Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • To whippet or not to whippet
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve had a bit of an unexpected Tax rebate and I really fancy a 100mm HT for general razzing duties and maybe some races at some point next year.

I’d be looking to build it up with the wheels, drive train & finishing kit off my Handjob (with a new post) and for the money I can’t think of anything better, especially the deal with the SID’s thrown in.

I also like the idea of the swap-outs enabling to run it SS or geared, that way I can reduce the fleet at the same time, thus generating cash for some blingy 10speed up grades 😆

Any other suggestions?

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

What chainset are you running at present?

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the whippet longingly for a while. I would if I had an unexpected rebate!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a Raceface Evolve XC triple, but I’m considering just 1×9’ing it

cookeaa

Would a Scandal be an option?

Only an extra 700g or so, and £170 less so leaves a touch more budget for other bling items…

jonny-m
    Free Member

I looked at whippets in the flesh and decided otherwise ! So my advice is go and see one first

steve_b77
    Free Member

Jonny – I saw and sat on one at MM and rather liked it.

Scandal is an option, but when you say ‘only’ another 700g’s it’s 50% heavier and not massively lighter than my Cove Handjob to be fair

cookeaa

Would a Scandal be an option?

Only an extra 700g or so, and £170 less so leaves a touch more budget for other bling items…

njee20
    Free Member

700g saving for £130, not to mention the stiffness benefits etc. I think you’d be nuts to buy a ScandAl.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Next question is do you go for the bundle with the SID’s or use my ’08 Reba Races?

cookeaa

Whoops I got that wrong, list weights are 1300g for the whippet (£399) and 1588g for the scandal (£235)… So a 288g gram saving for £165.

I reckon the £165 difference thrown at a posher set of wheels could be worth it… having said that the Sid/Whippet bundle is a good deal…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone know what’s going on with the scandal, only 29ers in stock it seems.

nuke

Just got a Scandal…18″ 26er came in at 1540g on my digi scales so under quoted (Maybe the 1588g quote was for the original Scandal and they haven’t updated to reflect dropout changes 😕 ). Only 40g more than the claimed weight of the c456. I was happy with that…going to use it over the winter with an Alfine.

Thought about getting a Whippet but the chainring clearance issues, another BB standard (BB92) and mixed messages on quality of finish put me off.

steve_b77
    Free Member

cookeaa – got a decent’ish set of wheels, WTB laser Disc XC on hope pro II’s so that sides sorted.

It’s the little bits like headset, BB & front mech that add to the price as they’re the only things I’ve got that don’t fit 🙁

Nuke – what have you heard about the finishes? It’s the gloss black one thats available so it’s not the bare lacquered carbon

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘To whippet or not to whippet’ is closed to new replies.