increased power and feel less grabby and on / off (i suspect due to the four pot design with the smaller piston biting first) compared to the slx’s. that’s not to say slx’s aren’t good brakes, for the money I think their brilliant, but personally the difference in feel (perceived or actual) between front and rear would get on my nerves. also I wouldn’t worry about zee’s being too much brake or people saying you only need them for the alps etc – I think they work well for an aggressive rider as you can control their power well and I’d always prefer to be ‘over braked’ than under braked. as to rotors – you can’t really go wrong with any but the very cheapest rotors. personally I have ice-techs because they were going cheap when I changed them and have had no issues with them

jonathonoates
    Free Member

Thank you everyone for your input!

I will probably go with the consensus that is SLX. I think sofaboy73‘s point in particular — about the feel being different — is very valid.

Let’s face it, I think SLX would be considerably better than the bottom end BR-M355 Altus stock discs.

While I’d enjoy knowing I’ve got the power I’m not sure I’d be pushing enough to use it all. And I certainly wouldn’t want to go over the bars accidentally either!! The SLX leavers with the adjustment knobs look slick 😉

For cost savings I’ll go with standard rotors too.

Now, I can max go to 10spd without changing my rear hub/wheel…

A Zee crankset is cheaper than SLX — looks a load better IMO — and comes with the Hollowtech II BB which I’d need to boot!

But.. should I match it with a Zee shifter and derailleur (SLX 10spd cassette) or go SLX there too? Not looked into the cost implications of this yet but I think Zee is a little cheaper on CRC.

siwhite
    Free Member

Pricing at CRC can be odd – current XT brakes are (or were a little while back) cheaper than SLX. I bought a Saint shifter for less than a Zee a year or two ago. I’d recommend you look at the whole range – an upgrade migh be very inexpensive. Just avoid the current XT brakes – they have a poor reputation…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Do Zee cranks weigh a ton or did I dream it?

Does it even matter?

poah
    Free Member

if you want zee get zee. I’ve got Zee and Saint on my bikes with ice tech rotors

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘To Zee, or not to Zee’ is closed to new replies.