Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • To the huge group of riders at Haldon last night:
  • whytetrash

I think the OP has over-reacted totally, chances are the group may well have thought he was a straggler they were waiting for.

Looking at peoples faces is a natural reaction, I find I consciously have to try not to do it with a head mounted light on

OP needs to lighten up a bit ..how much did they really delay you by?

Try taking them up on the offer of a ride…sound like an ok bubnch to me!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Sorry for the offensive language! Don't know what I was thinking

😆

wheelz
    Free Member

I wonder if the responses on this thread would have been any dfferent if the OP had posted a message "To the huge group of walkers at Haldon last night"?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

A huge group of walkers and he didn't mow them down, and kill any survivors with his bare hands?

Gayer.

foxyrider
    Free Member

QUESTION:

How's the New "Red" route doing? Went there about 4 weeks ago and small land slides, trees down (one nearly killed me) and washed out singletrack sections haven't encouraged me to return sometime soon?

tim41
    Free Member

The 'ridge trail' red route is riding OK at present. The trees have been cleared and the landslide affected first singletrack section has been repaired. Still a few washed-out off camber bits here and there but they just add to the fun!

votchy
    Free Member

Hi Tim, glad to see you're still having fun down there, just stop acting like a nob and using offensive language, need to organise a 'Clent Duffers'(TM) visit some time this year to do some proper mincing riding 😀

sslowpace
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Tim41, you come across as a bit of a nob
    +
    Great way to get on with a fellow MTB'r

Hmmm.

DezB, I see what you did there 😉

davemcmorrow
    Free Member

Rode it last night at about 10pm and most of the damaged bits had been repaired. There are a couple of washed out sections but they just make it more interesting! Will try and get up there earlier next week if possible as did not realise there was a regular group ride. Will be riding up from Dawlish so will try and aim to be at the flyover for 7.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…This thread is a perfect example of just why I love STW so! Daft answers, circular logic, pithy humor, the complete and utter irrelevance of it all. I'm here, on the way back to the UK, using the free internet bar at Singapore airport, laughing at the screen like a loon, while all around me are looking morose and tired. Thanks STW! 😀

bagpuss
    Free Member

Tim has changed into a nob??? 😆

Nicely put Del, reckon I'd keep up?

Burchy1
    Free Member

No problem, especially with a fatty like Del about… 😉

bagpuss
    Free Member

Not him too? I should bring cake then?

Burchy1
    Free Member

yep, unless you want us to leave you lost in the middle of the forest for the killer deer to eat. 😯

bagpuss
    Free Member

Killer deer! ❗

Usually find grumpy squaddies on night ride on the moor, never happy probably 'cos they've usually got night vision goggles on and they don't work too well with HIDs and LEDs around.

Tuesday night was up widowmaker, down to Nuns Cross and along to Eylesbarrow then to Ditsworthy and sadly back to the van when someone else found his DX light only ran for 2 hours. We had one not very happy camper in the group who said nothing all ride, but then dropped out of Afan next month. Might be related to the OP?

grumblegrumbletoomanyrockslightfailingmoangroanmorerocksgrumble

Del

Hey Chris,
    you're welcome always, as you very well know. you'll have no bother keeping up. Piabetics like Burchy are dragging the average speed way down 😉

Dave,
    look out for the SSers and you'll find the obnoxious **** stw contributors on the ride. look forward to meeting you.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Pies? And cake? Haldon sounds like heaven 😀

You need to reply to my Afan e-mail

Del

mmmmmyeah. hadn't got round to that. clearly. 😳

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I would have stopped for a natter.

bagpuss
    Free Member

You have mail with the word bar highlighted to get your attention

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can't really fathom why people want to go out in huge (more than 10) groups really, makes the whole thing really slow with loads of hanging around getting cold.

STW ride recently:

IdleJon

Piabetics!! LOL! Perfect description of me.

A bunch of about 7 or 8 of us were spread across a tarmac cycle path here on a night ride a few weeks ago, having just finished a trail down the side of the valley.

A guy had to stop and politely asked us to move, and then he carried on his way on his tourer. We apologised etc.

Why were we blocking a cycle path?

Because it was 9pm on a winters night and we've never seen anyone else out at that time of the night on these tracks.

But of course it's not a trail centre.

deluded
    Free Member

LOL at some of the replies on this thread.

It’s interesting but whenever I chance upon a large group I feel more a sense of camaraderie than say irritation or frustration that they might hinder my progress in anyway. I cycle in Leigh Woods (Bristol) and access the area via North Road. At times, particular in the summer there can be some large club rides in addition to solo riders converging at the same time resulting in an almost entirely blocked road.

It’s about being reasonable. If you are a member of a large group and you see a solo rider heading towards you then IMHO you ought to alert other riders and allow the person through. By the same token if you are alone and you encounter a large group, then all that’s required is a pleasant salutation and a gesture that you want to get through. If this meets with disinterest then the only proportionate response left is to throw your bike down heavily to the ground and with helmeted head bowed, charge full steam into the group with bombers flaying.

All the best.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Well you lot sound like a complete bunch of Knobbers

What time do you meet up at t pub ?????

me 456 should be back in action for week wednesday (s/s no fuggin way) as for me well can you lot wait that long for a duffa like me

M6TTF
    Free Member

I also don't get the large group riding. You either end up breaking into smaller groups, or constantly waiting at various points to regroup, the ratio of flats/mechanicals multiplys tenfold and you end up taking hours to get nowhere fast. 6 or 7 riders max for me

sharki
    Free Member

How awesome, STW reveals it's cockmunchering fraternity, who spouts their disgust at people's lack of manners, which appear to be a GATEWAY…now how dare them stop and regroup at such a place…may i suggest one person dashing ahead to open the gate then waiting the rest of the day for every other rider in the area to come through..hell manners count yeah!

Could i please meet the OP on the trails and teach him a lesson in happiness, perhaps just point at other riders and say, " hey! look at though just out with mates having fun"

Bejesus, he should get to a trail centre and have to walk through a anti motorbike fencing…..how dare them…..

In my quest to learn about people, it's sad to hear these stories of utter wankerism..

Too all you happy buggers….hope your 2hrs of riding was ruined by a few seconds of getting pee'd off..now off you trot and take up golf with the other impatient tossers!

*rant over!*

And for those who don't get the big group riding thing….it's about making friends….there's still a place for that in modern civilization….

antigee

did any one say "you are going the wrong way"?

*i know it is a just a polite conversation opener

yunki
    Free Member

sharki… I love you

couldgetacarforthat
    Free Member

Do I get this right?

Mr Sceptical has a rant in the comfort and safety of his armchair. Far away from the 'Haldon hordes' only to get soundly 'beaten up' (metaphorically speaking of course) by a gang of vicious STWers.

yunki
    Free Member

ooh crikey it's all so macho

Del

thought this thread got taken down, as i searched for it the other day, and it wouldn't come up not matter what i tried. oh well.

sound like a complete bunch of Knobbers

Andy, think you have our number right there.
    be pleased to see you. from above – ley arms @ 6.30, or top of the cycle path, next to the a38 flyover at 7. every wednesday.
    Tim, Dave and I usually meet the rest at the top, as we 'go the other way'.
    fnar, wokka, etc.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmm

1 hour from Hemyock to the Ley in a Oil burning Picasso

It may be tight but next week I will give it a go

zaskar
    Free Member

The thread is a week old-let it be lol

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘To the huge group of riders at Haldon last night:’ is closed to new replies.