• This topic has 60 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • To the sound of shuddering within the corridors of the UCI….
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Colnago roll out some newness!

Nope. It’s not a crosser. Not at all.

Clickification.

rOcKeTdOg

One of the more interesting tidbits was Colnago’s claim that braking distance on the C59 Disc is 52% of the same bike with calipers. Missing is what rim/pad combo that’s compared against, but still, that’s HALF the distance. And that’s with their stock 140mm rotors on both front and rear. Kanzler said they’ll offer a 160mm front rotor upgrade for riders over 200lbs.

needs a 185 on the front 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its actually the UCI pushing discs on road bikes.Gawd knows why,its only fatty mtb’ers who struggle with rim brakes anyway.

cynic-al
    Free Member

and they didn’t even slam the stem for the promo pic…

rOcKeTdOg

*drools*

brakes
    Free Member

colnag-oooooooooh.
    very nice.

This link has more shots and detail on the brakes.
    Much prefer ‘natural’ shots to promo shots.

markwalker
    Free Member

ha i was thiking of a 203 on the front ,wood look awsome

Suggsey
    Free Member

Being one of those oversized MTB’ers I am really liking the look of them, maybe on my shopping list for next year.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Amazing it’s taken this long. Rim brakes are archaic.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

gets round the issue of shit braking on carbon rims in the wet.

RustySpanner

Excellent – road cycling finally moves into the 21st century.

However, as cyclists are almost as reactionary as guitarists, I’m sure the old school will all hate it with a passion until the pros prove the benefits.

All we need now is an efficient belt drive/internal gear system and we might just be able to claim the first genuine, practical evolutionary step forward in bike design since the safety replaced the ordinary.

rickmeister

Waiting for aero hydraulic brake lines….

RealMan
    Free Member

and they didn’t even slam the stem for the promo pic…

This. A thousand times this.

Also, white tubs?

Really looking forward to getting a winter bike with discs.. Awesome braking, and no callipers positioned exactly where all the muck goes to get all gummed up and stop working.

cynic-al
    Free Member

internal cabling appears to be fashionable again…WHY OH WHY?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mint! Utterly pointless IMO, but mint!

All we need now is an efficient belt drive/internal gear system and we might just be able to claim the first genuine, practical evolutionary step forward in bike design since the safety replaced the ordinary.

dissregarding freewheels, freehubs, dereilieur gears, front mechs, about 10 different evolutions of brakes (shoes, direct acting, rod pull, side pull, U-brakes, single pivot, dual pivot, those funky bontranger/shimano dual mouting brakes, drum brakes and disk brakes on crossers/tourers for ages), cranks (1 pieces, cottered, cotterless, 2 piece), A-headsets, and SPD’s, yes this is the first evolution in bike design ever. :p

RustySpanner

Nah, all the others were just modifications of an existing design. 🙂

Recumbents don’t count ‘cos they’re too low to be safe, so not practical.

I reckon a fully magnetic, frictionless drive system based powered solely by the riders’ own smugness is the next logical step forward. 😀

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

yeah, because stopping the wheels rotating is the rate limiting factor in stopping my road bike…. no its not, I can unfortunately lock up the wheels at the touch of a lever, will these discs offer any decent modulation? smaller discs will be better with the tiny contact area of a road tyre.

RealMan
    Free Member

internal cabling appears to be fashionable again…WHY OH WHY?

Cause it’s boss.

grum
    Free Member

What’s the point having really good brakes when your tires have no grip though? 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Lock the back up and drift it. Makes it harder for your opponents to draft you. Also looks cool.

brassneck

Essentially, the only reason I can think of for discs on a road bike is that the overall bike looks well reem.
    Reason enough I think.

Klunk
    Free Member

Waiting for aero hydraulic brake lines….

no need, will be completely internal. such lovely clean lines.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Essentially, the only reason I can think of for discs on a road bike is that the overall bike looks well reem.
    Reason enough I think.

ohhh, no. There’s a whole new world of “verticaly compliant yet latteray stiff” marketing BS to be dreampt up, that’s the main reason.

As others have said you can lock the wheels up on a road bike*, but then you can with cantis and no one deny’s disks are better on mountainbikes in terms of power. The difference is I’ve rarely been on the road bike and wanted more power, maybe I’d want it if I tried it, but the only time I’ve avtualy wanted it was decending Whinnats Pass, and that felt mroe like I was about to be catapulted over the front or snap the forks than go to quickly, neither feeling would be solved by disks!

*which is a pointless point to make, if I get my weight right back on my Pitch I can’t lock up my new shimano XT disks and they’re widely regarded as the strongest trail brakes out there!

