Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • To tug or not to tug that is the question?
  • birdl123
    Free Member

I need to know what the general feeling is to using chain tugs on a SS with horizontal dropouts and a bolt on White Ind. hub (not the eccentric one).

I have been using a Surly tug so far but with a 33/18 gearing I just can’t get the chain adjustment right without losing a lot of the available adjustment the Surly tug has even on a new chain, which means I’m flying through chains.

I’ve tried a full half link chain but that thing was way too noisy!

I’m now running a single half link in a regular 1/8 chain but still lose a lot of initial adjustment space in the dropouts.

I guess the question is, do I actually need a tug or can I just bolt it up with no slippage even on the hills?

Thanks.

breadcrumb

If its a bolt up hub I don’t think you really need a chain tug to be honest.

I’d try it without.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are you using cheap ss chains ?

birdl123
    Free Member

What do you mean by cheap?
    I’ve tried SRAM, Shimano, KMC, I think the half link was Gussett.

Is there one you recommend?

samuri
    Free Member

I’d never ride SS without a tug myself. Plus I always find SS goes through chains fast. My fixie will need the wheel pulling back at least once a week.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

SS is fine without a chaintug if you have a bolt up axle, BMXs prove this.

Chain wear doesnt really matter so much on an SS, when it stretches, just remove a link (or your half link) and then rejoin it.

You could also file your dropouts downa bit more if you have room, this’ll give you more space.

samuri
    Free Member

SS is fine without a chaintug if you have a bolt up axle, BMXs prove this.

I disagree. BMX’s are used entirely differently to a mountain bike going up big hills. Quick spurts with low gearing, not mashing the pedals over rocky ground for hours at a time. My bolt on wheels move forwards with no tugs.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I disagree. BMX’s are used entirely differently to a mountain bike going up big hills. Quick spurts with low gearing, not mashing the pedals over rocky ground for hours at a time. My bolt on wheels move forwards with no tugs.

🙂

I dunno, tighten your wheels more! My BMX axles are 14mm and they have big nuts on the end that you can lean on with a long spanner.

Perhaps its the wheel size? More torque or leverage or something with big wheels?

duner
    Free Member

I commute about 10 miles a day fixed and have never felt the need for chain tugs. Need to tension the chain every few months I guess. Last chain I rode till it was so worn out 5 teeth of my 16 tooth sprocket had snapped off but it still pedaled fine.

birdl123
    Free Member

I’m not sure but I suppose commuting would be a bit less pressure, where we ride it’s not massively hilly but there are some sharp climbs here and there.

Would you be comfortable with no tugs on a SS MTB ridden purely off road?

kcal

horizontal drop-outs, normal chains, Surly tug here (admittedly a Surly hub as well).

Yes, have to adjust tension ‘often’, but its not used for commute – roller coaster singletrack, MTB, some short sharp climbs that wreck the chain tension I guess.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘To tug or not to tug that is the question?’ is closed to new replies.