Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • To the two monkeys in RAF lycra riding through South Gosforth today:
  • toppers3933
    Free Member

i get your point but i dont find it works like that. in the end annoyed drivers just try to overtake anyway. and drive off thinking cyclists are knobs. to you its assertive to them its confrontational and theyll meet confrontation with confrontation. and the last time i had a confrontation with a car, i lost.

wallace1492
    Free Member

Riding two abreast, Riding single file in the middle of the road. Wearing lycra.

Take your pick.

Depending on the road layout and the conditions, there may well have been a good reason for this. It discourages overtaking when there is bad roads, heading towards pinch points or in heavy traffic. You may not have seen what they did, so therefore you assume they are being deliberately obstructive, but in fact they are riding defensively in order to protect the fact that they are pretty vunerable road users *. A wee bit of patience does not go amiss. I even got a thumbs up last night from a 4×4 driver when I signaled clearly and changed lanes promptly.

* reserves the judgement that they might have just been eejits!

nickf
    Free Member

the last time i had a confrontation with a car, i lost

Same here, though I did destroy two doors and left a large dent in the roof when I landed.

So more of a score-draw.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    backhander
    Free Member

Depending on the road layout and the conditions

I think that this is key; I’m all for people protecting themselves. I must admit that I do get irked when there’s a couple of cyclists hogging the entire road having a nice chin wag for no good reason.

grahamh
    Free Member

Remember absolutely nothing should get in the way of the great god ‘Car’

Sandwich

So they were being considerate by ensuring you only had to have enough clear road to overtake 1 bike length? Reducing your time exposed to danger while on the wrong side of the road. Some people are never satisfied.

stevede
    Free Member

When considerate drivers stay patiently behind me on narrow country roads i tend to pull in at my nearest convenient point and let them past thanking them as they go, one good turn deserves another imo. Do get a bit of road rage from time to time when idiotic drivers pull into cycle lanes or cut me up suddenly – usually in my Royal Navy cycling top when out on the road bike so i’ll keep an eye out for a ‘to the idiot in the royal navy lycra top thread!’

Xylene
    Free Member

Did you clean your windows as you drove past?

jonb
    Free Member

Where abouts in south Gosforth. Given the double roundabout and traffic islands I ride a good section of that in the middle of the road as there is not enough room to overtake safetly.

kennyp
    Free Member

People in cars are effectively two abreast, so why shouldn’t cyclists be?

TooTall
    Free Member

*hands up*

I do ride in the middle of the road now and then – especially when turning right or avoiding parked cars. Your list of their crimes that attracted your displeasure is remarkably crap.

convert

Sometimes when I shop I like to dawdle and check out what’s in the windows but I’m always careful to check I’m not blundering in the way of people wanting to move a little faster as much as possible. There are times however when I want to move a little quicker and do find little old ladies getting in the way a bit annoying but I do my best not to bump into them. I’m a courteous shopper.

Sometimes when I swim I like to take it easy and warm down or do some drills but I’m always careful to check I’m not blundering in the way of people wanting to move a little faster as much as possible. There are times however when I want to move a little quicker and do find little old ladies getting in the way a bit annoying but I do my best not to bump into them. I’m a courteous swimmer.

Sometimes when I use the roads I like to use a slower vehicle and get some exercise but I’m always careful to check I’m not blundering in the way of people wanting to move a little faster as much as possible. There are times however when I want to move a little quicker in a faster vehicle and I do find those on their slower vehicles getting in the way a bit annoying but I do my best not to bump into them. I’m a courteous road user.

Some people are born courteous and some are not.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I really should have known better than even mentioning it. The lunatic fringe will never accept that cyclists also have to drive cars and can find the manners of other cyclists somewhat lacking.

For the record I was a few cars behind them coming down Mathew Bank, across the roundabouts and on towards the Findus factory. None of the cars in front of me tried to overtake down the bank or at the roundabouts to warrant any retribution. It was on the road to Findus before the dualled section that I thought they did themselves a dis-service.

I never felt the need to “wave” as I passed or toot or race past them. I just felt they did themselves and therefore cyclists in general a bit of poor PR.

Kids now in bed, I am off for a ride.

TooTall
    Free Member

I think it is the way you have hinted at what they did wrong rather than just saying what it was. It has been a vague guessing game since your first post.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I thought it was spelt RAPHA?

rewski
    Free Member

kennyp – Member
    People in cars are effectively two abreast, so why shouldn’t cyclists be?

You for real?

yunki
    Free Member

when I was an ‘orrible little chav.. many many years ago.. if I was getting on me mums nerves she would tell me to go and play in the traffic…

kennyp
    Free Member

You for real?

About half and half. It is the case when you think about it though, isn’t it? Most cyclists I know pay more tax towards road upkeep than motorists, so we have as much moral entitlement to use they road as they do.

antigee

came across a driving instructor and pupil practising rule 163 yesterday

I was driving the opposite way on a national speed limit narrow ratrun at probably well below the speed of many cars that use the route

Learner driver was giving very adequate room to pass cyclist but as it was on a blind bend my emergency stop coming the other way probably prevented injury as I’m sure the driving instructor would probably have also judged a sharp pull to the left appropriate in the same way as not prepared to slow cars following by waiting

scaredypants

that “rule 163” image above is just bollocks though

that car is giving the cyclist way more room than it would a car (at least 6ft clear space) – try that with another car and you’d be on the grass over the other side of the road

D0NK

So the OP (a cyclist) is complaining about cyclists riding legally (2 abreast, single file, in lycra all legal) on a cycling forum.

It’s no wonder people hate retarded forum users.

Junkyard
    Free Member

still doing it 🙄

really should have known better than even mentioning it. The lunatic fringe will never accept that cyclists also have to drive cars and can find the manners of other cyclists somewhat lacking.

As above they were doing something perfectly legal and a fellow cyclist complained.
    TBH listening to rants like this from so called cyclists has made me even more nervous on the roads. When fellow cyclists get cross at us using the roads in a perfectly legal manner I despair I really do as for insulting us as lunatics for pointing out the law to you have a word with yourself eh

D0NK

Stalker!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I know it is getting worrying at least you can always outride me

angryratio
    Free Member

Riding on the dual near findus?
    fricking stupid full stop if you ask me.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s just a bit of a delay
    On my 16 mile commute I only do about 2 miles on the road, I reckon cars delay me by at least 5 minutes, purely on that 2 mile section. I delay them by oooh, mostly zero seconds because they just cane it past but lets be generous and say I add an extra 3 seconds onto 50 drivers drive home (which is bobbins because I just catch them at the next set of lights). I’m still held up more, a lot more.

Out of me and the car drivers, guess who looks the most angriest at the other…. I’ll give you a hint, I get home feeling rather chirpy.

Actually I love drivers getting angry at me simply because I’m on a bike because they’re 9 million percent wrong in every single thing they’re angry about. They’re a terribly sad parody of themselves.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Junkyard, I’m fully with you mate. It makes mr despair how car centric our society is that even cyclists hate themselves. I take solace in the fact that one day soon the whole automobile lifestyle will collapse and the fat and lazy will also have to cycle.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘To the two monkeys in RAF lycra riding through South Gosforth today:’ is closed to new replies.