Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • To use a SS chain tensioner or not
  • jezandu
    Free Member

Now I’ve changed my frame to an on one scandal I have a choice. Horizontal or vertical drop outs. I have used a chain tensioner on my previous frame without any hassles and have found wheel removal quick and easy. If by using just a chain tug in the horizontal drop outs will wheel set up be a pain, if so is it worth doing. Agreed it looks neat but is that the only reason?

Jez http://www.followingthechainline.blogspot.com

jonba
    Free Member

I changed from a 456 to a ss inbred.

The horizontal track ends work fine with discs. Had no problems setting up the wheels, getting tension or aligning the discs. Getting the wheel out is simple – push it towards the front of the dropout to get a little slack, take the chain off the sprocket then remove backwards – repeat to put back on.

If you are never going to go with gears then the horizontal option is much better ime. Less bits to buy, less bits to break, cleaner look, quieter drive chain and generally less problems.

I wouldn’t go back.

charliedontsurf

Horizontal, less clutter,
    dead easy to set up.
    Looks better too.

flashes
    Free Member

I concur…..much neater, no real problem getting the wheel out, use a Surly chaintug, it’s a thing of joy…………….

jezandu
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for the replys would it make a difference if I needed to change sprocket sizes to suit race courses. For instance I know I’ll be doing short fast races as well as kielder 100. Is the tensioner method more versatile for this?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for the replys would it make a difference if I needed to change sprocket sizes to suit race courses. For instance I know I’ll be doing short fast races as well as kielder 100. Is the tensioner method more versatile for this?

If its too much effort to swap a cog get a rear mech and shifter 😆

(most frames have enough movement in the dropouts to be able to use a couple of different sized cogs with the same chain)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘To use a SS chain tensioner or not’ is closed to new replies.