TiRed

needs an internally routed front cable. And I’d like smaller, not larger disks, since we are talking aesthetics. I’d like unobtrusive.

atlaz
    Free Member

Any new info on how road bike discs handle long descents for normal humans (i.e. lots and lots of feathering/panic braking) after all the scare stories?

crazy-legs

Any new info on how road bike discs handle long descents for normal humans (i.e. lots and lots of feathering/panic braking) after all the scare stories?

Last time this was discussed on here someone linked to a story from one of the companies where they’d done dozens of descents in the Alps and deliberately tried to break the brakes – dragging them, panic braking, high speed, low speed, the whole works and they just couldn’t get them to fade.

The only concern I’d have is about a big crash with lots of riders and a rider landing on the red hot disc of someone else’s bike. Other than that, the scare stories about fingers being chopped off or brakes failing are just that. Disc brakes aren’t new, they’ve been on MTBs for a decade and cars before that so it’s about time that road bikes caught up.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So whats the benefit then, truly?

I can lock both wheels using my cheapish road rim brakes as it is, so power isn’t the problem.

Is a disc brake/lighter rim combination coming in lighter than a rim brake and slightly heavier rim?

Or is it just because it allows companies to bring out yet more bikes and remind us how crap rim brakes are and that WE HAVE to buy their latest greatest bike.

Or is it just for the sheep that can not possibly be behind in the fashion stakes?

Oh I can see the point on a winter bike..

FuzzyWuzzy

Modulation
    All-weather performance
    No rim braking surface to wear/overheat
    Shift weight from the rim to the hub

Given the UCI are going to force lawyer tabs be left on post-Tour as well I don’t even see the issue of slower wheel changes for pros is valid any more.

crazy-legs

So whats the benefit then, truly?

100% consistent power and modulation, regardless of weather.
    You never wear out your rims (I’ve blown up a rim on a road bike when it wore out through braking).
    Lighter/stronger/stiffer rims cos they don’t need to incorporate a brake track.
    Full internal cable (hose) routing – more aero, neater, less maintenance.

atlaz
    Free Member

If I can avoid situations like last week in future I’d be happy. Quick ride after work, rain starts on a climb, descending on the other side it was touch and go if I’d make the corners given less grip on the road and wet rims so I was sitting up with some braking all the way down.

Discs on MTB have spoiled me perhaps, but consistent braking irrespective of the conditions is something I’m keen on for the road bike.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

why 1×11 or wider ratio 1×10?

mooman
    Free Member

Brakes on a road bike are only about slowing you down rather than stopping yous anyway.
    I dont want powerful sharp brakes when I only got 23mm of 120psi smooth rubber underneath me.

Happy to look retro thanks.

jonba
    Free Member

The only concern I’d have is about a big crash with lots of riders and a rider landing on the red hot disc of someone else’s bike

While I doubt being branded ni a crash is going to be fun it adds no more fear than having my skin scraped off by tarmac, people riding over/into me, people landing on me, chainrings and all the other pointy bits on bikes.

For me on the road I don’t think it would be a massive benefit at present. I wouldn’t upgrade my current bike. For people running carbon rims I can see why you would want discs and also on my next cx bike I will have discs.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

perhaps it’s more about (carbon) rims and wheels than it is about brakes and braking.

Klunk
    Free Member

disc pads on road bikes last a long long time, 4 years and 20,000 miles on a set of juicy 5 pads and they’ve still not worn half way through (and they did time on a mtb).

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Think Nana man has it.

Without the need for a braking surface on the rim… wheels can be lighter and more aero.

hels
    Free Member

I had my posh road bike out on sunday for the first time in a while. Was thinking “this is still a lovely wee bike, no reason to get another one”. Then nearly fell on my arse when had to grab the rear brake in a hurry and the back locked up (stuffing food in my face with right hand, sheep had set up an ambush) managed to save it but gave the sheep a good laff.

Disc brakes yay yay yay !! Where do I sign ??

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Think Nana man has it.

Without the need for a braking surface on the rim… wheels can be lighter and more aero.
    That’s what I was thinking, maybe they could do crazy things with wheels/rims if you take away the need to use the rim as a braking surface.
    There might be a commercial element as well. I’d be more likely to buy expensive (carbon) wheels if I wasn’t also going to be using them as a drum brake.

atlaz
    Free Member

hels – That accident would have happened with discs too you know. Clumsy overbraking is not fixed by hydro 😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Certianly going to make quick wheel changes in the event of a crevaison interesting…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘To the sound of shuddering within the corridors of the UCI….’ is closed to new replies.