Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • To the Lyrca Clad twit (Parkway Train Station)
  • Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Parkway Bristol is a nightmare traffic jam every morning and afternoon. Total mayhem.

cookeaa

not exactly helping the cause is it?

bit naive of you that, we could all ride to the letter of the highway code and we'd still get abuse and grief from drivers. [/quote]

How am I being Naive exactly? Just suggesting that acting in the same manner as a bad driver just because you’re on a bike doesn’t actually improve the image of cyclists with the wider public, I think people are too focused on the addition of a 2 ton metal box, yes they are more dangerous, but the absence of a car does not absolve you of all responsibility, I manage to cycle my own 20 mile in and out of town commute entirely within the letter and spirit of law I reckon, I’m not saying I don’t have the odd dealing with a 4 wheeled cock, but to be honest riding like a dick wouldn’t remove or reduce the dangers I encounter at all…

Using the idea of reducing risk as an excuse for taking risks seems pretty flimsy to me…
    Let’s be honest, its not about safety, people jump reds and cut across cars to save a few seconds, pretty much the same reason as half the arsey **** in motors have for driving that bit too close or screeching out of a junction without looking, you’re no better than them, thank God you haven’t got a bloody car…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

On the other hand, doing a quick 20 mile run out on the road(ish) bike last night & the motorists were pretty much all pleasant & helpful 8)

Coming up to a car turning right into a driveway & along side a parked car i could see the traffic backing up & no room to slip down the inside, so i started to gear down ready to stop. The slightly blinged-up Corsa in the queue ahead saw me coming & shuffled over to the right to give me enough room to continue without hardly slowing.
    Went past & gave a 'thank you' wave, & had a shock when they passed me shortly afterwards waving back – both driver & passenger looking like the stereotypical corsa driver but being nice to a cyclist!

cookeaa

I used to own a Corsa, and I am also lovely in real life, quite modest too… Honest.

bassspine
    Free Member

Said 'Lycra clad twunt' has been giving a poor example of how lovely we real cyclists are, let's redress the balance… just as an experiment, next time you're out on the road on your bike, try waving and smiling at every driver that gives you space. It's amazing how much positive vibe you get back. Take a proper road position, but be nice about it.

A quick thumbs up to a driver who passes you wide costs f3ck all, and gives the driver a warm glow….

D0NK

How am I being Naive exactly?

OK apologies you are right, knobber cyclists don't help but what I guess I was trying to say is "the cause" is fecked, ALL of us riding perfectly (never gonna happen anyway) is not going to fix it. A big increase in people cycling, proper driver/rider education and proper punishment for drivers* who maime and kill others through carelessness/wrecklessness might. I like the new motorbike awareness ads, would be nice to see similar pedal cycle ones.

you’re no better than them, thank God you haven’t got a bloody car

Dunno if this was aimed at me or the OPs "lycra clad twit", but I also own a car and don't ride or drive like that.

*yes the odd cyclist injures someone, you can string them up too if you want but the wholesale slaughter (very DM-esque) of pedestrians and cyclists by motorists and subsequent lenient sentences is indefensible.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

well this went ott. to put some context to this. I have lived in cambridge the nightmare cyclist city from hell, I have met 1000's bad riders but this bloke was on another planet. The carpark was free flowing and he was overtaking cars doing 15mph when he obviously could not go fast enough to safely overtake, he was causing every car to brake when he swerved in front, he was one of those cyclists who was obv trying to prove a point, in 17 years of driving it was the worst riding I have seen before. P1ssing 7/10 car drivers off is really bad going, wish i had it on film as I was shocked to see him overtaking in such a daft way. Ah well next time I wil just use my no claims bonus on him 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘To the Lyrca Clad twit (Parkway Train Station)’ is closed to new replies.